April 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Bama Samurai, Mar 31, 2020.

?

Is Arko the greatest value in all of shaving?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2020.
  1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Yes

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Generally, April is the true kickoff for Spring...Adjustables and Arko have a long association with April.

I'm Chris, the instigator of the original 30 Day Rule thread. It is a concept started by @GDCarrington, and it is not my original idea. The group is very different now, and much larger, than when we started out five years ago. This is the most amazing corner of any hobby forum. Absolute experts gather here and teach newbies in a place where fun and brotherly love rule the day.@NCoxSTL , the longest serving facilitator, shot this group into the stratosphere and you guys never looked back. Neal's passion and humor shine through, and he has cultivated a true culture of fellowship and knowledge. We owe him a big round of applause for staying the course for so long!

If you have recently converted from cart shaving, thanks for being here. Someone here has the answer to your issue. If fast mastery of a new tool is your goal, the 30 Day Rule is the best way to make it happen.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a gluten free snickerdoodle cookie and meet the crew. It's always ok to bring ice cream too.

Rules remain the same.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. Ok, ok…you’re not old. You’re experienced.
    3. Respect everyone and observe The Golden Rule
    4. Follow the rules of the forum at all times
    5. All razor types and styles welcome here
    6. There is no such thing as a stupid question, or a question that has been asked too many times. If you need to know something just ask!
    7. If you want cookies, you know where to find them. We are currently working to restore shipments of Ice Cream from the Ice Cream Collective. Negotiations continue.
    8. If you are completely at a loss to understand the Cartel, Rebellion, etc. etc……know that these all fall under the category of “shenanigans”. It’s just another thing we do.

Rules 3, 4, 5, and 6 are absolute. All are welcome here.

Class photo time....

[​IMG]

Jake Gibson, MrEE, McCrae and 10 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I voted yes for Arko but I have to say it is a tie with the Omega Pro brush.

Not sure what focus I will have this month but I do want to finish my tub of Stirling BOS.

First shave of the month. This Damascus PRC blade was a little below par so I took it too the Dovo red-black pastes. A little better, it can definitely shave but I wish it was touch sharper so back to the stones. A good shave, but short of excellent.

IMG_8481.jpeg

4. Bama Samurai

It's like some Arko fiend rigged that poll.

5. Keithmax

I do like shave sticks for when I am on the road.

6. Keithmax

Ok tomorrow I will go with my puck of Arko and my Omega pro bush....

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

April already?!! Sheesh. Was hoping March would last longer. Although with the world in the condition it's in.....maybe not. Since I still have 10 sticks of Arko, that is no problem for April! And, I have one or two or three or more adjustables. No problem there either. Let's make it a great month!!

8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Ok, it is Adjustable April month! However, I am going to change the name for me as Antique April. That's right, you read it, Antique April for me. It means that I am going to use only vintage razors that includes straights, SE razors and of course, adjustables. So, you can say, I am still doing this month's main theme, but expanding beyond it. Also, until this pandemic ends, I will have a Favorite Friday or a Special Saturday if my no shave day falls on a Friday. On those days, I will choose one or more items that I really enjoy. It could be a favorite razor, soap, etc. It also gives my shavette shaving a rest. Tim, Patrick and Charlie did a great job on shavette shaving last month, so there's no need for me to follow them on their journey. I am sorry, I got off track. It's going to be a great month! Let's do it!

9. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Fantastic set up, Keith--I love the look of Damascus steel, and though I've said it before, that's a classy brush, sir! :D

clint64, Norcalnewb, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  10. timabababaluka

Excellent info, Chris. I have each of my soaps in stick form; however, I've taken to palm lathering lately just to spend less time working on an overly sensitive face. You make it look super easy, though--I may just go back to face lathering again ;)

11. timabababaluka

For April I see more shavette shaving in my future, although on Sundays I'll take a break in order to get acquainted with the Gillette Slim (Slim Jim) generously PIF'd to me by... well, Jim @Norcalnewb , and to show some solidarity with those of you who are going to be working with adjustable razors. Do you smell it in the air? Smells like... awesome! :D

12. Bama Samurai

I used to think that I had sensitive skin and issues like that.

Actually, I was just ill-suited to cartridge shaves. And, also struggled with the convential wisdom dispensed.

I took scientific method approach (in as much as possible) as the path to shaving.

When I started....

Safety razors beat me up. I over scrubbed my face. I underestimated the effects of hot water on humans similar to me. And I used carts, which cut hair below skin surface.

My face was a wreck.

It made me avoid seeing people when possible.

I just try to help people get better at all this, especially according to their issues.

Now... As seen on video... Bony strange looking face... But decent skin at age 45.

The 30 Day Rule was my key to absolute mastery.

It's not arrogant to say this....

When I shave, all razors are the same.

It's about the blade cutting the hair and absolute precision control.

I know what good steel and good lather feels like against my face.... during the shave. Get it?

Steel on skin.

I hope all the new guys to come are told this.

Learn how to put the steel against the skin.

Then decide what's cool.

It's the more rewarding path.

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hmm, Slim Sundays!

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Arko is the best deal in wetshaving? Only if you exclude Omega Pros and a Palmolive Stick...:happy088: (and enjoy the occasional urinal puck).:innocent

I’m in for another month on the 30 Day Thread, of course, but don’t think I’ll follow along with the suggested focus . I got rid of the last of my Arko, and I only have one adjustable. My Palmolive stick will make some appearances, though, In honour of Chris’s Shave Stick video. I just came off a NEW focus in March, which followed a month of 6 Fave combos in February. I think I’ll shave with razors that didn’t get a turn in the Faves focus or any of the NEWs. Lots of good shavers left still.

Looking forward to another great month with the 30DC!

15. timabababaluka

I like it! :D

Trigger, wristwatchb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Very nice Keith!

17. It's been a while and my hair has grown long:

[​IMG]

I'm going to use my trusty Feather clubman, pro blades and taylor of old bond street. Although this will probably run out and then it'll be Arko.

The irony with lockdown is that online meetings require more shaving as my unshaven state is more visible! However, I have less of a commute (from the living room to my home office) and so shaving time is increased!

Trust you're all keeping well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I'm going to shave this month with a sharp thingy, a soft whatchamacallit, a slippery substance and some smelly stuff!

19. I was always under the impression that keeping the clubman flat against the face (or as near as) was the best way to go, but have come across a few youtube videos where they're almost at 45° angle.

Am I missing something?

Case in point:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Cool video, Chris!

The only problem is... Palmolive shave sticks are unobtanium. Man I loved that stuff. :sick013::sick002:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.