Anyone use canned goo only?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by David W650, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

I love traditional soaps and creams- Williams, Palmolive, Valobra sticks and other Italian soaps, etc. But I also have always loved canned foam. Not gel, but foam. I have regular and "yellow can" Barbasol as well as Pinaud Clubman (a terrific foam, by the way) but my two faves are white can Noxzema and Gillette Foamy Barbershop Fresh. The Barbershop Fresh was discontinued around 2015 so I bought a case of 24 cans. I probably have that many cans of the white Noxzema as well. Problem is that I probably use foam once every 10 days or two weeks, so I will never finish it. The Noxzema is my favorite scent in shaving- must be a childhood memory thing. The Foamy Barbershop really smells like lather machine lather from the barber shop. Beautiful citrus-amber scent. If you know the scent of the Italian Vitos Aftershaving splash-- its very close to that scent. If I use foam too frequently I do find that it dries my skin, but that is remedied with an unscented moisturizer like CeraVe, available for short money at Walmart. As with any shaving software the key is preparation. Wash my face with good soap, rinse, rub the foam into my face by hand for at least half a minute, then I rinse most of it off, reapply, and I get a slick, glossy lather that is often as good as what I get with a brush and a tallow soap. I just shaved with the Gillette Barbershop Fresh and finished with a splash of Vitos Aftershaving and I'm in the glow.

The fact is that I love traditional shaving in all its aspects, and canned foam is, after all, something that has been around now for nearly 75 years, so like it or not it belongs to "the tradition." It isn't for me every day, like I wrote, but when I'm in the mood, nothing else hits the spot.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Interesting commentary. I've used the Pinaud foam before, and may well try it again sometime. As members here know, I use the "reformulated" Rise "Super Foam" a lot, which I love. I'm down to my last 3 cans.I say I love it, but I'd prefer the Original Rise(gone by the wayside, it appears). I've used Noxema Regular, Barbasol, and Gillette Foamy. All are fine. But I am pleased to be using shave soaps as well now, as a TSD member. I suppose I have all bases covered, right? :).

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jacobite like this.
  3. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

I can picture the old Rise can- white can, with teal green lower case lettering and a big red dot over the "i" but I can't remember the scent. I was just a kid in the 60s when it was popular. How's the reformulation? Worth a try?

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

I'm afraid it's too late to try the reformation type I have, as they(riseintlgroup)got rid of it for a smaller can, different color. I haven't yet been able to determine if the current kind is a little more like the Rise of old, or the same as what I have now. You talked about buying a case of cans-the new Rise is $36 for a case of 24. Like you, I was a kid in the 60's. I do still have in my head the commercial from former NY Giant great Andy Robustelli doing Rise, because in those days as I vaguely recall, they televised every NY Giant game. Not much of a scent, as I recall, but the focus was on the face-feel, and the strength of the cream. That part hasn't changed with the reformation Rise, but I do get the sense that it isn't the exact same scent.

5. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I've always applied canned creams or gels by hand and the results have been fine to good. Today I put some Nivea canned gel on the tip of my moist shave brush and faced lathered. I got some outstanding lather and the shave felt much better. The canned gels are fine but even better if you use a brush IMHO.

For the life of me I can't understand why I haven't tried this in the past!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I use canned foam when I trim my beard with clippers. The foam traps the hair and keeps in from getting all over the sink. Ive dabbled with shaving with canned foam/goo from time to time and most the the gels are quite good, whereas most of the foams give good cushion but not much slickness. IMO, Gillette Foamy is the best canned foam. It gives good sickness with much more glide than you get from Barbasol. I find with Barbasol that it dries out my skin and has almost no residual slickness.

David W650 likes this.
  7. David W650

David W650 Active Member

IMHO canned creams and gels work quite well. The only downsize to them is they do leave your face somewhat dry and as mentioned with no residual slickness. Even after I apply a shave balm my face feels a little dry. They just don't provide the moisturizing benefits you get from shave creams or soaps.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Haven't touched the stuff since February 2014...:bounce017:

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

You're a youngster lol ... last time I tried it was in 1997 or so ;)

When I started wetshaving (in the 80's), I cannot remember if canned foam was readily available here. I know that all supermarkets still sold brushes, so I guess the majority of men used soap indeed.

I've tried canned foam a few times, but always with my hand, and I couldn't get the hang of that. After that, I never bothered with it.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Primotenore likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you for the compliment!

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

;)

It's always nice being called a young man :)

(happened to me yesterday)

12. Paul Turner

When I was 18, some people thought I looked 16. Now that I'm 60, would those same people think I look 58? (Chuk-yuk-yuk).

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, I am fifty, and people often think I'm in my early forties ... or they are flattering me ;)

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Paul Turner likes this.
  14. Badgerstate

Ive found that Nivea shave gel has pretty good slickness, residual slickness and doesnt dry my skin out. If I were to go canned goo only, I probably go Nivea. Its nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

15. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Been using Lucky Tiger Face Tonic as a shave balm while using Nivea shave gel. Does a nice job but I'm going to use Nivea Sensitive Aftershave balm to see if it does a better job of moisturizing my face. Also Nivea balm may be better suited for the upcoming cold weather as Lucky Tiger seems better suited for the warmer months.

As for shave gels I picked up some Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel recently. Sprayed a little in my hand and darn did it smell like Cella to me.

16. Badgerstate

You'll like the Nivea. It does a great job of moisturizing. If it had a better scent or really any scent, it would be perfect.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

17. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

That's neat...I like the Lucky Tiger face tonic too. I haven't seen many references to it so it really caught my eye.
    346x0f4.jpg

18. Badgerstate

I don't think it's really available in the states. I've never found it locally and even on Amazon they give a 3 week shipping time.

19. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

How I found mine still cracks us up. Amy and I were visiting relatives in South Carolina and stopped at a "beauty supply store" that was just a one store, easily overlooked place. But...inside he had tons of Pinaud, Jeri's and Lucky Tiger bottles. He had two bottles of the face toner. Why I left with only one of them I'll never know. It was NOS and still fine. 346x0f4.jpg

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Badgerstate

Oddly enough, Lucky Tiger is based in Milwaukee.