Anyone else not a regular A/S user?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Capt America, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Capt America

Capt America Member

I've noticed most people seem always use aftershave, but for me... I only find it necessary maybe 1 in 6 or 7 shaves.

Maybe I just haven't found a good one... and I'm sure part of it is I don't want to spend a bunch buying aftershaves to match each kind of cream/soap I use. Although I've been wanting to try some Floid aftershave.

Am I weird, or just super cool?

Anyone else not use A/S as much?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Sure, you really don't Need an aftershave, But I would recommend a Astringent to clean, heal, and close the pours, If you have DRY skin a Moisture Cream or ASB

Most ASL are Alcohol and Scent, but some really do a good job at Healing and Replenishing what your skin lost during the shave.

That and you cant beat the cooling sensation of Mentholated aftershaves. :cool:

For summer months a little ABAS or Witch Hazel and I am done. In winter I put a little more on for moisture.

As Always YMMV:D

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My skin needs the AS+ASB combo every day, I couldn't leave it out.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I find I use more a/shave balms, than alcohol-based a/shaves. But I still enjoy the latter as well.

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

In my opinion.....the use of an aftershave after a balm helps the drydown process, I only use ones with a light/transient scent so that there is no interference with the cologne of my choice.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I don't use much a/s. Occasionally I'll use Anherb, if the shave was a little rough.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Brian - do you splash or spray your aftershave? and do you wait for the balm to soak in a bit, or just go right ahead with the aftershave right after smearing the balm?

Thanks!

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

There are some aftershave splashes or sprays that I can't use, because they burn my sensitive skin so badly, or dry it out.

9. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Joe........I wait until the balm has soaked in. Splash some A/S into my hand...and apply. The aftershave tightens everything up again.My favourites are Floid and Proraso.The glycerin in these splashes also aid skin conditioning as well, and the alcohol dries off pretty quickly to leave a great moisturised dry finish.

10. I can't use any alcohol based stuff. I generally apply a balm or cream while my face is still wet. I am currently using Mr Taylors ASB

Paul

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks Brian, sounds interesting. And yes, that FLOID is a real treat :drool

12. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Alcohol-based splashes are definitely part of my everyday routine. Once in awhile I'll use a balm but they tend to leave me feeling a little greasy later in the day, especially in warm weather. However, Musgo Real and DR Harris really do a great job moisturizing but giving me the alcohol that I crave. I'm not an alcoholic but my face is a drunk. ;)

13. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:happy001 Well said!

14. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I use AS every day. But it comes before the ASB, not after.

15. Capt America

Capt America Member

So some of you use both an A/S splash and a balm also? Would you say it's necessary for you yourself to do that?

It almost blows my mind how much some people do... hot shower, conditioner in beard, pre shave oil, lather, shave, after shave balm, after shave splash and then done. For me it's just shower, lather, shave and done with that very occasional after shave. Anything more just seems like overkill to me... but hey, different strokes I guess.

16. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I've always used aftershave, even when using canned cream and a M3. It was typically some Nautica aftershave gel or some of Dad's Old Spice. Since I began wet shaving, I've found some much better alternatives, and found out that aftershave gel sucks. It always made my face sticky anyways.

I usually keep it simple, and dont try too hard to coordinate my creams/soaps and the A/S. I have bay rum a/s which goes well with 95% of the stuff I use. Other than that, I pretty much stick to Velva and Musgo. I usually dont need a balm, but in case I do, its just a dab of Proraso ASB or Burts Bees bay rum ASB.

What I really like about an aftershave is that
    1. it can calm razor burn on those days when I butcher myself.
    2. I dont actually have to dry my face off. Just slap on the aftershave, and the alcohol does the rest.

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Absolutely. Sometimes I could get away with the A/S only, but then again it's my daily routine to use both (and the bottles of homemade ASB don't have a very long storage time too).

18. TomH

TomH Welcome Wagon

A/S splashes are my first choice after a close shave and the warm/cold water rinse.
    In the colder times of the year I use mostly added an A/S balm.

But as I said, without A/S splash > definitely NO !!!

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

A/S at all times unless I use the Alum block with a toner instead.

20. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I ALWAYS use an AS, at least.
    In winter I usually need an ASB, as well.
    Very dry skin, have I.

Shower
    PreLather
    Lather
    Shave
    WWR
    CWR
    AS
    ASB, if needed

all this takes me less than 30 minutes.
    Not excessive, IMO