any shavemaster clones?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Woknblues, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

I know, ya get what ya pay for... But for those of us who can't, would any of the method shave gents here recommend a brush that comes close to the mark, but is a little less of an investment?

I want in, but realize that a good tool will work wonders here.

2. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I'm going to try my Rooney Style 3 Size 2 Super tomorrow, and if that works well (as I suspect it will), I'll try the Rooney Style 3 Size 1 Super, and finally my Size 2. They have pretty much the right head shape and the right density, and I'll bet they will work like a charm. I'll post here the results.

Oh: today's shave (from my blog):

So after rewatching Mantic’s videos on Method Shaving, I tried it again this morning, knowing a little more about the approach. I did a better job with the lather, I think, and after rinsing following the first pass, I again felt how slick my skin was, but this time it was not a surprise.

I did two N-S passes, something I’ve not done before, and I did observe on the second rinse that the second pass did indeed remove more stubble. Then the sideways pass, and finally I did my against the grain pass, not fully Method.

I was using the Gillette Diplomat with a Gillette Silver Blue blade with a few shaves on it. The result is probably a 9.3: I was in a hurry at the end, and I feel some places I missed. I think if I had taken my time, it would have turned out as well as yesterday’s shave.

The aftershave was Booster Oriental Spice. Tomorrow I’ll try it with just a regular brush—the Rooney Style 3 Size 2 Super, for example.

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Michael:
    Ill really start paying attention here when you start following "the form" for your shaves ;)
    .....BTW I think your Rooney should do a nice job

4. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Large, flat/fan-shape brushes work best for Method shaving. My Rooney SMF-III works almost as well as my Shavemaster for Method mix.

--Mark

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Mark is right. I get great results with my SMF III and my Harvard 6.

Unfortunately, neither of those are significantly cheaper than the Shavemaster.

6. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

haha..... why did I just have a feeling? well, i guess ill keep on looking..

7. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The Rooney Style 3 Size 1 Super is 1/2 the cost of the Shavemaster. I'll try it on Sunday and report back if I remember. In any event, I'll report in my blog for sure.

8. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

So Mike -- how receptive was Charles to creating some sampler packs or smaller /trial versions of the Methodshave items?

9. msandoval858

I'm still working on that. We got side tracked on another topic last night :ashamed001

10. Austin

Austin Member

Did you get side tracked discussing the shaving industry? Again. :D

11. msandoval858

lol, believe it or not we spent an hour talking about stuff not related to shaving. Wierd huh?

:rofl

12. Austin

Austin Member

I'll say. ;)

My conversations with Chas have been shaving or government.

13. msandoval858

Oh yeah, we've been down that road before.

To the point that Jean called the store and told him to kick me out and go home.

:p

14. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

You know you have a 'problem' when... :rofl

15. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Remember we dont want to upset the Mrs.:D

Raf

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Man that sounds like good times :)

17. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Whenever I call him, I have to clear out my schedule. He has got the gift of gab!

18. Brad

Brad New Member

Any brush that will hold water well will work. If you have a silvertip or finest that will be best. Even the B&B Finest with more of a bulb shaped head works well because it holds so much water. I have been trading out between my Shavemaster and the B&B and the difference is minimal. Particularly if "pulling" the mix from the brush.

The other week when I was in talking to Charles we spent a while talking about brushes and her is what I took out of it. The old method of scrubbing way down is not necessary if the breech hold enough water. The really large V200 brush is only necessary for those with a really thick beard and the $100 S100 will work great for most who don't have a water heavy brush. I think that any brush that people call BIG will work well. I even have used my Vulfix turnback when traveling and got decent results. Nowhere near as easy to get a good lather worked up, but still beats what I get with standard soaps.

My suggestion is to try it with whichever brush you have and see what you think. If you like it, move up toa bigger brush.

Brad

19. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Well.........?

I'm still waiting :rolleyes:
    I have some cube and Euc. paste but want to try the Activator, Cutting balm, Tonics and AS conditioner.

MIKE !

CAR really needs to put us sumpthin together.
    I cant wait much longer for my S100 :eek:

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

The activator, Tonic and AS balms are fantastic. I'm sure you will like them all.

Raf