Any Wilkinson Sword owners?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Oct 13, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good job. I have honed one, a while back, very successfully. I did it, just because. I do know you can use, and have shaved many times, with a modified Gem Blade, in the Wilkie Razors.
    My advise is to save the rest of the blades, grease them up, for the future. If you insist on using the 7 Day set, use only one blade. They are still a rarity, and worth a pretty penny.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Linuxguile and Drygulch like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The Monday blade was the only one that had been used. I didn’t want to even remove the grease from the others, and won’t be shaving with them. It’s a cool razor to use. I can’t stand most GEM blades, so wouldn’t use one on this guy, but I got a SR quality shave with a safety razor, which is cool.

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

I really havent goofed around with the Wilkies, since i got into Straight Razors. I do think they are still the "Coolest Looking" razors made.

Drygulch likes this.
  4. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

DaltonGang likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

Anyone still using these cool looking razors??

6. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Have one and 1 blade that I need to hone or figure a holder for a modern blade. It got set aside due to lack of time to work on a modification to use.....

DaltonGang likes this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

yes. I much prefer the Pall Mall sets myself. the blades are much easier to hone.
    [​IMG]

Dave in KY and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Dave in KY

Thursday May 20, 2021
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Pall Mall
    Blade: Gem (1)
    Brush: Rubberset 400/Cashmere
    Soap: Baron's Choice 1508.5 Project
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Ethos Fresh Lime
    Fragrance: Ethos Dragonsbeard
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 925

IMG_20210519_194612429.jpg

9. DaltonGang

Here is one I acquired a few years ago.
    Before restoration
    P2071499.jpg

After restoration(Polishing)
    P2071501.jpg

It looked as if the original owner had only used one blade, then stopped using after it got dull. No marks on the rest of the blades showing they had been used, in any way. After I had honed that one blade, I did shave with it, and got a very nice shave.

10. Dave in KY

Monday May 31, 2021
    Razor: Wilkinson Empire Model/Ever Ready 1914
    Blade: Wilkinson Wedge (?)/Gem (2)
    Brush: Rubberset 400/Oumo Boar
    Soap: Baron's Choice 1508.5 Project
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Aqua Velva
    Fragrance: n/a
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 936

So I decided to give the Empire recently acquired a shave. The wedge looked/felt shave ready. I disinfected but I didn't strop it and had a decent 2 passes with it. A little tuggy so stropping may help or it may need a refresh on hones and stropping. I decided it wasn't up to the 3rd pass atg so finished with the 1914 which was buttery smooth. Really enjoyed the Wilkinson Empire and looking forward to getting it shave readier for future shaves. Still 1 unopened Wedge Blade in the box too. Have a fun day Everyone !!

IMG_20210531_074017118.jpg IMG_20210531_074322212.jpg

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I recently discovered these (the hollow ground Wilkinsons) and I'm trying to pick up good specimens of the various models and put them back into service, the pre-empires are a joy in design in appearance. There appears there was once a book published by Lantham which was a definitive model reference, but no success in connecting with Author to get a CD of it. Anyone have the book/CD or know of another good model reference?

DaltonGang likes this.