Anyone shave with their glasses on?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Spud, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Do you shave with glasses on?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    54.1%
  3. I have an extra pair just for shaving

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. I wear contact lenses

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Kinda tough when you shave in the shower.

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have one of these mounted on the wall next to my vanity mirror. One side is a magnifier. I generally only use it for straight razor use, as I can pretty much go by feel with a safety razor.
    IMG_1704.JPG

Terry, brit, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

+1. Either way is fine. I shave more by sound and feel than sight

Terry, Paul Turner, brit and 3 others like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you hear "ouch!" you know you're too far over?

I take my glasses off, at least at the start. I shave my sideburns a bit above where my ear attaches to the face, so the glasses get in the way of a clean line. I shave in the shower most of the time (like @Sara-s ), so I have a shaving mirror in each of the showers at home. To make those of us older than the 'magic number' of 40 feel better, I've been legally blind without my glasses for decades, so even with the mirror, I have to be less than 6 inches from it. Most of my face I do by feel, and what I can see by watching the lather disappear :p If the lather was light tan, I'd be in trouble. (Irish/Scots background. You don't get much whiter unless you are a mole-man)

I'm watching for a decent deal on a shaving mirror on a stand that I can put on the counter in one bathroom. Two feet is just too far away from the mirror to shave.

Terry, brit, FaceScraper and 3 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I said no, but I probably could do it until getting up to the sideburn area. Haven't yet.

brit and mrchick like this.
  6. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

32 here I shave with and without contacts I've never really thought about it until just now though. When I shave at night I don't have contacts in but when I shave in the morning I do. Out of habit I put my contacts in right after drying off when I get out of the shower. I don't think it matters much to me though I only need the glasses for distance.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

FaceScraper and mrchick like this.
  7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I'm 71 and shave every morning with my tri-focals on. I lather up without splashing, using a slower swirling motion. years ago I used a more vigorous lathering motion:).

Terry, brit, Bookworm and 1 other person like this.
  8. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Give it time, my friend. Give it time. I have to shave without contacts in, or glasses on, because my up-close vision ain't so great these days - at least not if I'm wearing corrective lenses. I used to be able to read the phone book in dim light - until I hit around 45-ish. My contacts/glasses are for distance, but that throws my near vision outta whack. Needless to say, between my wife and me, there are cheater glasses all over the place! :)

Paul Turner, Terry, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I need my glasses on to see what I'm doing. I lift them a bit when I shave the upper cheeks. They get in the way more when I use a straight razor and stretch my skin.

Paul Turner and Terry like this.
  10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I've had to wear glasses for the past 5 years while shaving. Seems like I can't see anything without them. Even with bifocals I prefer reading glasses when I'm on the computer.

Clayton

Paul Turner and Terry like this.
  11. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am nearsighted so I can shave w/o my peepers.

Terry and brit like this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I can shave without them at my place now. The other house, the mirror nwas just too far away. I told folks I didn't need glasses, that j could see a truck coming at me.
    I do mostly go by feel and Audi feedback ,but for of the detail work I take them off.
    I can see very well up close, but my distance is the issue. It was so bad I had to ask SWMBO what the t v. Said. I also had a major eye issue in my left eye when I was 12, had to have emergency surgery, so that one gives me problems.

13. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I’m 56 and wear glasses for everything. The one thing, well make that one of two things, that I don’t need the glasses for is shaving. It’s close enough that I can basically see what i’m doing. I don’t need to see much more than what part of my face I’m working on and where the shaving lather is. Things could change but I’m hoping my eyes start getting better soon. Doesn’t that happen to old farts? I think i heard that somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Terry, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

at 51 i use reading glasses only so far. i need them on to post and type here..shave by feel on the final /pick up passes.

Terry likes this.
  15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Getting my cataracts done at Togas VA in Jan. and Feb. I will only need reading glasses after, so hopefully, I won't need them to shave. I stand about 2 ft. from the mirror. Time will tell.

Terry likes this.
  16. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

With DE or SE I do not need glasses but with SR I must wear. If not I will pull a vincent van gogh on my ear. After years of practice, I can pull a SR up and under my gasses for WTG

17. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Never wear my glasses while I shave. I am much more handsome when I cannot see myself.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    MntnMan62, Terry, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

me too..:)..when i dust my mirror..

Terry likes this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have wore bi-focals since my mid 40's because I'm going far sighted. Used to read the numbers on any IC or transistor with ease, not any more!
    Looks like most just shave by feel and sound after they get the knack of a blade on the face. I don't use my glasses to shave, yet. I wear my glasses into the shower to give them a good daily washing, then don't put them back on until I clean my razor after use. I had an issue with a Muhle R41 and found that sound and feel was the only way to learn the razor, I closed my eyes after landing the thing in the right place before a stroke. Thought it was the craziest thing I ever did. Now, reading this thread, seems maybe not so much on the loonatic side of things.
    Interesting....
    Thanks!
    tp

brit and Frijolero like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

And now an update-I'm going to gradually "train myself" to shave with them on. That experience I had with the first of my current set of Stoylin A.S. samplers was a turning point in my thinking on this.

brit likes this.