Any motorcycle riders?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by pvtbanks, May 12, 2016.

1. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

You can buy the additive by itself, to add to regular engine oil, but you can also buy Break-In oil in 1 quart or 5-quart containers.

[​IMG]

The oil is usually a single grade, like the SAE 30 in my earlier post, but it's also available in multi-grades.

I think breaking in (or "running in") procedures for new engines, including the use of special additives, were much more common 50 or so years ago when manufacturing tolerances were not what they are today. And I think just about all the major car and motorcycle companies break in their engines on a bench now before the engine is actually fitted.

Happy Memorial Day!

brit likes this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Understood, and thank you! I hope you have a pleasant Memorial Day Weekend as well.
    Peace.

3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

The first 50 miles are where 90% of the break-in occurs, and therefore, should be changed very early. I used break-in oil the last time I rebuilt a bike, about 5 years ago.

4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Hello everyone im somewhat new here, I ride a 2013 Suzuki V strom and a 2017 triumph street twin. I have been riding since 2013, dont actually own a car at the moment lol, but i will remedy that by the end of summer. The suzuki is a on road/ off road bike and i use it for my fly fishing addictions.

5. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Traded my Low Rider for this monster. Smoooooooooooooooooooooth! DSCN2114.JPG

BigMark83, brit, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-49-50.png here is my v strom, i dont have any pictures of the triumph on my phone lol.

kfbrady and Keithmax like this.
  7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Love the Indian.

Puma likes this.
  8. kfbrady

Do you ride wearing your waders? :)

9. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

I took my V-Strom fly fishing many times. Miles of gravel roads. That bike was a pack horse.

10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I rarely use waders, the streams in the sierra arent really that big, i just use water shoes, and if im steelhead fishing in the winter i dont take the bike, your legs are usually numb from being in 30 degree water for hours. I have side cases to carry my gear, the picture was from when my bike was new, on my way to lake tahoe, i didnt have the cases yet.

kfbrady likes this.
  11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

It is, i have taken it off road a lot. It actually is great on road to, i ride that bike most of the time, i bought the triumph for my dad to ride, he is elderly and has Multiple schlerosis so the smaller bike is easier for him to handle. His feet wont touch the ground on the v strom.

12. kfbrady

Cool!

I fish the catch and release freestone streams here in New Jersey and I’m often up to my waist in a pool with an 8ft dry fly rod. Especially in the springtime the water is cold so I’m usually in fairly bulky neoprene waders.

My wife flyfishes too. It’s great fun!

13. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I mostly catch and release unless im camping in the back country, nothing better then pan fried brookies or golden trout. And i will usually keep one steelhead to smoke every year. They only time i really keep fish is if we take the kayaks to the pacific ocean, we will usually fill up an ice chest with rock cod and perch. Im one of those rare people that dont really like seafood, so im picky about which fish I will eat. Rock cod, trout, and dung crab is about all i can handle.

14. Morman Bridge

Hello all, I’m a little winded/overheated, but managed another ride today. I took the trike along River Road, aka Pershing Drive, then over to Ponca Road. I stopped to gather my wits in a small roadside park on the edge of Hummel Park. [​IMG]

I love riding.
    Have a good day all.
    Peace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit and RyX like this.
  15. Morman Bridge

Hi folks, I haven’t posted in a while, there has been a lot going on. The last two days have surprised me though. I haven’t been riding all that much lately. I won’t go into details too much, but I have been having a rough go again. It has been difficult to ride lately, but today and yesterday I managed to ride for a half an hour or so each day.riding proved to be very uplifting for me. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I cannot ride as much as I would like to. I am limited to these short runs due to oxygen consumption, and infirmity. But I am grateful I can still sit in the saddle at all. Riding is in my blood, and I love to ride. But I won’t endanger the public by riding when I am too sick to ride, so I don’t get a lot of wheel time because of this. But once in the saddle I enjoy the ride doubly so. Here is a photo of my ride down to my favorite river park.

[​IMG]
    This one is from yesterday-

[​IMG]

Enjoy yourselves folks. Time to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, rbilly, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Glad to see you get some saddle time! The big bike to boot!

Morman Bridge likes this.
  17. Morman Bridge

Thanks Spyder, I am a bit surprised that I was able to ride it well enough to go to the river. I had to check myself out before I left though, I rode through the mobile home park I live in for a few minutes. I’m really glad I got on it today. It was a pleasant ride. I needed the experienc. Since my lady passed away, I have been a ball of nerves. I miss her terribly. She was a great partner to go through life with. She was special.

18. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

DSCN2173.JPG
    Took off the passenger seat and added the floorboard fringe and rear crash bars.

19. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Beautiful summer day in Jersey. DSCN2197.JPG DSCN2203.JPG

lightcs1776, brit and markjnewcomb like this.
  20. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I just read that Arlen Ness has died. Big loss to the custom bike world.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    brit and Hammer8 like this.