Anyone having fun with other hobbies?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by ironthinker, Feb 21, 2016.

1. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Our wet shaving isn't new, but we all value it more since we've learned to make it fun and try to make it maximum enjoyment, while making it a hobby. A great forum like "The Shaving Den" really helps.
    I've also started buying quality dress shoes from estate sellers on Ebay. But their is no quality forum like "The Den" for men's shoes.
    What other hobbies have you added the past few years, besides wet shaving?

2. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Have you tried Fedora Lounge?

3. ironthinker

Thanks for the tip on the forum on dressing well. I'll take a look.

4. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Reef tank, fishing, and cars.

My buddy, who I got into wetshaving, is building me a racing simulator. Can't wait!

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It's not a hobby, but more an interest. I have always been interested in theatre architecture. I regularly visit modern or classic theatres, single screen cinema's (movie palaces) etc. I enjoy reading about the renovation of classic theatre's whether in the UK or North America.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. ironthinker

Great hobby. I live across the river from Fargo, ND. The once vaudeville "Fargo Theater", later became a silent movie theater, complete with elevated theater organ. It's now owned by it's own non-profit and show movies every day of the year. They do have the organ in working order and great organ players.
    If you ever come to town, I'll get us both a tour and you can teach me more.

7. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

I only have one vintage razor so far, but I'm going to start collecting more of them. Aside from this, about five years ago I started collecting scientific, engineering, and mathematical antiques, especially slide rules. I like collecting things like antique planimeters, clinometers, inch counters, compasses, and things of that nature. I also enjoy collecting antique fishing gear.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  8. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I write. I have a couple of self published books, a short story in an anthology and I am presently working on some children's books. I am disabled and home alone most of the day, so writing helps to pass the time. I would love to collect more, but finances keep my purchases limited.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I seem to be collecting grand babies :) and I'll tell you since I've become a Grandpa my life has completely changed.

White731, wristwatchb, KLF and 8 others like this.
  10. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

As a "Papaw" myself, I completely agree. There is nothing like being a Grandpa.

RaZorBurn123 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Thank you. But I imagine that I would only be able to visit large metropolitan areas such as New York/New Jersey which have a large number of theatres that have been renovated outside of Broadway: The Kings Theatre of Brooklyn, St George Theatre of Staten Island etc. There are easily over 150 classic theatres in the US.
    We don't have many, and my nearest 1930's theatre will be demolished soon :(. But there are some great ones being renovated here too...

[​IMG]
    Stockport Plaza, UK

[​IMG]
    Kings Theatre, Brooklyn

macaronus and BigCabDaddy like this.
  12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Amateur radio here. Nothing like turning on the radio and being able to talk with someone around the world.

13. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

since I've become a Grandpa my life has completely changed ;) My daughter is what "consumes" the most of my time – and what gives me the most joy too. Ever since her arrival, my previous hobby, cooking (beyond the everyday meals), is on ice.

(I have to add that I think a (hu)man needs a modicum of self-time, i.e. hobby or leisure time. For lack of time, the 15 mins of shaving each morning serve that purpose for me, but it's just barely above the tolerance threshold...)

macaronus, BigCabDaddy and hrairy like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

About 3 years ago, my husband & I took up archery. It's taken over the house. We recently figured out that, between us, we have about 100 arrows.

15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Congrats. I understand...

RaZorBurn123 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  16. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Taekwondo
    Shooting
    Archery
    Harleys
    Camping
    Back packing

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@ARGH what kind of bow do you shoot?

18. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

My current set up is a Mathews FX.

I too have well over 100 arrows.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Mathews makes some very nice bows. Do you hunt or do target shooting? (Hubby & I do target & some 3D.)

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Hunt and league which is a combo of target and 3D from different positions. League tends to be very rough on arrows as you shoot at the same target as the opposition and a fair amount of robin hooding occurs. Cool when you Robin Hood your own arrows. Not so cool when the other guy is shooting your knocks off.

Sara-s likes this.