April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the 17 previous attempts...it'd be like "ACTION....CUT".

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

For my April focus, I will continue the brush and soap a week rotation. I am very close to finishing two soaps which will help reduce the inventory to a more reasonable level. The primary razor for the month will be the standard gap SS Wolfman OC. I might add another razor to the mix depending on acquisitions or my mood.

3. Paul Turner

"brush&soap a week"..interesting, I may look into trying that next fall/winter. The majority of my late spring/summer shaves will be from cans, but I will be using soap/brush once or twice in a while.

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Arko Adjustable April? Let's see... I am allergic to Arko, it literally makes my skin burn. So no on that part. Adjustable, hmm. I appear to have sold off all of my adjustable razors too. I guess I will look at a different plan. For the last two months, life events have kept me from actually doing much of a focus. For April, I will work on the following:
    1. Finish off my soap samples, and get back to my normal rotation. I have probably two shaves left on my Wheat State Soaps sample, and one sample of Mama Bear's Soap left. At that point I will be able to go back to my normal rotation of soaps, which is around 20 different scents. I want to be back to this by MayHem.
    2. Brush. Last few months have been with my Boar (Omega 10066 brush.) This month I am going to use my Ubersoft II 28mm synthetic brush, with a monogramed custom aluminum handle. I don't give this brush enough use.
    3. Razors. I am going through each of my razors I have recently received, and giving them a shave. Once this done, I will be focusing on my pile of around 20 that need to be honed. Most of these won't be keepers, but I want them shave ready so I can re-home them.
    4. Den Clearing. I need to get some razors out the door. I will post and start moving some of these out. I am trying to use up my software, rather than getting rid of it, but I imagine some of my soaps and aftershaves will be going into starter kits I am building for a few friends.

5. Paul Turner

Hi John-the arm feels fine now, but these pains flare up with too much or too quick use(like at the gym in addition to the greyhound dog speed loading),.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Sounds like you have an ambitious month planned. Good luck and good shaves!

7. Screwtape

Sounds almost like "tennis elbow". Sometimes an elbow tensor bandage can help with that.

8. Screwtape

A brush and soap a week sounds like a good usage plan - you spend long enough with each to learn its quirks while changing off frequently enough to avoid any boredom. I may eventually settle on something like that once I have done with sampling everything.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A month of chasing zen shaves. I like it.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

No adjustable straights in that pile of razors? ;)

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That's exactly the reason I went with the weekly approach and I am finding it works really well with the brushes and soaps but not as well with the razors.

12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Either last year or the year before, I tried to say straights were the ultimate adjustable, because you could adjust the edge, angle, and pressure. I don't remember who it was, but someone commented that straights weren't adjustable, that's just how they are. I wasn't going to push it this year...

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll stand with you against the purists. Unity brother

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I just got off a month long Black Beauty focus, and as it is my only adjustable, that won't be my focus this month. My last 'unfocussed' vintage DE is a Canadian ball end Old Type. Using that with different soaps and blades will be my focus this month. Hearing Neal's and others' reviews of its aggression, I will have a '59 Flare Tip as a wing man for days I want a break.

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Speaking of which... Anybody looking to try a classic Gillette Adjustable who already hasn't? I've got a spare Super Adjustable 109 that I've been thinking of trading or PIFing for a while.

16. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

This will be my first 30 day focus. I'm going to go back to my 34C and use it the whole month. I have a bunch of soap samples that I need to try so I'll be breaking those out this month. Just finished a Stirling Bay Rum sample puck I had been using for a little while.

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Is it an X1 date code (1977) by chance?

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

It is what it is. Angle, pressure, stropping, & honing!

19. Screwtape

Should be an interesting month. best of shaves to you with it!

You remind me that I have some old Gillette OC razors in my collection but I have never tried to shave with any of them. Not sure what models they are offhand, but I think one is a Bostonian (?)...

20. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

All I know for sure so far is ill be using my Rockwell 6S and The Veg. Ill decide on everything else before the day is over.