April 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Favorite way to use Arko?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2016.
  1. Shave stick!!

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Press into bowl

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Mosquito repellent

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. S'mores

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Only to be used with Veg and a Derby blade!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Arko? Seriously? Again? I am just here for the cookies...

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery! :)

Drygulch, PLAla, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Aloe Vera! Heal fast buddy!!

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Thanks all! I had to do lay off meetings with my previous department last month, but managed to help them all find jobs. Was really glad this one opened up when it did. Won't be on the forum as much, but will still be trying to keep up.

RaZorBurn123, RyX, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Congrats on the new job, Adam!

6. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

From the kitchen of pain Chef @DDuckyMark and Chef @Mr. Freeze93 bring you our signature dish "Right Hand Well Done"..

Hope it heals fast!

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Yours was a grease burn and mine was boiling water. I managed to catch my right arm on the edge of the rotisserie later today too.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Tech Black Plastic Handle Razor (X4) 1952
    Blade: Dorco ST 301 Platinum SK (7)
    Brush: WDC-8 TGN Finest
    Soap: Eufros Brisa de Oriente
    A/S: Myrsol Aqua Balsamica
    Bowl: 3D printed
    Finished the week with this razor and blade. The razor may get used again, however, I wouldn't put any money on that. The Dorco ST 301 Platinum did it's job perfectly. So far this blade is my personal find of the year. I should also add that this 3D printer bowl work excellent. The wide month; funny my wife says that about me, or maybe wide isn't the word she uses :) makes it very easy to work the shave brush, along with the ridged bottom of the bowl whips up a great lather. I think I'll try and figure out a way of painting the bowl to add some color. :signs002:

16 04 16.JPG

9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Different flavors of pain.

Thank you to everyone for the well wishes. Its not bad enough to get me off work at all but it is painful for my painstick grip. I found myself getting the new guy to handle all the hot stuff the rest of the day while I had my hands near elbow deep in cold chicken or gallons of cornbread mix.

I may end up using a single blade disposable razor a few times this month along with my soviet special. light weight razors that do all right if I treat them the right way. The disposables are ultra mild and the Soviet has a blade gap you could fly a jet through.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Doug. What do you think of the TGN Finest compared to the Silvertip?

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD April 16, 2016
    Russian blades focus

Prep: Warm shower
    Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
    Razor: Maggard MR1 handle with V2 open comb
    Brush: Trader Joes synthetic
    Lather: Country Club Cahaba Blues
    Post: Witch hazel splash enhanced with Fine American Blend, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, XTG, ATG (cheeks only), touch-up

Cold water 3.gif

Today is my birthday and I went with some of my favorite products for today's shave. The Cahaba Blues soap is always a great choice for me. It makes a rich, thick lather that is nice and protective. Good post-shave feel too. I love that soap. The Rapira Platinum Lux blade has been a great blade the past few shaves. I'll be trying more Russian blades as the month progresses.

I tried an ATG pass today for this first time. I just tried it on my cheeks. I'm certainly smooth but it irritated my skin a little bit. I didn't care for the feel even two hours after the shave. Not sure I'll be adding an ATG pass to my daily shaves. I do just fine with WTG and XTG passes.

I hope everyone has a great day!

SOTD 4-16-16.jpg

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:bounce017::bounce017: Happy Birthday :bounce017::bounce017:

13. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Happy Birthday!

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Happy Birthday. I hope you are having a great birthday. Nice picture also. :happy088:

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Happy Birthday!

Just keep nailing down blade angle, you'll likely be able to Atg at some point in the future.

Drygulch, RaZorBurn123, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Arko April!!!

Planned 16 April 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fatip Grande
    Derby Extra (2)
    Arko!!
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Alum
    TSD ISZ AS Splash
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Have a great weekend!
    :)

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    April 16, 2016
    Prep: Hot Shower. Noxzema
    Razor: Fine Superlite Slant
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    Lather: Fine American Blend
    Brush: Shave Revolution "Evolution" Synthetic 24mm
    Aftershave: Fine American Blend
    The Fine Superlite Slant is very lite;) and efficient, you truly will need to pay attention with this razor as the normal habit may be to apply power pressure. It's very well built, feels great in my hand and didn't feel like it was going to slip out of my hand. I did put a drop of mineral oil on the threads as a precaution. It's shipped in a cool Retro box tucked away inside another fitted box. It's a win!!
    What defines us is how well we rise after falling.
    image.jpeg

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you very much for your kind words. Good question.

Both knots where ordered as 24/65 spec. The Silvertip came in at just under 24 and measured out at 66.3. Vanessa at TGN had told me up front about the oversize. She actually measured a number of knots to see if she had a 65mm. (Amazing customer service!!!) The TGN Premium Silvertip ($33.00) has much softer tips and less backbone. The Silvertip has a wider bloom, it blooms farther down the knot shaft. It works amazing with softer shave soaps. It also works good with harder soaps, but not to the same degree as a softer soap. That maybe getting a little picky. IMO

The TGN Finest ($27.00) was bang on 24/65 to my measurements. Once again I had asked Vanessa at TGN to see if she had a 24/65.8 in the Finest, (they list at 24/67) which she did no problem and found one for me. You can feel a slight prickling at the tips of the TGN Finest that you don't feel with the Silvertip, and I do mean slight. The TGN Finest has more backbone also. You will notice that the bloom is slightly higher up the shaft of the knot, (not a good picture/easier to see in person.) which is the result of more backbone. IMO. Both brush handles are 26mm hole by 15mm deep.
    The brushes are different, however, they work great. I love them both. I have been very pleased with TGN as a company and their products. I really can't say enough about Vanessa and her customer service.
    Thanks @clint64
    TGN Front view TGN Premium(L)TGN Finest(R).JPG

Top View TGN Premium Silver (L) & TGN Finest (R).JPG

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Doug, thanks for such a detailed write up. I agree that TGN offers a fantastic value and wide selection of knots.

20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

BDay1.GIF