Anyone using the Shapton Glass

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BIG SAM, Sep 16, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

Sharpening Stone 16000 Grit for a finishing stone? I’ve been using an Arkansas surgical stone. I’m not likening my shaves and thought I might switch to something else

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's a little early to be switching stones, eh?
    Didn't you just get this arkie? Honestly, it takes time and practice to get the hang of ANY stone, particularly the naturals.
    If you're not liking the shaves off the stone, first thing is to check your technique. This is especially true for newcomers to honing.
    Switching stones wont help a faulty technique.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Kevin is Spot On..My Black Arkie Can Push Out a 20 K Edge..No Problem..To Be Honest an Arkie Surgical Black Stone is VERY UNFORGIVING to ERRORs Either on that Hone Directly or Due to Previous Work Done on the Razor..If the Bevel & Progression Aint Bang On an Arkansas Stone will NOT Work for You at All..:)

That Said..A Synthetic Hone is Far Easier to Learn On..No Bones about it..:eek:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Slow down Cowboy. Perfect your techniques with one stone at a time. I learned with inexpensive bevel setters, and some nice Welsh Slate Stones, as finishers. These were my only stones I had for a year, and I learned well with them. Then I bought an Arkie Surgical Black, and this stone is an Ultra Finisher. Not really needed but it will help put a wicked edge on an already sharp razor. It can put on too sharp of an edge at times.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use a Shapton glass 16k and love it. The only other finisher I use is a Zulun Grey. What are using now? What are you using before the Arkie?