Any Singe Edge fans?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bpope62, Oct 20, 2008.

1. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

I'm new to this site and wondered if there are any single edge fans out there. I enjoy using a GEM G-Bar, Micromatic (later style with closed comb), and Ever-Ready Jewell.

And of course I'd have to misspell 'single' in the title.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I'm trying to get the hang of an open-comb Micromatic, but I only have PAL blades right now, and cut myself nearly to ribbons on a single WTG pass last night . . . I had to do a quick cleanup pass with my trusty Tech and consider discretion the better part of valour. Not even sure if I'm going to shave tonight, to let my face rest. I probably need to buy some of the microtome blades from Ted Pella everyone keeps talking about . . . so I guess the first shaving gear of next month is already decided . . . *wry grin*

People on this site that use SEs seem to really love them, though, so I will probably keep at it until I see what the fuss is all about! :lol:

3. tom myers

tom myers Member

Single Edge Fans

I guess I qualify as a SE fan.

Of the razors you mention, I like the G-bar, mostly for it's handle. I think that's one of the best handles ever put on a razor. Other than the G-bar for it's handle, I believe you would be better served if you went back a few years, or decades, in the history of the Gem or Ever Ready razors.

I feel that the best shave you will get from any safety razor will come from a 1912 patent dated model or older. The 1912's are very readily available and are wonderful shavers. They were sold for many years and they were made to last forever. Dispite aggressive marketing and promotion from the likes of Gillette, Gem was a big selling razor in those days, so you should have no trouble finding a 1912 in a antique shop, flea market or on Ebay.

My personal favorite, however, is the 1900/1901 patent dated, lather catcher, models. I've used one of these with a metal handle every morning since I discovered them.

I should mention that I've been wet shaving since the early fiftys, and I've tried many makes and models of razors, both as they were introduced to the market over the years, or in more recent years, I've tried many from my collection that I hadn't used before. Only a couple of months ago was I convinced to try the older model single edge razors. What an awakening! I really believe that razor design could have been stopped at the turn of the last century and the world would have been better off. (Except, of course for us collectors.) :D

Regards,
    Tom

4. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

Hi sehrgut,

The open comb Micromatic is a rough place to start, and the PAL blades won't help either.

The later Micromatic works much better, or the G-Bar, or the model 1912. But you can get by with the open comb Micromatic if you try some of the GEM blades from CVS.

I have an open-comb Micromatic and can get a comfortable shave from it using the GEM stainless blades from a drugstore. But I need to concentrate on the blade angle (almost flat) and no pressure.

So don't give up! For me, the drugstore GEM blades are very forgiving. And the other model GEM razors are dirt cheap.

Bob

5. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

Hi Tom,

I did win a couple of British Ever Ready razors off e-bay. These appear to be 1912 type models or close cousins. I'll let you know how they work out once the arrive.

I just received an Ever Ready Jewell today. A serious looking razor that gave a fantastic shave.

I'll have to look into the 'lather-catcher' model.

And yes, it is amazing how well these single edge razors work. Earlier tonight I saw a TV ad for the new 5-bladed cartridge razor. I wonder how many poor souls will rush out and get one of those?

Regards,
    Bob

6. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I'll have to look at CVS again, since the only SE blades I've seen most places around here are the Pals. I don't believe I have looked at CVS, though.

I do have a later Micromatic (solid safety bar) . . . it just didn't look as cool as the open-comb one . . . :eek:

7. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

Hi sehrgut,

I think you newer Micromatic with the CVS GEM blades will be much easier on you.

When I use a SE razor I have to remind myself to use light pressure and to keep a shallow blade angle - the head of the razor is almost flat against your face, cutting nearly perpendicular to the stubble.

If you use a SE razor at more of an angle, things get ugly.

Good luck!

Bob

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

The best SEs are the wedge types. I like Gems and ERs and the like, but the wedges are the best. The 1900 Henckle wedge I have is great, I just need to send it out to get it shave ready.

Also Rolls' are great Wedge/SEs. Don't pass those up.

9. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I've been lusting after a wedge-type razor for some time now . . .

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Get a Rolls, make sure the strop and stone are in great condition. Your gonna have to spend some time to get it where it needs to be, be sure to oil the strop with some mink or neets foot oil.

11. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I'll have to start trolling the Bay for one . . . Are those better than the seemingly-more-common Wilkinson wedges?

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Wilkinson's do not, usually come with stones and stroppers. The Rolls is a unique razor. You will understand that when you get on. Shouldn't be more than $20 maybe more if the stone and stropper are in good condition.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

PAL blades can be tricky. as you can see ;)

14. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

Tom,

Do you have any photos of the 1900/1901 Lather Catcher you're talking about?

Were these made by GEM?

Thanks,
    Bob

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

heres an example. this is my 1908 gem junior (patent 00, 01)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

Thanks Dave! I'll be on the lookout for one of those.

Lately I've been giving the G-Bar a rest and trying out some Ever Ready razors.

Here's the latest (Ever Ready Jewell):

Picture 018.jpg

17. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

thats one hefty looking ER.

18. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This is absolutely beautiful, Dave. :happy096

19. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i was lucky enough to buy it from someone who keeps his razors immaculate, so very little extra cleaning was required.