April 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Favorite way to use Arko?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2016.
  1. Shave stick!!

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Press into bowl

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Mosquito repellent

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. S'mores

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Only to be used with Veg and a Derby blade!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Arko? Seriously? Again? I am just here for the cookies...

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings Denizens!

Welcome to the April 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule or Focus discussion threads. Since January 2015, and each month since, a group of TSD members have gathered and posted their experiences with thirty day exercises. Though the discussion can be both quite boisterous and wandering--technique, and the interplay of technique and gear are the topics that drive our discussion, and a love of this hobby bonds us together. From time to time we may even stop and ask ourselves "What's the worst that could happen?", and sometimes I think we have more fun writing about shaving than we do actually shaving! Make sure to stop by the SOTD thread and post a pic and a meet the guys over there if you're new to TSD. They are a very cool crew, and the various posts are a virtual daily gallery of "what's up?" on the forum.

When I was a brand new DE shaver, GD Carrington introduced me to the following concepts, and I started to do thirty day rules. My shaving happiness increased immensely, as I finally learned to use all the gear I had collected on my search for great shaves. The two types of exercises are in action on this thread.

The 30 Day Rule (Rigorous, but highly recommended to Brand Newbies)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's have another great year sharing our hobby!

image.jpeg

The housekeeping:

We love new members!
    We play nice, always.
    We follow the forum rules.
    We focus on the here and now.
    We welcome all to post here, and all razor types and styles.

Thanks for reading, and may April bring 30 more great shaves!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

April Focus

I will continue my march through the alphabet of Schick injectors. Since January I’ve spent a month each with my Type C, D and then Es. I’ll spend April with my Type F.

Cheers!
    RT

3. Bama Samurai

Hi Vince! The F looks like a fighter plane, I've heard it's a great shave! Welcome back!

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well, I'm sure none of you is expecting this, but, I have a major announcement. After more than a year of great fun and good times, I am going to be leaving TSD. I feel like I have accomplished everything I set out to do in regards to trying traditional shaving. I will miss the fun we have, but because I have decided to end my experiment and return to a more modern shaving system (yes, that means cartridges), I feel it is best for me to move along at this point.

Thanks for all the fun, the learning opportunities, and the chance to make a few friends. If you'd like to stay in touch just PM me with your email and we can do that.

Now, as for my gear, I am putting it all up for sale, so I'll list it below for you to check out. I'll be taking offers so if there's something you want let me know. You can PM me as well and I'll hang around until it's all gone.

Thanks again for everything guys....and gals. Good luck to all. Inventory follows.

april_fools_day_comment_25.gif april_fools_day_comment_25.gif april_fools_day_comment_25.gif april_fools_day_comment_25.gif april_fools_day_comment_25.gif

It's Russian month for me.....bladewise anyway. And it's ARKO APRIL!!! And finishing with THE VEG!!

Pretty simple month. I need to reconnect with the blades from Moscow and the cartel boys were beginning to question my loyalty. Hard to keep them in line when they do that. So, I'll use my 1959 Gillette Super Speed, Arko, whichever brush I feel like and finish with the Veg. Ten Russian blades in this order.......

1. Rapira Platinum Lux
    2. Sharp Star
    3. Rapira Super Stainless
    4. Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    5. Rapira Chrome
    6. Voskhod
    7. Ladas

Those 7 are all Mostochlegmash blades from Moscow and random.org set the order. The final three.....

8. Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
    9. Sputnik
    10. Gillette Silver Blue

Those are all, of course, Gillette's from St. Petersburg.

My ultimate goal is to rate them in order of preference, as well as enjoy a month of hopefully great shaves before hitting MAYhem. Yes, I'm already working on that.

Let's have a fun and productive APRIL everyobody!!

5. Bama Samurai

:happy097::happy102::happy097: :happy088:

6. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

April 30 Day Rule

Pso-Homemade mint oil
    Brush- RazoRock Plissoft
    Razor-Gillette Slim
    Blade- Gillette Silver Blue
    Soap- Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Gondolier
    Thayers Witch Hazel

Thanks to the advice of @Bama Samurai I'll be doing a rule next month instead of a focus. I will be using the above for every shave. The only thing I will change is possibly the Slim setting (I'm starting at 7 and will adjust from there) and my after shave. This month will solely be about technique with the goals of zero sting from the AS, face stretching improvements and dual hand shaving. It's going to be a fun month and I look forward to reading all of your posts.

7. Bama Samurai

No one is a bigger fan of 30 Day rules than me! Good luck!

8. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Agreed!

In May of last year I quit cartridges and did my first 30 Day Rule. (at age 59!) That set me up for an enjoyable journey through this wet shaving life knowing that my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Stick with it and it may do the same for you.
    Cheers!
    RT

9. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

I will be doing a strict rule/looes focus this month although I cant officially start until the 4th or 5th when my...........first straight razor arrives. The Rule part? 60-90 days (Same as what @Bama Samurai did with his straight) of learning the straight razor. I will use the STR8 for each shave that is the rule part. The loose part of the rule /focus is I will be using different brushes and soaps throughout the 60-90 days and will also have my Gillette NEW LC as backup in case things get bloody or go south.

So for the next 60-90 days I will be using:

Gold Dollar 208 6/8ths Straight Razor (Should I get a few of these or just stick to learning this straight and buy others down the road?)
    Gillette NEW LC (Emergency Backup)
    Rite Edge Strop (Not sure quality of it but it seems like it will do although I plan on picking up a good quality one)
    Brush-Will switch between my JR #23 Silvertip and Stirling Synthetics
    Soaps-Will vary but will stay away from my Glacials until I get comfortable with the Str8...heavy eye watering menthol and a noob Str8 shaver sound like an ER trip
    Aftershaves-Vary
    Calls to 911-Daily

Also any tips are appreciated as I have no idea what to expect and am a little kinda a lot scared....

RyX, Robyflexx, Rusty blade and 13 others like this.
  10. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Congrats of acquiring a straight. I look forward to reading about your experiences

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Good call on the menthol. After you get a few cuts under your belt, this will make more sense. You will feel a little sting right before the razor digs in and actually cuts you. The bark before the bite. The heavily mentholated soaps numb this, so you realize you cut your self when the lather turns pink. As far as multiple GDs, I would suggest having a back up if you mess up the edge of your straight stropping. I think there are a lot of nice vintage razors out there for the same money as a GD. I would go vintage, but that is me. I look forward to seeing how you do with the straights!

RyX, Douglas Carey, Robyflexx and 8 others like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My focus for April will be in three areas:
    1. Lather: Going to use three of my top five soaps. Jeeves of Hudson Street Turkish Barber, Route 66 Sweeny Todd, and Barrister & Mann Seville. Hoping to use up the rest of the Seville by the end of the month, but we will see.
    2. Technique: Two pass and done. No touch ups. I want to focus on getting the most out of each pass.
    3. Razors: Only going to use one, and not buy any more. I can't even type that with a straight face. I usually get about 16 shaves in a month. Going to try to use at least two of my eBay purchases after honing them, and use the shave ready ones I haven't used yet. My goal over the next few months is to use every razor I have, and figure out which ones to get rid of. (@NCoxSTL, I have this Russian straight that might need a home. Its a better shaver than yours.)
    Going to continue to enjoy the shenanigans, and keep trying to do or type something stupid funny enough for a custom title. As far as the survey, I didn't see the best option for Arko. Squish it into a puck, and use it in urinal. It will do double duty in keeping the mosquitos down.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice plan. It will help your technique!

14. Mr. Freeze93

Thanks for the tip. Any certain vintages you would suggest? Only downfall is I don't have like $50+ at the moment to drop on a great straight so I went with GDs. I was on EBay last night looking at a few nice ones and they all said they where shave ready but I don't know how reliable the sellers are who say shave ready as I have heard of a many people receiving "shave ready" straights they where not shave ready. I am thinking of getting 2-3 WD sight unseen's as well.

RyX, Douglas Carey, mrchick and 10 others like this.
  15. Mr. Freeze93

I look forward to it as well! On the plus side SWMBO finds scars manly so worse case scenario I will still be handsome in her eyes as I am sure there will be blood.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Any and all orphaned Russian razors may apply for a visa to enter the benevolent kingdom of the Russian Blade Czar. And saying it's better than mine isn't saying much, you do realize that? There are tin cans with better edges than my Russian straight!

Rusty blade, Bill_F, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

May - Chipped Obsidian Dry Shave Challenge Pro/Am

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Now you see? That's what I call a Challenge!!

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm thinking there are several potential CT's in that last sentence alone!

20. Bama Samurai

"Keeps skeeters down, y'all!"?