Any terrible shaving products you have ever used?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 1969Fatboy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Shaving no, but the Vitalis tried to kill me. The allergy attack I got made me feel like I was on the verge of a heart attack. Taking nitro pills worked just as if it was something more serious, but it wasn't until I skipped a day with the Vitalis after a shower and noticed how good I felt in comparison that I made the connection.

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Aqua Velva Ice Sport A/S is crap. I wish I could trade it for normal AV.

Coates Almond shave cream was a total waste. I don't really need a cream that needs twice as much product and costs twice what it needs to in my rotation. It had no scent either.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1 Barbasol has a special place in my heart because the menthol variety was one of the first products I ever used for shaving. This goes to show how truly awful Herban Cowboy is- they make two varieties and I've tried both because my m.i.l. found out I liked shaving old school and wanted to do something nice for me. She also bought them for my f.i.l., who also hated them. The musk scent is the worst. Awful, latherless soap with a nasty smell.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh, before I forget, I found Burt's Bees Bay Rum soap to be useless for shaving, but the scent was magnificent, and it worked really good in the shower. Also, Kanion lather shaving cream is guwno. (sh*t in Polish)

5. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

-While I would still recommend them to any newbie due to their cheap prices and availability I just don't get good results from straight up glycerin soaps. Conk, Pirates Cove, VDH. They all lathered great and shaved very average. I need good clay or tallow soaps or some other extra ingredients for a satisfactory shave.

-T&H creams. Way overpriced and way under-performing.

-Dorco, Astra, Crystal, blades not for me.

-Royal Copenhagen and Gillette Cool Wave AS's both hideous products.

-C&E BBB. I know, I know. It's everybody's favorite first brush. Too scratchy and too floppy for me. Better than nothing for sure, but not on my recommend list. And while I'm at it, I'm not crazy about C&E soaps or creams either. Especially their new reformulated creams.

6. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Do not shave with bacon grease!!!! It is quite moisturizing, and slicker than snot. But it clogs the hell out of a razor!!

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I was sure you would mention KY jelly or some type of soap on a rope:eek:

8. crackstar

Achhhhhhhhhhhh, I just had my brother-in-law translate that for me--that is VULGAR!!!!!! :eek:

9. rollsshaver

???? Jeff, I think your brother in law maybe did not translate it very well. Nothing vulgar about bacon grease.

Well, this one time............. :eek:

10. crackstar

lolllllllllll he meant for...........(snot) Me too, I know bacon grease is not vulgar! ;)

11. rollsshaver

Oh.........

Forgive me. I am old and pretty stoned right now. Makes for a funny combination............

:D

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Just remembered another product:

Derby Menthol Shaving Cream is menthol in name only. It's a functional shaving cream, but if you want menthol buy Proraso or some TSD mentholated cream. Derby menthol cream has a hint of a menthol scent and that's it. You don't feel it at all.

13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

All I can find around here is AV Ice and AV Ice Sport.
    Is the AV Ice the same as regular AV?

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Haha Rolls I just got your avatar.
    Took me a second to remember who LL was.

15. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Worst I've used recently are Gillette 7 O'Clock Greens. Took one pass with them, then promptly replaced with a Feather.

16. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Mike were these the indian ones or the russian ones?

17. sas71

sas71 Member

ok just send me everything you dont like or cant use..prb solved :happy102

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The "classic ice blue" is the good stuff, the "ice sport" was a waste. I hope I can find some of the musk around somewhere.

Oh and Conk soaps suck for me.

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Love the new avatar Chris!

20. grampi

grampi Member

7 O'clock yellows. They turn my face into hamburger.