April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll take a look when I get a chance. I have the next two days off though day one is going to be spent getting the new car titled and all that fun jazz with the DMV. We all know how well those days can go.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

April Arko Adjustable Focus!

Arko - Clubman Enhanced, B-400 Tux brush
    '59 Gillette #195, Dorco Platinum ST-301 blade
    Alum block, Pinaud Clubman aftershave lotion

SOTD 04302017.gif
    Arko & Clubman? How's about Barbershop scented Arko! Loaded the synth knot and went to the bowl. Started agitating, gave it a shot of AS which promptly reduced the protolather. Couple dribbles of water & more stirring the bowl brought it right back. As I applied the less than regularly voluminous lather I noted the thickness. Something in the Pinaud may have kept the bubbles down, but enhanced the creaminess. This will happen again; next time I Arko there will be Clubman in the mix. Took the Fay Boy through it's paces noting the less than stellar performance of the Dorco blade. WTG at #9. Downshifted to #6 for ATG, XTG, & G-Slides. With plenty of the less fluffy/more creamy lather clean up passes ensued.
    If just one person added AS to their Arko lather, you'd think they were sick. If two shavers did it...And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people adding AS to their lather...
    Good Shaves Y'all!

3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK, I am in. Somehow in the last week I ended up with two sticks of Arko, and was considering what to do with the second one, as the first one, combined with my other soaps, won't need to be replaced for at least 20 years. It gives me an excuse to play with the cheese grater, and use my new clubman sample in a science project. Hopefully more lemmings will follow. I just have to go get the soap containers and a cheese grater first.

mrchick, SharptoothC, ob1page and 6 others like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you, Jim!
    Thanks, there will be a new razor making an appearance every week!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

IMG_1660.JPG

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Myrsol lemon is good stuff! I was surprised how mentholated it was though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. BaylorGator

At least you'll get to meet some interesting new friends in the process! You can double up the experience by taking the city bus there and back. I'm sure there will be story value in the experience that can be shared as well.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'd suggest trying it in small batches with different AS's or colognes. Arko is Very Lemon and my not compliment just any old scent. An option is to grate the soap & let it air out for a while to reduce the one note song. I'm not the originator of the idea. Somewhere out there is a batch of Cavendish tobacco scented MWF, and IIRC Rose Arko.

mrchick, SharptoothC, ob1page and 6 others like this.
  9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I did the same once with my unscented AOS and one of my colognes .

clint64, SharptoothC, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  10. BaylorGator

Maybe I'll try using a fragrant ice cream flavor for one. We've got a cherry that might work well...

clint64, SharptoothC, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Richard!

clint64, SharptoothC, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  12. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Last shave of April... is May really tomorrow? Where does the time go?

So today was another shave, very similar to my previous. The Schick Injector, the Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny shaving soap...

A pass and 3/4 of another one.... and then touch ups with that lovely thing known as witch hazel. One weeper on the neck, but not a big deal. I am finding I get a closer shave if I use diagonal passes, so some more testing with that.

The big winner of this shave was the TSD Energy Aftershave Milk which came in the mail over the weekend. I few splashes in the balm and on the face and wow! I am loving the scent. Like I want to keep splashing it on. Maybe even huff it.

I like it so much that I think I'm going to have to get some of the TSD Energy Cologne. But so far A #1!

mrchick, Linuxguile, clint64 and 11 others like this.
  13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

April 30 (Sunday ) - back to the Italian croaps

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Alluminati Envy White brush
    Vitos Supercrema Extra Super Coco soap (aka "Red Green")
    Alum and Clubman VIBR

I "discovered" another soft Italian almond soap in my inventory tonight. Named after Red Green, a noted Canadian handyman and TV personality, it is a unique custom formulation. Red Green is obtained when "someone" pries cakes of Vitos Supercrema (Green label) and Extra Super Coco (Red label) soaps out of their overfilled containers, squishes them together, folds and re-folds them like a giant lump of PlayDough, and then kneads the resulting mixture into a handy large empty TOBS tub. I didn't even have to use any duct tape...

What is the performance like? Well, it's a lot easier to load the brush, because there's enough empty space in the new container to do so without spilling everywhere. Beyond that, the performance is much like using either Vitos Red or Green label soaps, which I couldn't tell apart anyway. At least now they'll be easy to use, and the emptied 100ml sample tubs are in turn a good fit for my Haslinger refill pucks.

The two pass shave very nearly gave me a BBS and the VIBR splash was a warm perky finish.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

When you are done playing with Arko, and want to really talk about being a Lemming.
    IMG_6098.JPG

mrchick, wristwatchb, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  15. BaylorGator

It doesn't have quite the mass appeal of "hey kid, I've got chocolate bunnies in the van" but it is similarly disturbing in an entirely different way.

mrchick, wristwatchb, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I always put a bit of old spice AS on top of a vintage cake of old spice soap when I use it. Works good for me!

mrchick, wristwatchb, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. He's hooked. Reel him in. :signs136:When you get ready to try a few more yell at me. I will loan you a few to try.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April!!!!!

April 30

Razor - Soviet Consul (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

All good things must come to an end and that includes Arko Adjustable April. My final shave for the month. I did use Arko for all 30 shaves. I used the same Arko stick for 28 of those, and the Arko I have pressed in an Old Spice mug for the other two. I started with a new stick on April 1.

Tonight's finish was awesome. The Consul on 6, the Rapira blade and the JR46 for the perfect Arko lather. Two passes to a near-BBS and the alum was mostly quiet. Hard to beat a shave like that. When I squeezed the brush and got an entire handful of lather still leftover after finishing I noticed as I always do how good Arko lather really is. Slick, thick, peaky, just a perfect lather. Makes me wonder why I even have other soaps around, other than the variety of scents. And, yes, Arko can be a bit drying as well. Still, a fine product at an unbeatable price.

My picture shows the stick I used all month next to a brand new one. I'm thinking my guess of how many shaves @Bama Samurai will get from a stick of Arko was quite low.

Thanks to everyone for an absolute fantastic month! Record number of posts AGAIN with another hour or so to go. Looking forward to MAYhem!

April 30 2017.jpg

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I saw and sniffed an Old Spice puck at an antique store. He was asking $25. It's still there far as I know. Now you got me wondering about Arko & Old Spice AS.
    I looked around the house for Medical tape. Have to go shopping before I can jump off that bridge. If I forget to put it on my shopping list I'll surely not remember when I shop.

mrchick, wristwatchb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If any of you want to try some SE or injetor shaves let me know. I will loan out anything but my lather catchers, my schick H1,E2, or M.