Any Pocket Knife Folks Here?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 8, 2016.

1. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Leatherman Skeletool CX. A multi tool that I can get to the knife without having to open anything else. [​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

2. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Would love it if California was open carry, but will never happen in my lifetime, that's why I try and feel a little secure carrying my toad sticker.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have not had the need yet to bring a knife to our church meetings, but now that you mention it, might not be a bad idea. Especially if someone needs convincin':D

Drygulch, waffen and RyX like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

He's right. In the rural South, it's assumed you're carrying a blade. Everybody does. Here in Colorado, carrying a knife is common in rural settings, illegal in some larger cities. Definitely a regional and cultural thing.

waffen and cmorris357 like this.
  5. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I love W.R. Case knives

wristwatchb and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

We're not all fancy lords like yourself. Some of us need to carry a pocket knife. You never know when you're going to turn down the wrong alley and find yourself caught between the Sharks and the Jets, or possibly a farmer's market with really good fruit and you need to slice something open and possibly cut some bread. :)

Seriously, it's just a simple tool that sometimes comes in handy. For me, a pocket knife is as low tech as you can get so it's nice to carry as a reminder that the first tool is still a useful tool.

Matt0210 and swarden43 like this.
  7. Mr. Shaverman

I carry one off and on, depending on what I'm doing/going, etc. I do keep one in all of my bags though, so one's usually not far from reach. Because I'm an ass and tend to do questionable things sometimes, I try to stay away from tactical type knives and stick with the more traditional types of folders.

I've got an Opinel that @Darkbulb made me buy a couple of years ago. I've somewhat started collecting inexpensive trapper knives though. I go for inexpensive but decent quality knives that are unique. So I tend to collect ones with interesting scales or limited edition ones. The one below is one of my favorite ones to carry just because people who see it get a kick out of it.

[​IMG]

I also carry a Swiss Army Camp knife, but only because it reminds me of the Scout style knife I grew up with.

[​IMG]

Still too fancy, but I like it. What I'd really like is something like my first knife, that decently made and reasonably priced. A basic scout knife like the one below, but with a corkscrew. Yes, you need a corkscrew. No, I've never actually used the corkscrew

[​IMG]

wristwatchb likes this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

image.jpeg

Puma, mrchick and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This LE (1000 knives made) Boker will potentially appear on Massdrop this month....

[​IMG]

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

I bet it will sell well. That's way too tactical for me. I also bet it's over $20. Oh, and I'm never buying another knife that you recommend again lol I've never been in a situation where the tactical look has been beneficial for me. I'm more into low-fi looks that performs when needed. Nobody gets excited when you pull out something that looks like something their grandfather might've carried. I've found that to be true of both guns and knives.

Enrico likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Embrace the Opinel.
    It's a mighty fine knife :)

mikewood likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Beautiful knife, but I'm with @Mr. Shaverman and prefer the more traditional stockman style pocket knife.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like that. I grabbed the cocobolo scaled version of it. The VG-10 steel is one of my favorites and it can be had for under $60. As much as I like traditional styles, I want a locking blade and really enjoy a pocket clip. I tend to lose knives when they are loose in my pocket.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I started carrying a knife when I was in second grade and my Grandpa got me my first one, after I got my Tote 'n Chip in Scouts. I remember being told not to bring it back to school when it fell out of my pocket, but not getting in trouble. This was in Phoenix in the 80s. Now a kid and/or his parents would go to jail for that. Until I started working in an office, I carried a lockback folder that was just under a 4 inch blade and a leatherman, both on belt sheaths. I carried these everywhere, and used them often. I would rather not have to use keys to open a box, and am amazed at how often I eat off my pocket knife. When I started working in an office in 2003 and whipped out my Smith and Wesson spring assisted open knife with a 3 and 7/8 blade to open a box, human resources had a little talk with me about what they consider a weapon vs. a tool. I started carrying a small lockback, with a blade under 2.5 inches, and no spring assist for opening. I do favor knives I can open one handed though. I have had to talk to HR again over my knife when someone reported me for finally getting their new wireless mouse open with my knife. They don't like it, but conceded that it is a tool and used as such. I just replaced my daily carry with a W.R. Case & Sons 00156 Small Caliber Lockback, which is inexpensive, lightweight, and good quality. On weekends, or when I am working in the yard, I will have my Smith and Wesson serrated lockback clipped to a pocket, and use it fairly hard.

I sharpen my knives with oil stones, and will put a final polish on them with either a Japanese waterstone 1K or a polishing wheel on a buffer with greaseless compound. I will pull some of my knives together for a picture soon.

wristwatchb likes this.
  15. Mr. Shaverman

After using it for a few months I began to dislike it. It's not a terrible knife, but it really feels like you're carrying a piece of a branch instead of a knife.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I guess knives are like razors - YMMV and all that :)

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

18. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I often double carry, most days in fact. Lately it's the Kahr and the Black Widow 22mag as BUG.

Usually carry a Tree Brand pen knife, just cause. I really only use it once a week or so. Usually to break down a box or such. It's metal scales, nickel silver with a pointer on it. I just like the knife more than have need for it. Very flat, so I don't notice it in my pockets much at all.

Have one of the small victornox pen knives with scissors and tweezers that I carry when fishing.

wristwatchb, cmorris357 and RyX like this.
  19. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

How else does a gentleman trim his quills whilst composing a sonnet for his fairest damsel???

RyX and swarden43 like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Most eloquent, Sir!
    Shakespear tweet.jpg