April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

High in silicates but otherwise fairly soft. Dissolved minerals need be precipitated out of the water before a lather appears. Here we have sand, but not much calcium or iron.
    Whatever the variables I do like the soap's performance and strong scent.

2. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

April 30 - Crowne & Crane

Merkur 34C
    Personna Red(day 4)
    French Vanilla (JR 72)
    DIY PSO
    C&C Port Royal Bay Rum
    Alum/Thayers/Nivea

Today I chose another sample from the pass around box, C&C Port Royal Bay Rum. Having little experience with bay rums, I was anxious to try it.

Demitasse spoon amount was pressed into the bowl and methodically water was added very slowly. Lather reminded me of Barrister & Mann or Stirling in that it was thick, rich and slick. Scent was like a slightly sweeter rum with some spice and herbal notes. I really enjoyed its scent. I did not fill the bathroom but was strong enough to be smelled from the bowl set a few feet away. The manufacturer posted this for the scent:

I liked that it wasn't just a powerful clove scent and was nicely balanced.

I was very light with the razor being the blade was now on its fourth multipass shave. I was very pleased and surprised that the alum was less stinging today that yesterday. Light passes and a great soap are my belief for these results. The Personna Red did very well and would use them when others are not available.

I am very happy with Royal Port Bay Rum and would enjoy adding it to my den.

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thanks Clint, shined her up yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree. She does such a great job with her scents and the soap just performs so well. The post shave feel has to be one of the best I have experienced.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy088: I have a Gem 1912 that needs some help. Trying to work something out with North Shore Razors so I am hopeful.

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Sounds like you just need to take a vacation to Hawaii and get it done while you are there. I'd recommend staying at Turtle Bay Resort !

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Charlie and Clint! We had a lot of fun, and managed to go through 10 states. The kids got a kick out of it and we showed them a little of the town we lived in before any of them were born. It brought back a lot of memories for us, as we had some struggles including my cancer treatments way back then, but we came through them much stronger. It gave my wife and I an opportunity to realize how blessed we have been. In short it really was a wonderful trip.

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Andrew! I really enjoy the 1912 razors.

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

No worries that area has been occupied since 1974. :)

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

This is from the Mystic Water Website.

"The New formula soaps include a small amount of citric acid as a chelating agent to make lathering easier if you have hard water, and cut down on soap scum. I am gradually replacing all of my soap with the new formula."

So not much of a change at all but for me it seemed to work easier.

SharptoothC, ob1page, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  11. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Andrew, in the last week or so you have posted a picture of the coolest slant I have ever seen, as well as the coolest Gem I have never seen. Your taste and razors is impressive! I am jealously looking forward to pics of more of your collection.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Timeless SB 0.95, w/ El Druida Titanium & Carbon Fiber Handle
    Blade:Gillette Sliver Blue (1)
    Brush: Elite Razor Amigos Ironwood Beehive w/Envy White
    Soap: Route 66 Bay Lime Twist
    Aftershave: Myrsol Agua de Limon
    Boise Mudworks bowl Olive

30 04 17b.jpg

13. BaylorGator

In response to Shavette Fu's lament that not enough blade reviews are out there, I have started a thread for blade reviews, and laid down a few ground rules to make sure the reviews posted there are as helpful and meaningful as possible. I would encourage anyone in the 30 DC to post, as I know there are a number of guys here who have a lot of knowledge on the subject. It would be awesome if that thread caught some traction and became a "go to" resource for folks on this board.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful photo. The Agua de Limon is some good stuff. After I finish up the my two citrus Folsom & Co aftershaves, the Limon will be my next purchase.

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Fortunately I have a few Folsom & Co. backups. I really like the Myrsol Agua de Limon, as does my wife.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If we responded to all of Shavette Fu's laments, we wouldn't have time to shave!

[​IMG]

SharptoothC, ob1page, wchnu and 8 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Closest I've seen to a Blade Rating Thread was folks reporting their 100 blade purchases. I went from post #1 to that current entry and tabulated the results. There were certain blades that were preferred judging by their larger purchase totals.
    The topic of "Why don't we have a DE Blade Subforum?" comes up, gets answered with too subjective & will devolve into arguments, and fades. Until it comes up again. One day Neal will conclude his Grand Blade Trials and report his findings. Then we'll all know his results. As a reference it will be comprehensive with numbers, charts and graphs, and 8X10 glossy photos with notes on the back.
    Then you'd still have to buy a tuck of whichever blades and try them yourself.

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

We eagerly await the results of Neal's watershed scientific study. Conducting advanced scientific research is a lengthy and tedious process.

1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  19. BaylorGator

I was hoping this place could be someplace Neal could chime in, as I know there is an interest in genuine blade reviews. I certainly have one as well. I laid out the ground rules as well as I could to get informed reviews posted, and keep YMMV squabbles to a minimum. My instructions sounded a bit like they were posted by a nun with a ruler in her hands, but I've been called worse things than that before. Well, anyway, it is out there. We will see if it is a useful tool or a dumpster fire ( or hear the crickets chirping) in relatively short order.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It has become quite lengthy and tedious - more than I ever imagined - but I am in the process of getting it together bit by bit. Still a bunch of blades to go as well. I probably need to forego some of the shenanigans and just focus on that but.....where's the fun in that, right? I would like to know, however, where you got that portrait of me? That was supposed to be in a locked office.