April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Norcalnewb, Keithmax, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I've got a stick of Arko I haven't warmed up to. Maybe grating it and using it in a tub with this method will help me warm up to it. (Or not.)

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

They might be both Yaqi brushes, but the knot is far from the same. The knot in the Yaqi branded brush feels diminutive to the Stirling. It's not so much the shedding that is turning me off of this brush but rather the way it feels. The Stirling feels dense and has good backbone even though it not prickly at all. The Yaqi feels thin and floppy, it splays more then a boar should, and really has no scrub to it.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Sounds like the way my Semogue Owners Club cherrywood boar brush felt to me: other people absolutely love them, I know @jluc swears by his, but I just couldn't warm up to it. Until I had the smaller boar knot replaced by a heavyduty APShaveCo Tuxedo knot.

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I do like my SOC brushes. I haven't used many brushes though. I have a Parker silver tip badger that is super soft but also very little backbone. I also have a Razorock Plisoft that I don't enjoy using at all. It's likely that if I had more experience with brushes there are plenty out there that I would like more, but right now I'm happy and I'm not going to head down that road. :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I find it loses it's flavor on the bedpost overnight.

7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Good plan! If you enjoy what you already have, then quit while you're ahead or you will end up never satisfied and obsessively seeking a neverending succession of next Great Things.

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Well, I've already gone too far with razors, soaps and aftershaves. I had to draw the line somewhere. :)

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh no! You go ahead and draw a line, I'll color outside the box!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Guys, thanks for the kind words! My Bride and I had a blast today with the kids!

I really need to get some new photo backgrounds. Hopefully soon!

PickledNorthern, RyX, jluc and 8 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Arko April with an Adjustable!

Completed.​

It's almost MAYhem.

:)

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, RyX and 9 others like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Just saying!

:happy108:

:rofl:

NCoxSTL, RyX, jluc and 6 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Did the earth just stand still? It is May 1st and no thread :shocked003:

For Mayhem I will be happy to hold anyones beer as well as provide encouragement :signs136:.

May 1st shave was the second shave with my Koraat 14 2.0. Since today is a day off I was able to have a nice slow deliberate shave where I do what we tell people not to do, chase the baby. The AoS tallow - AdP super lather was super and the edge was smooth and sharp so of course I even through in an extra half pass. It was an epic shave and I celebrated with some clubman. After the gym I will spritz on some Fogère Royal, then a cigar or pipe after getting a massage.

Irritation A+ Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Koraat 14 2.0 double shoulder bellied hollow
    Strop: Herrold Russian leather
    Brush: Rooney best
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: AoS tallow + AdP
    AS: Clubman AS, Aloe Vera
    Scent: Houbigant Fougère Royale
    ID - 1.jpg

14. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Wow, April is over and I am still working on March's challenge with the shavette. Shaves 20-21 were this past week and went well. Getting really good at the chin with the shavette, though I need to work on my offhand as I am just not as good with that side. Still breaking out the Schick E3 for some detailing work, but that causes me more problems then the shavette. No major nicks or weepers with it.

And so tomorrow brings May.

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

So I would put this up there with my favorite razors at this point, and it may be in my top two or three. I only have a handful of modern razors: a DE89, a Phoenix DOC, a Mamba, the Timeless, and the Karve. The Karve is probably the best. It is more efficient than the DE89, DOC, and Mamba and just a bit more aggressive. It is more mild than the Timeless and as efficient. I do also have a Razorock Hawk, which is a bit different, but I think I still prefer the Karve.

16. Norcalnewb

Terrific picture, Jim!

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

First class set up followed by a first class day, Keith- Legendary Scent, Gym, Cigar/Pipe, Massage. Awesome.

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Great description, Jim. I don’t have a ‘post NB’ list per se, but the Karve is checking all the boxes and will get ordered when my self-imposed exile ends.

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Jim!

20. Norcalnewb

Well, you made the NB a lot longer than I ever did. I applaud your self restraint!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.