Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Also have a nice wood handled Stanley sodbuster (made by who knows). I have a use for a knife at least once a day.

Now I want a hawkbill.

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Can you post a photo of your collection? I'd enjoy seeing them all together.

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Great roll! Why so many? Are you a collector?

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You can barely make out what's left of STANLEY on the sod's blade. Can't find the Vic but if you've seen one you've pretty much seen them all. The Schrade Old Timer is pretty cheap but holding up well.

[​IMG]

Like wallet, phone, keys and *ahem* another emergency tool, I never leave the house without one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  5. brit

brit in a box

nice collection Charlie.:cool:

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. wristwatchb

Thanks Sara. My friend Jan made the knife roll for me. It's a modification of rolls she has made for her small gardening tools and pet trimming supplies.

I'm not knife collector, but I grew up attending knife and gun shows across the mid-west with my Dad starting in the early 70s. Great memories, and we met some really nice folks. That was when the hobby really started taking off, and it was before all the collectors gathered up the really cool vintage knives. I remember when the National Knife Collectors Association was formed. I'm not even sure if they're active now. I think the knives in their museum now reside at SMKW. Some of the guys we knew back then - Parker, Frost, Stidham and others - really grew the hobby into a big business.

I picked up my knives over the years, going as far back as High School. Several were given to me, and a few came from my Dad. Most of them have stories or memories attached to them. My sister has some interesting knives from my Dad as well. He had some really cool knives over the years, and they would be quite valuable today. He couldn't afford to keep many at one time, but he did enjoy trading.

Some of the best memories came from seeking out small town hardware stores and sometimes finding discontinued Case knives in their stock. They always thought it was strange when my Dad would buy a handful of hard-t0-find/desirable patterns, including the knives wired onto the display...and sometimes even the display case as well. :)

I'll eventually pick up a Dick Tracy knife on eBay because everyone needs a crime stopper knife with glow-in-the-dark handles. :)

7. wristwatchb

Thanks Gary. Your collection is very nice as well. :)

8. wristwatchb

Thanks for sharing. I love the old Camillus. That knife's got just about every tool you'd need most days.

I was looking at Old Timer's and Uncle Henry's recently. I had an OT in High School before I picked up the Buck 112 that I still have. I understand why, but it breaks my heart to see them all(?) being made overseas.

Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not very attached to the Old Timer, if you're interested, PM me. Turns out, I think it's 1990s vintage based on model #.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

Thanks. I'm set for now. Ended up getting a Case Mini Trapper instead. Found a pretty good deal at Case Knife Outlet.

Ijustmissedthe50s and gorgo2 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

s-l1600.jpg Just made a deal on one of these. Needs some cleanup but Imperial was U.S. made and it has what I want for work carry. Not sure how old.

12. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I'm in the Kershaw Leek club. I also carry either a Victorinox Signature pen knife or a Victorinox Mini Champ.

My favorites are the old scout-type knives by Imperial from the 1960s, called the Kamp King. But those are too big and bulky for me to carry every day.

:)
    - Bax

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. I'm thinking about rigging a small caribiner on the bail so it can hang from the corner of the pocket (inside) instead of laying there like a rock.

Frijolero likes this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here are my assorted knives.
    Camp knives
    [​IMG]
    Whittler mainly
    [​IMG]
    Assorted
    [​IMG]
    Swiss Army
    [​IMG]

Yes all blades are sharpened on these knives. A dull blade is a dangerous tool. I switch out every week on what I carry. Have carried a knife as long as I can remember. In the 70’s it was a Buck110 to school everyday. Times have changed.

I have rebuilt maybe 20 of these. Some are waiting to get fixed and rescaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimjo1031, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  15. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

That's quite a collection of camp knives! Congrats!
    - Bax

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Imperial Ireland multiknife arrived. Hoo boy, it's got more going on than I expected...spearpoint, hawkbill, utility blade/stripper, flathead screwdriver/bottle opener, can opener, corkscrew, scissors, and a bail, and barely no heavier than the Camillus. AND it was U.S. made. Among the best $20 shipped I've spent, it's going to be daily carry. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  17. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Noice!
    - Bax

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found a trapper in a forgotten box o stuff. Borrowed photo.

41UMNdkS+qL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Last night I was handed a boxful of knives from my Ma. Glanced through them, Case, Buck, Vix, Hammer, several ancient no-names, a Coast Guard issue rope knife from WW2, it's quite the mix.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Pics?

Speaking of pics, I gotta get a few pics of my collection to show off.