Anyone getting in on the Ascension?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ambrose21, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I spotted it too late. Perhaps it was for the best. I already have the Stainless Steel version. Getting the CU would be greedy. :D

2. Tim Spencer

How did you like the shave? Is it still pristine and holding up or tarnishing/scratching?

3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I have had mine since the first release, bought at Big Shave S'West 2019. Use it every few weeks, good shave. Still as shiny as the day I got it, no tarnish at all.

4. Tim Spencer

I just tried an Astra Superior Platinum blade in the Ascension and shaved with the combo yesterday and today. I'm liking the results. The blade is cutting the hair a bit more efficiently than my beloved BiC Chrome-Platinums but still remaining smooth when I have the razor screwed all the way down in the least aggressive setting. I'm finding that the efficiency has me not "overshaving" to reach for the last smidge of BBS. I'm able to get the stubble cut with less effort and it's helping to reduce the irritation. (Not that my BiC CP's were 'bad' or causing heavy irritation, but rather the Astras seem to be eeking out a slightly better result and less irritation).

jluc likes this.
  5. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

So far the only blades I have found to be to aggressive with my CU Ascension is the Schick 2002 Twin Double Edge Blades.

6. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

The 316L stainless steel version was recently restocked, so naturally, I sent away for one before it sold out again. It's one of the most aggressive razors I've ever used, so do I therefore do NOT use especially sharp blade like Feather, Dorco, or Personna in them. I usually load an Astra Superior Platinum or something else more forgiving.

I understand there's also a copper-plated version available.