Anyone have problems with Arlinton soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Quercus, Aug 14, 2007.

1. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I just picked up a puck of the Lavender. I never had problems with Arlington, just didn't care for the scent. My bowl now belongs to Rick and it appears to be working for him fine.

I'll have some feedback on the performance of the Lavender by next week.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yep.
    Mine.......:D
    I have used the soap a few times and find it does take a bit more product to make enuff lather for 3P shaves.
    Still working on my face lathering technique but its pretty solid.
    Less water on brush.....more soap on brush.
    Dribbles of hot water into BREECH when needed.
    This works for me 90% of the time.

3. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Didn't realize it, but it sounds like I got the "bad" puck from Quercus in trade recently.

I haven't used it yet, but I will tomorrow. I've had good luck w/the Harris lavender puck that I have, so we'll see how the Arlington performs.

Simply in regards to triple mills, the problem might've been a water issue. I have several triple mills, and some of them work well for me, and some I get the same fluffy/airy lather that Quercus had.

For instance, I can get aboslutely fantastic lather out of Floris JF, Floris Elite, and Harris Lavender. But unless I really really really work at it, I get fluffy/airy lather out of L'Occitane Cade, T&H luxury, and Mitchells Woolfat. I traded the T&H, think I finally figured out the MWF, and am considering trading the Cade (and it's fancy bowl).

I just can't get the Cade' to work for me, the scent is light, and the note of cold cream is beginning to be dominant to my nose anyway.

4. a-cut-above

a-cut-above Member

The problem with the Arlinton puck we had is that it would not, or would barely, lather. It was way past differences we all experience in shave soaps and creams...heck that's half the fun. Search any of the forums and we find posts claiming MWF or Trumper's Violet to be heaven sent and others claiming these are not worthy of dog soap. But the Arlington was different and all the "complainers" got their pucks from the same on-line source. "We was had.":mad: When I visit the Big Apple, I'll try to get to one of those fancy Manhattan drug stores, bite the bullet, kiss a $20 bill goodbye, and buy a refill puck of Arlington and see what happens.
    Regards,
    Dave

5. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Well, looks like I'm having the same problems w/this puck as the original owner. Can't seem to get it to lather worth the darn either. I'll try a few more times, but I don't think it will help.

One question, are the soaps from Harris that you get when you buy it w/the bowl larger than the refill pucks? I ask this b/c this puck of Harris Arlington is much larger than the puck of Harris lavender I have. Maybe it's not even Harris soap?

I can get great lather out of my Harris Lavender, but poor lather out of this Arlington puck. Reminds me of, "shudder", the poor excuse for lather I get out of my Ogallala Bay Rum soaps. And those familiar w/OBR soaps know how bad the lather is from them.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That's pretty bad then.

7. msandoval858

Thanks for the tip. I shall avoid the OBR soap.

8. jramire2

jramire2 Member

OBR has a great scent, tends to leave a super slick layer of stuff on your skin while you shave. But unfortunately, the lather is pretty bad. Super foamy/airy, tends to disappear, etc.

This puck of Harris Arlington isn't quite as bad as OBR, but it's definitely defective. The lather doesn't even come close to the lather I get from my puck of Harris lavender.

9. msandoval858

Well, I tried the Harris Lavender this morning. That stuff is amazing! My Arlington latered well but nothing like this stuff. There has to be something different with the two?

The Lavender easily produced one of the best lathers I've ever seen from a soap or cream. This one is a winner.

10. a-cut-above

a-cut-above Member

Well, I picked up a puck of D.R. Harris Arlington SS at Pasteur's in NYC. (BTW, an incredible place for wet shaver's and reasonable prices.) There is no doubt the "bad" puck is a different soap. The new Arlington from Pasteur's has a yellow tint to it; the bad one is white. The good one has a slippery feel while the bad one is drier, almost powdery on the surface when dry. Although I had used it trying to get lather to form and so the shape was not original, it is obvious the good one is shaped differently there being more defined corners on the large and small sides whereas the bad one had a rounder small side. And the new one lathers like a dream, just like a D.R.Harris soap is supposed to. So, the "non-functional", bad Arlington is different. I guess it's impossible to prove whether it's a bad run from the factory or a fake/knock-off, as is common in the luxury goods business. I wonder how long it will last as shower soap? Has anyone got a bad puck from a vendor besides Greenpond?