Anyone who like to combine both an AS Splash & an AS Balm ?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by CHSeifert, Nov 25, 2011.

1. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Hey :)I wonder if I'm the only one who uses both an AS Splash and an AS Balm at the same time after shaving ?

I either hybrid/combine them directly in my hand before applying or first use the splash/lotion followed by the thicker balm - especially during the winter this ritual works very nice for me :)

I find that I use a bit more AS Splash than balm in the summer and the other way around during the winter. I really like this hybrid combination of Splash and Balm. I try to focus on what's inside the AS products I use, scent just have to be tolerable but NOT lasting since I use an EDT fragrance of the day after my shave & skin care ritual.

So far my 4 favourites AS Splash/Balms hybrids are:

1. Speick AS Lotion/Splash + Musgo Real AS Balm

2. Clinique Post Shave Healer (more of a very thin balm lotion really) + Edwin Jagger AS AloeVera Lotion (more of a balm really)

3. Proraso AS Splash + Proraso AS Liquid Balm

4. Proraso Razor Burn Repair (more of a very thin balm) + Proraso Sensitive Balm

Always looking for new solutions to my 'problems' of course, but these 4 are VERY GOOD, if not GREAT AS solutions !!

What's your favourites ?

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

The only time I do it is when I use 444 balm; I generally put a small dab on my hand along with a puddle of a splash, mix the two and apply it to my face.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I combine AS and ASB just about every shave. Most of the time, I combine the two in my hands and apply at once. I think the AS helps disburse the balm over my skin more evenly and I just like the effects. Usually, there's no good reason why I choose what I choose. The only balm I don't mix is RazzoRock AS Wax. Here's a few examples of what I've done so far.
    • Captain's Choice Bay Rum + Musgo Real Balm
    • Proraso Splash + Proraso Balm
    • Tabac Splash + Tabac Balm
    • Tabac Splash + Acca Kappa Cedar Balm
    • Clubman + Cade
    • Floid Blue + ANYTHING!
    Good thread!

4. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I believe mantic had a video about this, if you look on utube you should be able to find it, it is called "How to select and use aftershave balms and splashes". He suggests that you apply the more watery item first then the thicker item second. Watch the video, I found it very intresting.

I use Alcolado glacial applied first and then wait a minute to apply the balm such as proraso ASB or Nivea Sensitive.
    I am exploring with this right notw as well. I never had much luch with the AS splash before, but I have been using Alcolado and Osage rub and I have been really enjoying them.

alpla444 and GDCarrington like this.
  5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

When I used splashes I put on the splash then Nivea Balm, now I substitute a splash for Witch Hazel and am currently using Afta Balm.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I don't stack them on my face, but I do frequently use a balm on the face and a splash on body and in hair fo the scent factor.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

8. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Thanks for your tip and thanks for your post !!

However; while I HIGHLY RESPECT Mantic for his instructional YouTube videos on DE shaving technique, I have not so much respect for his point of views on the dermatology aspect of things ;)

I'm a skin care freak/aficionado and have been so for my entire adult life, thus 20+ years :p

I know very much what I like and what's good for my skin; just wanted to hear if anyone else felt the same about mixing AS splash & Balms in 'hybrids' and which products worked for them :)