Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Century link is satellite isn't it? I remember that's what they had us push when I worked at Dish Network so maybe that's why I think that. Currently I'm getting my internet through Comcast and the only other option were I'm at that I could find was AT&T. I went ahead and got another years promotion since it was 10 bucks more to include tv with HBO. Football is getting close so I'll fight this battle next year lol

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Centurylink is our local telephone company. Our internet is $45 a month with Centurylink. I think Centurylink offers satellite TV.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I need to find an OTA antenna that works for my area. I'm on the fringe for NY and Pennsylvania stations, so I was only able to pick up 4 channels OTA with the cheap amplified antenna that I first tried. I already have Netflix and would love to cut the cord asap.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm now on the hunt for a DVR, I don't want to pay a fee. But the only one I can see is Channel Master $410 :eek: help?

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Check out Tivo, but I don't know what those go for. If you get Hulu+, you probably don't need a DVR because they'll have most shows on the next day. No CBS or AMC though.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Like Troy said Century Link is your phone company. Since cable offers both TV and internet, Dish and whatever local phone company you have usually team up for internet/TV combos but one doesn't have anything to do with the other unless you want them to.

Troy M likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

CBS is pretty important for me because of NFL games, I have AT&T cellphone service I understand they will be offering Hulu for free though the app for cell customers. Thanks for the help.

8. Mr. Shaverman

Football would be something you'd watch live though, right? If you get your local CBS station over the air then you're covered.

9. RaZorBurn123

Okay I got you. Hulu may be the answer! Thanks!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

What? Why do you pay so much for Internet?

We pay about 250SEK, which is under 30$. And that's for 100mb download/10mb upload

11. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

My only other option in my area is AT&T according to this website that tells you providers according to your address and they're about the same after promotional pricing with slower speeds

12. RaZorBurn123

I called AT&T yesterday and told them I won't be renewing my cable service, wholly cow you'd think i robbed them! So my internet is going to expire on August 2, I pay $37, I wanted a deal, the rep said the best she could do was $57. No! Not me! Let me talk to someone else. Another rep came on the line, I told him id go elsewhere for internet if he couldn't do better than $57.
    Oh I can. How's $40 sound? With an upgrade? And a telephone that plugs into the modem? Plus a $50 AT&T credit card? Keep talking.. I'll need to plug a phone in once to activate the phone to receive my $50 and I'll remove the phone from the modem. Deal.
    I did a test run with my antenna the other day, worked great! I got 83 Digital channels, all of the local networks, a bunch of Spanish stations, QVC galore.
    Question.. Does anyone have Roku? If so can you tell me if it worth getting? Thanks!

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I like my Roku. We use it for Netflix and Hulu. It has lots of free choices.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

So that means, no!

15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am not much of a TV watcher...when I do take the time to flip through the channels I am appalled by the absolute dribble that is on and it reminds me why I gave up watching years ago. Do I still have cable? Yes...kids won't let me disconnect it. I just don't watch it so that's ok with me.

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I would like to cut the cable cord, but there are a couple of outdoor/sports channels I like, plus we are Food Network junkies, and I have to have all the viewing options for college football. Sadly, all that adds up to me keeping cable.

17. Randycin617

Randycin617 Member

I got the Google chromecast for $20 at staples. Canceled Comcast a week later.

18. Randycin617

Randycin617 Member

Forgot to mention I pay 10 a month for HBO go and just stream it to my TV from phone or tablet. Amazing.

19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Why would you pay 57 instead of 37? Hahaha

I don't really understand where the channels come from. If you get an antenna, don't you have to subscribe and pay someone that provides the feed for the antenna?

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The programing is broadcast over the airwaves. They make their revenue from advertising, not subscription fees collected. It's been that way since television was invented. Subscription programming like cable or satellite is a relatively new idea, beginning in the 1970's or maybe a bit before. My first recollection of "pay TV" was a service called ONTV. A subscriber needed a "decoder" for the signal connected to the monitor. It was one channel. Good times.

Omelmad likes this.