Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

A Leatherman Squirt and a Case Bermuda Green Medium Stockman in the left pocket, a Spyderco Manix II clipped to the right.
    image.jpeg
    I can't speak for others, but it's a very cultural thing in the South. A man is almost expected to carry a knife, and if if its found out he doesn't he will usually face a little good natured ribbing. My Father in law has 3 grandsons, and he gives each of them a knife every birthday and Christmas. My son is now 15 and therefore will have his 30th knife this Christmas. The only reason he isn't carrying one daily is because of school regulations. I find myself using my knives almost daily, so I keep at least one in my pocket all the time.

jimjo1031, RyX, GatorJoe and 2 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This is my favorite knife which I have been carrying almost daily for about eight years. Browning 75 made in Italy. It has taken a beating and still comes up strong. Along with my daily watch, Invicta Excursion Reserve........ knife.jpg

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Combo of habit and handy-ness.
    What I don't understand is the need to carry more than one.

wristwatchb, waffen and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks for this. I figured cultural and regional mores would dictate the standards or social acceptance/expectations for carrying a knife.
    In the hyper-PC climate of the SF Bay area, the idea of carrying a knife on your person would quite possibly be viewed by many with contempt and suspicion – particularly in urban areas.

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Better to need and have, than need and not have. Something like that...........

waffen and 178-bplatoon like this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I carry a SAK Camper, which I use daily. I work construction, so there's always something to need it for.

wristwatchb, jimjo1031 and waffen like this.
  7. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

I have also carried a pocket knife since I was a kid, my first was an Old Timer wish I still had it lost it on a camping trip in Washington state, looked and looked for it, I'll bet someone found it, since then carried Bucks, Gerbers, etc. and yes very handy I'd feel naked without it, the other pain in the ass is if you get to court and you always forget you have it, the walk back to the car to put it away. My carry for 3 years now a little Gerber [​IMG]

8. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Love it HolyRollah I live in the Bay Area and that's my job to piss off the PC ers ha

mrchick and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Understand lived in Virginia in the 50s

cmorris357 likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

The correct tool for the job. I have folding replaceable blade razor knife that I use for sheetrock, shingles, vinyl flooring, etc. It's a handy all purpose work tool. Similar to what terrorists used to hijack planes on 9/11. Easy swappable blades means it's always sharp. But it's not always the right tool for the job. If I'm fishing a large folding knife in a sheath hanging from my belt is more appropriate. Hunting suggests a larger fixed blade knife. Clearing brush is a job for a machete. Either way I still have my small pocket knife of the day. Grandfather taught me safety and skills, father approved and condoned. My children were given the same lessons and given their 1st knife to use with respect and caution. My grandkids are still too young, 5 & 1, but one day I'll do the same for them.
    If it's still legal. It's the right thing to do.
    knives assorted.gif
    The one at the top of the photo purchased after research about movie props. It came from Harbor Freight, with red sports tape added for authenticity. Watchers of TWD may recognize Rick Grime's knife mentioned during scenes involving Terminus. The one he used at the church to fulfill his promise to the cannibals.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I wear a Leatherman almost all the time. If i'm not at work, I am usually fishing or putzing with something. I will often carry a clip knife of some sort for several reasons: It is much quicker to access, cheaper to abuse/lend out, and the Leatherman knife blades are kind of a pain in the butt to sharpen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Backup. My daddy taught me that two is one and one is none. :)

waffen and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm a cook and I'm considering culinary school. EDC for me is a full 10 knife roll plus my pocket knife or multi tool. 14 inches is my longest blade (slicer) my heaviest is a 3 layer Japanese vegetable cleaver(8.5 in) my pocket knife is still either my leatherman or my Kershaw leek. I prefer the leatherman because I'm constantly fixing things at work with it.

wristwatchb and mrchick like this.
  15. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

I gotta get a second pocket backup, looks like a Kershaw of course in No. Ca. I'll be considered a terrorist

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

This is a lovely display of knifes!

I love pocket knifes but have zero use for one :( carrying one on me would also get me some jail time so I guess I'm good sans-knife :D

wristwatchb and waffen like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Most days I carry one of these two Spyderco Calys with super blue steel. If I go to town or work, the smaller one normally gets the call, otherwise it is the slightly larger 3.5" one. I also have a banged up and well loved serrated delica that has been my cycling companion for as long as I remember.

calysSB.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Case 6318 SS, smooth bone Chestnut.
    Serial number 094.
    My Sunday-go-to-Meetin' knife.
    20160814_080217.jpg

19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Steve -
    When I carry more than one knife, it is mostly for social reasons to not draw attention to myself. One is a small handy blade about 2" at best and the other is a larger serrated blade to compliment it. The small blade is handy for zipping packages or in front of easily offended people. The larger knife is the work horse and does most of the heavy lifting that I need done. The small blade will do most of what I need done, but not all of it.

RaZorBurn123, waffen and wristwatchb like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Living in an open carry state, I qualify to strap on a sidearm. It can draw unwanted attention. Got a conceal/carry permit in mind. My parents, in their 70's, got permitted and carry as they feel the need. There are times having a tool but not needing it out weigh social niceties. The alternative would be unpreparedness.

twhite, waffen and PanChango like this.