April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Thanks ill check it out now

2. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Theres not much differnce in price on speciality bottle. I have a loose puck of gatlinburng soap thats in a big jar and it moves around and i hate that...

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Stirling like most artisan soaps is soft enough to press down into the container so it completely fills the bottom. Harder soaps such as Fine can be grated and pressed into any container.

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Quick update - the answer to my personal/family decision became apparent today. As often happens in my life following prayer, my wife and I had a "seemingly random" meeting with someone today, at the end of which, we both looked at each other and said "I guess we don't need to discuss this anymore". We may be missing out on a huge opportunity or a huge disaster, but it really doesn't matter. Having my wife and I in agreement and feeling that we are part of a bigger plan makes whatever "could have been" really unimportant. Thank you for all of you who prayed for us, thought of us, reached out to us, and/or put up with my personal post. You guys are awesome!

Keithmax, Screwtape, RyX and 8 others like this.
  5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I keep hearing about grating. Are we talking about literally with a cheese grater? Then do you pour water on it and let it gel up and then dry out or something? Details, results, and/or pics would be interesting.

Screwtape, RyX, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Yep, grate it with a literal cheese grater. Grate it into any container you wish. It will be soft enough to push down and form into the new container while grating. The only soap I've added water to while grating was Williams, and it was basically for an experiment. The Mitchell's Wool Fat that I have was grated into that container for make it fit. Doesn't affect the soap quality or lathering.

Get a cheap $1 grater from Dollar Tree or a similar store and just keep it for grating soaps. My wife glared at me when I mentioned using the kitchen grater for such a purpose. I have my own now.

Keithmax, Screwtape, RyX and 9 others like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What happened here, if I may ask? PM me.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

For Fine Italian Citrus I just opened the box and used an old cheese grater. After is was grated I pressed it into a container. The soap really firmed up after I used it.

[​IMG]

On a couple of other Fine soaps I put them in a bowl and soaked it in water for an hour or so. Then I cut off small pieces and pressed them into a shave sticks. I started with the stick dialed all the way up and lowered it as I pressed in the soap.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Screwtape, RyX and 7 others like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Good call, Perry!

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My prayers during such times are that the correct door be opened and that I have the wisdom to recognize the correct path. Sounds like your prayers were answered and you were both smart enough to recognize it.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Glad to hear it!

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Beautiful razor, Jim!

13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

You can see that the Stirling sample pucks can just be pressed into the containers easily. No need for a grater. Two are just pressed without deformation and the third was mashed a bit but it all works great

IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3805.JPG

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I don't think I posted Wednesday's shave. Went with a smaller razor. Geo. Korn American Double Hollow. Sings like a hollow, but stiffer like a quarter hollow. Good to be back on my soap rotation.
    IMG_6060.jpg

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Timeless SB 0.95, w/ El Druida Titanium & Carbon Fiber Handle
    Blade: Personna Star (6) Made in Great Britain
    Brush: Elite Razor Amigos Ironwood Beehive w/Envy White
    Soap: Route 66 Bay Lime Twist
    Aftershave: Myrsol Agua de Limon
    Boise Mudworks bowl Olive

Near perfect shave tonight. Nothing more to add.
    28 04 17b.jpg

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Lovely setting for a such a great photo.

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Clint. Hope you can get a ride in this weekend. :happy088:

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent picture Adam. I like that brush.

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy088::happy088:

20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Frank, I really enjoy using CF lavender also. I recently found it for $27 at http://www.shaving.ie/. Sit down before you read this next sentence. I use a big glob of it to make my lather. [​IMG]

Screwtape, RyX, Drygulch and 3 others like this.