April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

As MAYhem bears down on us, it strikes me that some here have never known the "joy" of experiencing one of these.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

clint64, jluc, Norcalnewb and 11 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hmmmmmm

PLAla, clint64, jluc and 7 others like this.
  3. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

In retrospect, I don't think the Sayuri counts as a legitimate MAYhem shave. Its blade of the rottenest wholly untempered and almost completely unsharpened steel wouldn't cut melted butter, so even though I had zero experience with shavettes my actual risk of even slightly nicking myself was virtually nil...

PLAla, jluc, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April!!

April 30
    Razor - Qshave (Futur clone) (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

Well, here it is boys and girls. The final shave for Arko Adjustable April! Qshave with the Sharp Star, the Wolf and Arko, two passes, touch ups. I got the baby in the house, no blood, alum just slightly warm in a few places. I'll take that as a fine finish to a fun month.

Thanks to everyone for another great month here! We finished a little below the pace of last April but it was fun, informative, and all in all, another fine month in the old 30DC. What's up next? We all know the answer to that.......MAYhem!!! I'll have the new room open shortly.

April 30 2018.JPG

5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So, ummmmm...what's it worth for me to open the thread? :taunt002:

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

PLAla, clint64, jluc and 7 others like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Sounds like dumpster ballast. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up, at least.

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I still have a Sayuri and the Iroha. Maybe they deserve a second chance this month. My plan is quite uncoordinated by design (if that's possible) so I could confirm our previous opinions on them.

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

Big Red holds up okay.

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

FWIW, and I have used my share of brushes, I would echo your sentiments almost to a T. A good boar, and Semogue can turn them out, is as good a brush as can be bought once they are broken in. The “traditional” badger style of even five years ago, and prior, are as soft as can be, but in my book, just not the performers that “modern” fatter, shorter lofted badgers are. They have their place in one’s collection, but I would never recommend one as a first or second brush. Or really even third. Maybe sixth. Yeah, let’s go with sixth. And I know I am not going to make a lot of friends here, but the Plisson type brushes are completely uninspiring to me. Keeping in mind I own a few of them, so I am allowed to wax prejudice here, I find them uninteresting to look at, and completely uninteresting to shave with. They are fantastic performers, I just find them to be,,,, artificial in form and feel. That said, I commonly recommend them to new shavers. One cann9t argue that they are good lather makers.

PLAla, clint64, jluc and 8 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

I missed the post that talked about you going. Glad you had a blast with them. Somehow I just bet you are a fun grampa to hang with.

[​IMG]

RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

Great pic!

PLAla, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

As one who has migrated heavily to the Plisson types I understand how you feel. Using a natural brush to me takes a bit more skill, certainly some extra time, and provides some uniqueness. It's the speed and consistency of making lather than makes me a synthetic fan. Still, I feel like I'm not always being true to my "vintage guy" image I have of myself when I use them.

RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  15. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I kept my Sayuri, for whatever reason. I don’t think it deserves another chance, unless it is to cut painter’s edging tape. I’m not even sure that would go all that well, and no, I’m not actually being sarcastic.

RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

We always need a beer assistant or two around here during May. Thanks for volunteering. Oh, and just in case peace breaks out over there for real we'll understand if you need a golfing vacation to the DMZ.

Linuxguile, PLAla, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I missed most of MAYhem last year due to my pancreas deciding it needed some hospital time. (It really likes some of those painkillers so I let it drag me along) I did give the Sayuri a try and know what you are speaking of. But I figure I owe it a more determined trial - and without the residual Dilauded masking some of the pain.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Golf?!? I’m going up there and check out his pleasure squad. It’s all in the name of science, I’m sure Fuzzy wants to know if there any chunky redheads.

RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

My bad. Yeah, I'm thinking science is important enough to do some experimenting. And there has to be at least one chunky redhead or else his minions have failed to provide perfection in a pleasure squad. Peace or no peace that sounds like a concentration camp offense to me.

RyX, Linuxguile, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@NCoxSTL
    @PickledNorthern

Synthetics do feel "Synthetic".

They lather like champs!

I recommend them to newbies looking for "my first good brush", and readily concede they lack soul and have little value to the collector/luxury community.

wristwatchb, RyX, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.