April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Your improved technique was the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

They all say that until the dogs track them down.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  3. BaylorGator

C’mon guys. You’re missing serious olfactory enjoyment here. Put down the protractors and spreadsheets, and let the right side of your brain enjoy the shave too!

4. BaylorGator

Technique makes a lot of “bad” hardware and software really good again. Kind of like how your golf clubs stop messing up your shots once your handicap goes down. (Not that I would know, but I’ve heard this). I think at some point someone on this thread said “technique trumps tools”.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

So far on my journey Arko is a go to soap as it performs so well. I started with TOBS which I found less than perfect. Speick is good but not as good as. Tabac is on the list to try but Arko just works. Horses for courses ... but it works so well for me it’s the standard for performance that others have to beat.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I’d say competence. 30 years ago a young karate student (me) was told this. When you start a punch is just a punch, a kick just a kick. As you progress you acquire techniques, learn their names and you have lots of them. At the end a punch is just a punch. Competence means you stop thinking. I’ve taken the same cycle of learning and applied it to shaving, in time I’ll develop competence and nowt will matter again. Su Ha Ri....three words to live by

7. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 4.24.2018
    Face Shave (24 hrs.) & Head Shave (several days)
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: Omega boar '49
    Soap: Arko
    Razor: Gillette Tech
    Blade: Crystal (1)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's Enhance WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Jeris Musk for Men AS / Cologne

Mrs sdguero has been telling me I've been looking like a hippie the last couple of days, which is her way of telling me I haven't shaved my head for a few days. I forgot how many days it's been but perhaps a week.

I actually struggled with what razor to use today. I finally settled on the pre-war Gillette Tech loaded with a new Crystal blade. FYI Randy, @BaylorGator the Crystal blade is a fine one. I've always liked this blade. The first time I bought 100 blades it was this brand. Granted, I am not familiar with Russian blades but I am with the Israeli blades.

Each time I use this razor I am amazed at what a fine shave it provides. I came close to a BBS on a 2 pass shave on the face with no clean up necessary on my stubborn neck region. The blade easily sliced through several days growth on my scalp, leaving me with a close, comfortable shave.

Have a great day and evening everyone!
    sotd 4.24.2018.jpg

MR41, FaceScraper, NCoxSTL and 13 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Andrew!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Patrick!

10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks John!

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Clint!

Norcalnewb, sdguero, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you Jim!

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Sounds like a couple of great shaves!

14. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Still a winner in my book. :happy036:

PLAla, Linuxguile, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave, photo and report Dan.

PLAla, Linuxguile, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I do have a protractor but right now theres a blade taped onto it ....oops
    But seriously, I'm all about performance and with my sinuses the smell is not a big factor. Its only there for maybe 5-7mins then i rinse it off . As i have to shave my head also im looking to get the job done and shaving my face for 2-3 mins is the only enjoyable part of the job . It could smell like a urinal cake and ive stood in front of those for 2-3 min at a time before . Lol

PLAla, FaceScraper, NCoxSTL and 11 others like this.
  17. BaylorGator

So your response is Nein, Nein, Nein? I get it. German engineering and French impressionism live in different spaces. I just happen to enjoy both. As for your protractor blade setup, I like where this is going...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    PLAla, FaceScraper, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

守 破 離
    • shu (守) "protect", "obey"—traditional wisdom—learning fundamentals, techniques, heuristics, proverbs
    • ha (破) "detach", "digress"—breaking with tradition—detachment from the illusions of self
    • ri (離) "leave", "separate"—transcendence—there are no techniques or proverbs, all moves are natural, becoming one with spirit alone without clinging to forms; transcending the physical
    Sound practice that does apply. I'd even think way back in the early days of The 30 Day Thread someone with similar training influenced how Technique Trumps Tools is taught. Three steps to a Zen Shave.

1) Ride the cap, skin stretch, less pressure.
    2) It's not a cart - no pressure!
    3) Your best comfortable shave; your way.

PLAla, FaceScraper, KenH and 9 others like this.
  19. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Too bad about the reaction to the Rose flavor. At least you know what to avoid.

Cool picture, Jim!

Welcome back home, Clint!

You seem to stay extremely busy, Perry. Glad you still have time to shave.

Enjoy Orlando. The wife and I got to spend some time at Universal Studios a couple of years ago during a business conference. It was great fun!

It just so happens I bought a tube of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Organic Shaving Gel at a discount a couple of months ago. I still have not used it yet. Now I'm not sure I want to. Not only that... but I have a tube of the Burt's Bees as well. Used once.... not too impressed with it. Maybe it's time to mix up all of these questionable creams and see what happens.

Well-done, Montie!

20. montieg

montieg Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm going to try some pre-shave oil with my next shave to see how that helps

Cheers
    Montie

PLAla, NCoxSTL, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.