Apollo Mikron Traveler set

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Jake, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

In addition to my recently acquired Kabrand Traveler, I just picked up a beautiful mint Apollo Mikron Traveler -- delivered in a zippered leather case. I've had several of these Mikrons in the past, but never one in this style case. And never had one without the usual logo on the head, or one in such good condition.

[​IMG]
    The cleaning brush was affixed with a small leather strap that's come loose.

[​IMG]
    In the front of the case you can see the little metal key that I can't figure out how to use.

[​IMG]
    Supplied with a set of instructions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That great Apollo Mikron logo stamped on the bottom of the head assembly.

[​IMG]
    I'll report on how it shaves in a week or so.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very nice addition!

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I can't see threads like this or I start craving razors.:)

battle.munky and GDCarrington like this.
  4. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Very cool Jake. It's just like mine except for the colour P1000911.JPG P1000912.JPG

Jake, battle.munky and alpla444 like this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That may be a good name for a rock band, "Craving Razors!"

Hanzo likes this.
  6. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

Looks great, I have never seen one of these before

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Jake, in Huck's original post about his, he states about the key: There's a key that you insert in the bottom of the handle that you can adjust how much the head will rise when you re-insert the adjusting knob. I got it to the point where 1 is snug and really doesn't cut much and 8 is "Old Style with a Feather" kind of aggressive.

rodd and Jake like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweeeeeeeeeet! :happy088: May it serve you well.

9. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

That is really nice! Thanks for sharing! I have never even seen one of these before and this looks like a very clean, excellent example!

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Both are very nice I aint seen that razor before, very nice. Thanks for sharing:)

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Thanks Gents -- and Jody was right... As Huck1680's posting explains that the key is used inside the cylinder of the handle to make a finer adjustment for the adjustable setting. This was not something available on the other Mikrons -- the ones presented in the Bakelite cases -- and with the tapered handle. So I'm glad this is the one I'm going to hold on to. And thanks Jody & Huck!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Very, very interesting. I think I had heard of this type of razor before, but now I have a clear image, and what a great looking razor it is.

Nothing about shaving interests me as much as the amazing variety of safety razor designs out there.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I took a few more photos to illustrate the key that's used for adjusting the inner workings of the adjustable mechanism. It means the adjustments can go all the way from 1-18, not just 1-9.

[​IMG]
    The little leather loop that holds the cleaning brush is now firmly attached.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The key fits into the handle connecting to those slots and can tighten or loosen the inner adjuster.

rodd likes this.
  14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Awesome! I can't wait to get home and look at mine. I have one in that style of case, and thought the head was frozen, maybe I just need to look for a key! I hope that does it! Thanks guys for the info and pictures!

15. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

those are beautiful razors :)

16. TheStyx

TheStyx Active Member

I too have one of those, that came in the brown leather case. Unfortunately for me the leather case is nothing to write home about, but it should be quite easily reparable. The razor on the other hand is in mint condition. Not a single mark on it and all the pieces that came in the case are still there too. I like this razor quite a lot and use it quite frequently. I just wish my case was in as good a condition as yours, Jake.