What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I' d like to start a new running thread with photos of the straight you used for your shave today. If you don't have a photo handy, just the razor name will be a start.

Today I used my new favorite straight from Solingen, Germany made by F.W. Engels. The model is Perfection. Blade width is given at 8/8, but it really measures close to 9/8.
    PerfectionFrontSmall.jpg

PerfectionBackSmall.jpg

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That's a massive beast of a razor you've got there. I'm partial to 5/8 round tip half hollows myself. My main razor is the Dovo Natural, and I occasionally use a vintage Shumate 5/8 round tip full hollow. I recently retired a third razor, as I just couldn't warm up to it.

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Lovely razor, Robert. Here's mine for today.
    Wusthof
    [​IMG]

4. lindyhopper66

I've seen the Dovo Natural alluded to in some other recent posts. What is the Dovo Natural? Trying to understand the natural part. I've also been shaving with some super 5/8 William Elliotts from a 7 day set. I like 'em big and small.

I just looked up the "Natural", so I can answer my own question. The scales are bamboo. They look great and will last a long, long time.

CastleShave, Kizurra and vwp528 like this.
  5. lindyhopper66

Very nice. I wish Wusthof was still making straights. They are making fine knives now. I've yet to find a Wusthof Trident.

6. Williams Warrior

The Natural part comes from it having bamboo scales, that's about it. I only got that one because SRD was out of the Boker Edelweiss at the time.

7. lindyhopper66

I like those bamboo scales. They don't seem to be in stock anywhere, anymore. Bokers are very nice. I have several vintage Bokers.

8. Williams Warrior

The bamboo grows on you after a while and with it I discovered I like the heavier grind.

9. lindyhopper66

Heavier grind? It's not full hollow? Is it 1/4 or 1/2 or wedge-like?

10. Williams Warrior

The Natural is half hollow according to Dovo's website.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've heard that bamboo is invasive, but, man, didn't realize it was THAT invasive! :eek:

12. lindyhopper66

Green Lizard from Cataraugus Cutlery honed on lapping film. A no name but with 95 on tang and with barber's notch, edge repaired on DMT 325 and honed with Naniwa progression, CrOx, diamond spray, CBN. Both gave a great and smooth shave with no pressure needed.

20deddc3-0fec-4c1f-8528-3bd9907bd38e_zps91e7405a.jpg

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice razors!…plus I like the reflection of you with camera in the mirror….:cool:

14. lindyhopper66

Thanks. I'm not great with my little Canon Powershot and the mirror was an accident.

Please put up a photo of your straight. I don't want to be the only poster in this thread. I know there must be more of us...straight razor users...on TSD.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I currently have two—one is usable (shave-ready), the other is a restore job; and one on its way to me.
    [​IMG]
    On it's way to me sometime this week…another clean-up/sharpen project: M.E. Reppenhagen Diamondine#7
    [​IMG]

And a REAL restore project… Wadsworth
    [​IMG]

16. lindyhopper66

Bartmann 89 Extra Manganese Steel
    6a14d8ac-e6c7-45f4-8314-e44bc0e634e7_zps47504013.jpg

17. lindyhopper66

C-Mon Blackie 5/8 full hollow with blued tang.
    C-MonBlackie_zps6614cbf9.jpg

18. oscar11

Well, here's the plan for this mornings shave, 6/8 Gong but I have a lot of snow to move before I get to shaving.
    [​IMG]

19. lindyhopper66

Henckels Friodur 8/8
    $(KGrHqRHJEUFCZwUUQyYBQo(qBKYI!~~60_57.jpeg

20. oscar11

6/8 vintage T.I.
    [​IMG]