Anybody cut the cord?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

Good job on telling them to go pound sand. Liberating, huh?! Enjoy it!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It really is! More and more people are doing it every day, the big cable companies are getting the message!

3. RaZorBurn123

My total bill internet and cable was $135 that included rental fees! <~~~ Can you believe we pay to watch the cable TV we are subscribing to. And of course taxes. Now I'll pay $40 for internet and $7.99 for Netflix.

txskimo likes this.
  4. mhari_dubh

mhari_dubh Active Member

I've just cut the cord! My t.v. came with a Roku stick and I found I was using that more than watching DirecTV. So it made sense to dump cable when I moved. Now down to internet only. I'm going to investigate an antenna to cover my Sounders & Seahawks issue. My only other problem is STARZ (will dvr my show at my parents if I have to) - would be great if they did the same thing as HBO Go. How long until cable figures it out and lets people choose to pay for the 5 channels they really watch?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if they didn't start doing it. Showtime is doing it as well although they are affiliated with HBO but I see the premium channels offering it soon

6. RaZorBurn123

So we're a little over a week into no cable television, I've got to say I'm loving it! We have 2 tv's, one in the living room and our bedroom. Both now have Chromecast, and ample enough OTA antenna coverage to pickup all of the local channels and some other strange ones. Totally cost to get this up and running was about $60. Total savings per month will be $80 after you add up rental fees and taxes. We will add HBO Now at some point but not now.
    When you took the big bag of rental equipment into the UPS store the young lady said without knowing what was in the bag, "AT&T equipment"? Yup! She said she's been seeing a lot of people coming in returning equipment. Cable Companies are on notice!

Mr. Shaverman and mrchick like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

I just got our first internet bill. We went from $151-135 depending if we ordered a movie or two with cable and internet. Today. $45! I get all the local channels perfect with my antennas, we watch movies on Netflix, listen to the radio more, read more, talk more. Save more.

8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yep, cutting the cord is a life changer! Glad to hear it's working out. After 3 years or so I don't think I could ever go back. When I've been at friends' homes with cable or satellite I feel bad for them.

mrchick and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. 211bma

211bma Active Member

I cut the cord about 9 years ago, there was almost nothing worth watching for me. I don't miss it at all.

10. RaZorBurn123

Thanks for starting this thread, I've always wanted to cut the cord but was never motivated.

txskimo and mrchick like this.
  11. txskimo

I feel like such a failure

12. RaZorBurn123

Please do not. You helped me.

mrchick likes this.
  13. txskimo

I signed up for two more years less than a month after starting this topic lol

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Ouch!

15. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I cut the cord years ago and used an OTA antenna to pick up locals. Even hooked my computer up with a tuner to use it as a DVR. Netflix had just come out with the movie rental service and we got dvd's every week. One thing I missed terribly was ESPN. Really the only channel I hated being without. I spent a couple years watching the games (Football of course. . . American Football) somewhere other than at home. So I gave in, ordered UVerse from ATT when it made an appearance in my neighborhood. Regretted every second of having it, but my daughter loved having more channels to watch. So as soon as I could I got out of UVerse and went with Time Warner Cable. Have done that for several years now.

Like @RaZorBurn123 I was tired of paying over $100 for cable and internet. Cord has been cut, antenna back in place, computer hooked back up to be my DVR, Netflix and Hulu signed up for and I am saving plenty to put towards other things (I am sure some of my ADs will see part of the savings)!

Sports are still the only issue, but I am looking at some alternatives (USTVNow.com and Slingtv being the two main possibilities to get just for football season).

RaZorBurn123 and mrchick like this.
  16. mhari_dubh

mhari_dubh Active Member

Got an antenna from a friend...and it works! I totally thought it would but it makes me really happy to know I can watch my Sounders and Seahawks when they're on local t.v.

RaZorBurn123 and wmbjr like this.
  17. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

LOL...dont know why I found this so funny but I did.

txskimo likes this.
  18. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

Im somewhat lucky being a hockey fan...I can get the hockey package through roku and it gives me every game...granted I dont have a "local" team so I dont have to deal with blackouts but I know they have other sports packages that you can get...they arnt cheap, but they are worth it

txskimo likes this.
  19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

The one thing keeping me from cutting the cord is that I love Fox News Channel. As far as I can tell, there is no way to get Fox News Channel unless you subscribe to cable.

wmbjr and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

Last night I was looking at the ESPN Watch app for the NFL schedule, I noticed that I could watch college games that were on ESPN live on the app and could cast onto my tv. So right now I'm watching cricket. Free!

Mr. Shaverman and wmbjr like this.