April 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2019.

?

Is Arko on the menu for you this month? Or Adjustable?

1. ARKO BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. ADJUSTABLES BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Arko is a part of it but not every shave.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  4. Adjustables sometimes but not every shave.

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  5. What's Arko??

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Adjustable - what??

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Just hand me my cookies and be done with it.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  8. I want extra ice cream on my cookies for ignoring ice cream in the last poll.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. Can't we all just eat cookies and ice cream and get along???

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to Arko Adjustable April 2019!!! What began a couple years ago as just “Arko April” is now expanded to include the use of adjustable razors for those so inclined. So, if you want to play along with the theme you can use Arko, you can use an adjustable or two or three or – use both! Or use none of that and just shave your way! We’re so easy it’s ridiculous…..like our jokes. Well, most of them anyway.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to.
    7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! Arko Adjustable April!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Paul76, 9nein9, Frijolero and 14 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers, aristocrat april for me, and my birthyear slim and f-2 fatboy.. no arko as i don't own any. will continue with spoilers ..but may throw a russian blade in or 2..usual array of soaps ,croaps and creams, aftershaves and cologne..have some new things to try as they show up and a new car or 2 ..hope to see everyone here soon..happy april everyone, gary..

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will do my best to jump in with some two sided and one sided adjustable thingies..I also have plenty of arko.

20190315_211231.jpg

Paul76, Bama Samurai, 9nein9 and 20 others like this.
  4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I rediscovered TWS while living in Turkey.
    I discoveted The Shave Den accidentally snd went out to a Barber Depot and bought a trad razor and some Perma-sharp Super blades, the official blade of Turkish Barbers....Wiyh in a week an Omega Boar brush and Arko stick followed.. Arko was my daily soap for many years...I would be happy to join your Arko April...at least with the soap....except on Wednesdays when I'm spiritually bound to use Williams!

I started yesterday!

Arko Stick
    Vie-long Horse
    OC DAMMY/GEM Blue Star d1
    Skin Bracer
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Paul76, Bama Samurai, 9nein9 and 22 others like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Beautiful razor...and horse brush.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I think I will continue on with my current Rule to complete 30 consecutive shaves rather than days. That will be the first 12 shaves in April. The razor is a Fatboy so I am definitely in for Adjustable April. Arko -- we'll see. I may see instead if I can stand to continue to use The Fat without change or letup until the puck is dead. If I do switch it up a bit during April though, the "relief soap" will be Arko.

My Rule gear:

IMG_20190304_100605.jpg

Paul76, Bama Samurai, 9nein9 and 20 others like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I believe I'm in for a focus on the Focus R21.

20190314_115427.jpg

Having enjoyed my journey with straights almost exclusively for 9 months, I had decided to pick up this "plastic doodad" razor.

"Plastic doodad" is the part that holds the half DE blade in a slight recessed position while guarding the corners. Kind of in a sissified way, but these blades were never really designed to be used outside a thingy blade safety holder anyhow.

To date, I've done about 7 shaves with this. Mostly using one of my faves, the GSB.

The most pleasant surprise for me was how easily this setup severed facial hair. I can certainly understand what shavette aficionados get out of this type of gear.

I diverted to a Lab Blue for a couple of days and was rewarded with a little mark for the Lovely Mrs Headroom to pick on me about. I had gotten a gut feeling that I was getting a little more aggressive in search of that same 'close easy cut' I was experiencing using a GSB.

I plan to do some 'stepping up' and some 'stepping down', so to speak.

I want to learn what it is, what must I do with blades maybe a little more and a little less keen to deliver satisfactory results. Also some evaluation of the sensations telling me when to toss a sharp.

I've heard the term 'ultimate adjustable' used to describe open bladed shaving gear, so I taking this liberty to call it my adjustable.

For those in the wings or dropping in new, it is right here that I learned to practice the principle of 'pick something, and stay with it'. It made sense to me and served me well.

Happy shaves!

Paul76, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 17 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in for Adjustable Arko April. Well, no, not for the whole month. I was thinking A&E Adjustable April but who am I kidding, I won't stick to that either. How about Anything Goes April? Yeah, Anything Goes April! Now that's a plan I can see through! Wish me luck!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will through in some Arko but I am still trying to finish off a tub of Crowne and Crane and it should go down this month. I am still on a year long quest to reduce my soap inventory.

Oh yeah and I will through a few straight razor themes in.

Paul76, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 16 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'm in for Anything Goes April! Looking forward to a fun month. Last month, the thread was a little slow. Hopefully we can pick things up this month. ;)

Paul76, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 16 others like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

For me it'll be simply "Adjustable April". I'll begin a gradual "adjustment" to moving my winter weather products to the back of the den, and bringing forward the spring/summer products. And it will indeed be "gradual", because with regards to weather here in April, it's "Anything Goes", as Doc @Norcalnewb and @jluc said in the posts just above mine. As the month gets close to May, we zero in on the 2020 Stoylin Tony Awards, Nomination #2, event, on May 1.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's what we like about you, Jimbo. You like to buck the system.

Arko? Nope, sorry. That's one of my "never again" soaps. :rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005::rolleyes005:
    Adjustable? Maybe...just maybe, :signs002: I will schlep my 195 with me when I am on the road. Just to quasi-satisfy this month's parameters.
    Straights? That's where Primo's at. :happy036:
    Firmly ensconced in the Dark Side...:signs136:

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well then, let me be the first to wish you a happy Straights April. :)

14. Norcalnewb

It's the start of the New Revolution!

15. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Gonna focus on technique this month with:
    Merkur 34c
    Astra SP and SS when those run out
    B&M Dickens Soap
    Dimestore bought Boar bristle brush
    And the AS of my choice, starting with Proraso red lotion today.

Happy Shaves everyone!

16. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers, having my first april shave early..its basically my monday morning shave as i am an evening shaver, plus i just do things like that. sorry time police..#66 aristocrat,spoiler and the commodore start the festivities,tobs eton college cream and fragrance take care of the slip and scent.. will post the results later on , enjoy your day everyone.. 20190331_084417.jpg

Paul76, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 17 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Great picture and shave, Gary!

Linuxguile, Hembree, jtface and 5 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave with a beautiful razor Gary.

Arko-- No I have no desire.

Adjustable -- Even though I have a birth year Slim....No don't like the way it shaves.

I am with Jim @jluc for Anything Goes April. I will spend a lot of time with the Karve razor this month and continue my effort to finish some soaps.

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great shave and great looking gear, Gary!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

20. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir, welcome to april...:)

thank you sir..and welcome to april..:)

thank you Clint..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.