Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Rufus T. likes this.
  2. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Well I did do that almost 4 years ago....i still have the scissors

3. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

yeah I pay $8.xx something a month for netflix. Aint no way I'm gonna pay for cable. I would prefer to throw the tv out anyway. just a time stealer, unless of course its something I want to watch

4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Here's an exercise, name something besides pay TV that takes as large a chunk of most peoples' income that is a non-essential.

Cell phone service

John Beeman likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Pay TV, cell phones, drugs and alcohol. I think that's about it.

ObiDon and John Beeman like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

And we're not allowed to skimp on health insurance anymore to offset the cost of your list.

BamaT, Mr. Shaverman and John Beeman like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I suggest bottled water. It costs more than gasoline.

8. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

My wife and I have not had cable since we've been married (9 yrs). At first it was because we couldn't afford it, being poor students and all, but now it's more why pay an extremely high price for channels we will never watch? We pay for netflix and our internet. We don't plan on getting cable anytime soon.

9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

You will have to pry the remote for my Directv out of my cold dead hands.

BamaT, Omaney and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

"Have I ever canceled my cable and willingly and happily sat in my apartment for 8 months with no TV stations at all rather than to give the cable company another red cent of my money?!?" Oh boy, allow me to elaborate... YES. Very proudly so. I had the sleaziest cable provider you can imagine: I had "Comcast" cable. I had an introductory rate that was $90 with taxes, fees, etc., for the first 3 months. Ok. I accepted that. I knew the cable bill would go up and was ok with it doing so. However, over the course of 2 years, my cable bill went from $105 to $147 for nothing more than basic cable channels, DVR, and high speed internet. It was only in 1 room and I only had 1 box. I got pissed about the bill. I begrudgingly paid it for several months but finally had my fill of it. One night, I had few nips of moonshine and called up Comcast. I was in rare form to say the least. I asked the Rep to itemize my bill and explain the increase in charges just over the course of the past 1 year, notwithstanding it had gone up over 2 years. Her response was that is just what we charge and I can't tell you what has gone up over the past year itemized. I called BS and told her to disconnect my service. She then offered me the exact same service I already had for $80 for 6 months and wasn't under any obligation to continue my service with Comcast after the 6 months. What I heard was: "Mr. 'Dubs,' we have been screwing you out of $67 a month. Thank you for letting us do so. In appreciation of you being such a good candidate to screw over, we'd like to offer you 6 months at $80 a month since you already more than paid for that service with your $67 extra each month." I got freaking hot. Told them I can't be bought, to disconnect my service, they are despicable and I will never use them again.

Two days later, someone claiming to be a 'manager' called to verify the reason I wanted to disconnect my service was because I was "moving." I emphatically told her, "The reason I am disconnecting my service is because I hate your crooked company and I hope it goes bankrupt." I then told her about how badly people in the Jackson, MS area hate their company and that I will tell others how they have done. She then offered me $50 a month for everything I had in my package for 6 months with absolutely no obligations whatsoever. I heard, "$97 a month sure has been profitable for us." I told the lady that I would sit in my apartment and stare at my 4 walls before I gave her company another red cent. I got off the phone with her and left work early to turn in my cable equipment.

I sat in my apartment for 8 months with absolutely no cable, TV, or internet connection. The only internet I had was my phone. I watched DVD's and used the home theatre system to play my guitar along to music. The only thing about this I regret is that I didn't tell the cable company go pound sand before I did. I know I'm very stubborn about some things. This was one of those things.

*Whew. Thanks for the question. It did me some good to vent. :angry019:*

11. Brian_Powers

Brian_Powers Well-Known Member

I haven't had cable in three years. I bought an Apple TV and am subscribed to Netflix and Hulu. Anything not on there that I want to watch can be bought/rented from iTunes. I miss Colts games, though.

12. brow_tines

brow_tines Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with SkyStreamX box?

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Since this thread I have ordered an antenna, some extra coaxial cable and a couple of F/F adapters.
    My cable promotion package ends in 39 days. Yes AT&T reminds me daily. I have the wife on board with doing away with cable, keeping internet for Netflix and such.
    When I told her it will save over $1,000 a year I really got her attention.
    I have have subscribed to Cord Cutters website, great ideas on how to go about this. I'll keep you posted!

Omelmad likes this.
  14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Will you get any good channels with the antenna?

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

All the local networks, public TV, and some others.

Omelmad likes this.
  16. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

pretty sure you forgot (dont know how) traditional shaving products...however, I know that is HIGHLY debatable about being a non-essential :)

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

Nah, I don't buy those anymore. I got plenty. So much that I'm even giving some away!

IDuck likes this.
  18. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

good for you...can you help me cut that cord?...because I feel like it would be a lot easier for me to cut the cord and cell phone then shaving items

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  19. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Yeah I found it it's not as feasible as I originally thought. Once I canceled the tv and phone my internet alone was 80 bucks before tax and fees. My only other option would be satalite internet which is a joke in my opinion. Hopefully a new company will come along and make stuff more reasonable.

20. Mr. Shaverman

What are you using for internet? If it's a cable company, it's not going to work. They purposely price it so high that it doesn't make sense to do it. Century Link and FIOS or whatever they have in your area is a much better choice. I do Century Link for $39/month high speed internet. Works for me.