Any Scotch Drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by VetsJetsnGuns, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Moe

Moe Active Member

I have me some Laphroaig 1/4 Cask, if that's what you're referring to. Each large barrel/cask is divided into 4 smaller casks for additional aging. Seems to be much more surface (per overall amount of whiskey) on the oak compared to larger barrels. Tis some good stuff.

I also lucked out, the wife (thank you SWMBO!)bought me a bottle of Aberfeldy 21 Yr. Many years ago, we spent a week in Aberfeldy Scotland. We now have a few wee drams every time we meet with friends that were there with us.

2. xmixahlx

xmixahlx New Member

aberlour abunadh
    ardbeg uigeadail

while in scotland my wife and i toured a bunch of distilleries (and the speyside cooperage) and now i'm hooked on aberlour. their 12 year SMS is very reasonably priced and is my "drinker".

we were backpacking it and by the end of the trip I was packing 6 bottles back, lol - turns out those bottles get heavy after a few thousand miles

3. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Scotch

Glen Parker...
    Cheapest single malt around and actually pretty smooth

4. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Yes I love it! However I have never been able to afford it myself, I have a very good friend that buys me a bottle of GlenLevit 18 every year for my birthday. That reminds me - I still have 6 months to go till I get another bottle.:(

5. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I don't think I'd want to drink that...

7. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

Laphroaig 10 (Islay)
    Macallan 21 year.

8. alowishus

alowishus New Member

Oban 14
    THE Macallan 12 (my usual scotch)
    McClelland’s Speyside (cheap but actually pretty good - good starter)
    Lagavulin (only when you want to drink a peat bog!)

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Haven't hat the Oban 14 yet. Could you share some tastin notes, alowishus?

My brother bought me a bottle of Rattray's 19yo Laphroaig (single cask) - what a generous guy. That bottle is going into my collection and will be opened on a very special occasion :)

10. alowishus

alowishus New Member

I don't drink Oban a lot - mainly because of the price point. I actually don't even have a bottle of it now! :(

I'm not an expert scotch drinker by any sense of the imagination, so I'm not very good at giving notes out. If I recall, Oban 14 is smooth with a hint of peat. To me, the flavor was full, and the peat taste was present but not completely overpowering to me like Laphoraig seems to do!

Come over to Cincinnati some time and I'll buy you a glass - then you can tell me how badly I did - haha

11. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Hmmmm........ Would be nice to have a TSD Whisky Trail :D