Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

We haven't had cable for years. Antenna in the addict and then the smallest package at BoxerTV (DVB-T2) supplied with Netflix on the side. I could do without the package at Boxer, and only use FTA, but someone in the household thinks otherwise.

Omelmad likes this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmm.. We have it a little different.

If I connect an "antenna" it's really a cable You connect from the tv and into a slot in the wall. This, I believe is connected to a collective antenna on the roof. But that gives us about 5-10 channels and 2-5 of those are watchable some movies and mostly news, the next is really for old people, and Danish people for some reason =P

If I want the REAL channels with bearable shows and movies(and I dont really find them worth it) I have to pay about 40$ a month. When I moved out from home with my girlfriend we started a subscription. You know we both thought we wanted channels, we had so much DAMN problems with those decoder they provide, we ended up canceling the subscription.

I use Netflix and other streaming services. It's more than enough.

tuxxdk and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Omelmad

Hahaha you are not the only one that watches tv =P or is it.. Hmm

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    tuxxdk likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Today I attached the antenna on our tv in our bedroom, only using the 4ft cable that's attached to the antenna. After moving it around a number of times and rescanning I was able to get all but one local channel! The local NBC affiliate, go figure. Very happy! I'll add a 25 foot cable and move around our room, we have 10 ft ceiling so it seems the higher the antenna is the better the reception. 30 days until we are officially cord cutters!

Omelmad likes this.
  5. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, cable sucks. We just pay for internet and just watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video on different players. Sometimes we use my computer with an HDMI cable to the TV, or my roommate's PS3, or my Xbox 360. I literally have no time to watch TV anymore. I work 8-5, get home and do housework and that's my life haha.

6. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I haven't had a television in a bit over 20 years. I now watch Netflix and occasionally Hulu on the computer. The only thing I miss is getting Red Sox games, and once in a great while I'll catch one at a bar. I have friends who are fans, so once in a while (and every game if they are in the playoffs) I watch a game at their house now and again, but I could easily live without, catching the scores and news on line. I have heard, however, that there will be a subscription type thing on line to catch games...here's hoping!

7. RaZorBurn123

7 days left until I officially say goodbye to cable television! The push is on! AT&T is promising to name a star in my name if I re-up. :rolleyes005:

Dubs, ObiDon, txskimo and 1 other person like this.
  8. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I will strongly advice on Kodi . With a little configuration , you can get all the TV channels in the world, all the movies what whatever else you think about. Go Kodi !

9. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I completely failed and just signed back up a couple days ago. It wasn't to much more than what I was paying for internet plus I was paying sling for HBO so I wasn't really saving money anyways, just more cords to swap out depending on what I wanted to watch.

10. Omelmad

HAHAHAHAHA what?! Is that a joke?

11. JamesFavre

JamesFavre Active Member

My wife and I had done this when we were still in New Orleans. It does take some adjustment but it worked out great. The ONLY reason we have cable now is for NFL Sunday Ticket so that we can watch all of the Saints games, otherwise we'd still be doing the Roku thing.

txskimo likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

Yes. The the star is a joke. ;) But they're working really hard to get me to re-up. Btw, I get all the local channels crystal clear with my $8 antenna.

Dubs, txskimo and Omelmad like this.
  13. Omelmad

Hahaha call them and tell them you have decided yo drop them and ask them to STOP trying to get you yo re-up. They are so annoying!

Thats so cool! Tell them that hahaha

14. RaZorBurn123

I have! It's over. It feels so good to be free from paying for commercial TV.

15. Omelmad

What was it 70$ a month?

16. txskimo

Ahahahaha that's funny.....maybe the promotional pricing

Dubs likes this.
  17. Omelmad

How much does it cost

18. txskimo

For me with internet and tv, after taxes and promotional price ending I believe around 160-170

Dubs likes this.
  19. Omelmad

I skipped tv a long time ago. But my 100mbit/second Broadband cost about
    40$ a month. I use netflix

20. txskimo

Yeah when I cancelled tv the internet alone was 80 bucks before tax and at&t was about the same price. I picked up sling to get locals for sports for 20 bucks with the roku but of course there is no dvr and with my crazy work schedule I really need the ability to record football games I would miss otherwise. I gave up trying to save a couple of bucks and just made it less complicated by combining services again lol