Anyone Else Considered "Essential", and have to go into work??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just curious who is considered "Essential" , and are required to come in, and work??

I know there are a lot of companies still open, and their workers are still working.
    With me, I am ordered to come to work, deal with many many people, daily. Unknown who might or might not be infected with the Covid 19 virus. It's kind of annoying/funny when I come in, to check out for the day. Myself and the others I work with, out there, are treated like we have The Plague, by office personnel.
    All the while, my family is enjoying a nice vacation at home.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I work in IT and can perform my work from home, so while I am not on vacation, I am not in the office.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frijolero, gorgo2, PanChango and 4 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Food delivery is considered essential, therefore I am still out there every day for Grubhub. Third party food delivery companies have been declared essential workers by the feds, so we can go where we want and are encouraged to do so. Since we're self-employed, it's not much of a tough decision. Do I want money? Yep. Need money? Yep. And business is good. I keep disinfectant wipes in the car along with a spray bottle of alcohol. Wash my hands often, don't allow anyone to touch my hands on food handoffs (most are contact free at homes now, we just drop and knock) and keep my car wiped down inside.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm essential. Refinery millwright.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm essential. Welder. Railcars & ship fabrication. My wife is also essential. She works in a mental health services facility as an OHP (Oregon Health Plan) assistor.

We're both terrified by the exposure, but grateful to still have jobs.

6. DaltonGang

You are 39, what do you have to be terrified about?? Unless you and your wife have underlying health issues..

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Lawn care
    Believe it or not, essential. It'll be moot if we don't get some rain. #pleasemakeitrain
    #cruchygrasssucks
    #yougrowit,I'llmowit

8. DaltonGang

"Essentially" , I just mowed my yard today. :rofl:

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

vehicle repair shop where i work though small is deemed essential..

10. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

No one wants to be sick at any age and not all underlying heath issues are known prior t0 contracting a potentially deadly disease.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

No, nobody wants to be sick, but, it seems almost every death has been linked with people that have underlying medical issues, that are well known have been publicized for a while.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

My wife and I are both essential. She works for a home health care company and splits telework and office work. I work for a consulting engineering firm that designs mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection for hospitals among other facilities and I’m working almost exclusively from home. I went into the office only one time this week. It’s my wife I’m worried about.
    God bless everyone.

Frijolero and jluc like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Working at home, and checking in, once a week isn't what I was talking about. Essential, and "Going Into Work", kind of means being forced to work, and potentially get exposed, because of the necessity of your job requires the risk to your health, for the betterment of society.

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Armed security in loss prevention here, so yeah, I am not working from home.

Frijolero, jluc, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Yes, vehicle repair work is needed, to keep society functioning.

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Im in IT but it is for a non essential business. We are open but remote only. I was super busy leading up to this chaos making sure everyone had remote access to what they needed. Two of my VPs had laptops shipped to my house for me to configure for them. Other than that, it is mostly answering emails and getting my users through the learning curve of working remotely. As long as I get paid, I will do whatever is needed.

Frijolero, DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Found out today I'm classed as Essential. Even though we're under orders to work from home, we can get into the workplace if needed. I guess they told us that today because the mayor has Tampa under lockdown starting at 10 pm, but we're exempted if we need to be.

My hat is off to all you guys, you're all truly essential.

Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So when does the dry season end down here? I been jonesin' for a big old thunderstorm...of course that could knock out the internet...nevermind.

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm looking for early June

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

crap