Any relatively cheap, shave ready straight razors for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Umma2gumma, May 22, 2024.

1. Umma2gumma

Umma2gumma Well-Known Member

Curious about straights, but don’t want to commit before I know whether that’s for me.

I realize that it’s a whole different world and requires accumulating a lot of knowledge and skill and accessories.

So, is there a reasonably inexpensive, shave ready razor that I could try & see if I even want to go there ?

I do have a Durham Duplex but the blade is not good and I don’t think it’s really going to give me anything close to the real straight razor experience.

And shavettes seem like a different thing altogether.

So, what would you recommend?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Unfortunately even most good brand name razors are not shave ready right out of the box.
    I'd check antique stores, then send it out to @gssixgun to get it shave ready.
    He's the only guy I've used for my straight razors. Many folks here can vouch for him and his services being excellent.

gssixgun, Bear_cwy, Axeman556 and 3 others like this.
  3. Umma2gumma

Umma2gumma Well-Known Member

Thanks. I’m a bit concerned about not having enough knowledge to see whether there’s something wrong with a used straight. Which is why I am hesitant to use the eBay / antique store route.

Karl G likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Axeman556, Karl G and Umma2gumma like this.
  5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I was interested in trying a straight edge years ago. I ended up buying a Gold Dollar that was honed and sharpened to shave ready condition by the seller. I used it for 2, maybe 3, shaves. Nothing wrong with the razor. I just didn’t have the time or patience needed to work on my technique. But I think the razor was decent enough for trying straight edges and have been thinking about trying again now that I have more time. I found the Gold Dollar being discussed and recommended on a shaving forum (don’t recall which one) and he had his razors listed on eBay. His was one of the only ones that were truly made shave ready.

Karl G and Umma2gumma like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You will need to buy a proper strop first, then purchase a vintage straight razor. Look on ebay, ask someone knowledgeable on this forum, to access it before buying it. When you get it, send it out to have it honed. @gssixgun is one, and there are others here that can do a great job in putting a proper edge on it.

Axeman556, gssixgun, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  7. Axeman556

Axeman556 Well-Known Member

Hey
    I have a razor that I'd be willing to give to you , if your interested it's nothing fancy a azuma from Japan. It should be more than good enough to get you going , it will take a laser edge I promise you that. Pm me

Karl G and sanookd like this.
  8. Bear_cwy

Bear_cwy New Member

I agree you will need a strop first. Secondly contact @gssixgun at Gemstar razors he will lead you to a good razor to get you started, he may even have one to sell you inexpensively. The biggest recommendation I will make is look for one with a rounded point. I have been dealing with him for better than ten years and have bought several razors from him. I can vouch for him and know he will not steer you wrong!

gssixgun likes this.