*Archived* GemStar Customs

Discussion in 'Vendor's Corner' started by gssixgun, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I was finally able to dig through the "Box-o-Razors and hit some Antique stores an put up 8 "Beginner Razors" on Monday, IIRC there are still 6 left

All of these razors will always range in price from $45 -$95 depending on Name, and Condition,, I list NO rusty junk, I list nothing with hone wear more the 1mm or so, in fact I target razors to buy with little to no hone wear... Every razor is fully shave ready...

Here is a link to the "For Sale" page at Gemstar Customs

http://gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/razors_for_sale.html

More Barber's hones and more Customs are in the works I just need 2-3 extra hours in each day :happy102:happy102

2. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Besides there always being some DFS (Damn Fine Shavers) listed between $50 and $95 on the Razors for sale page... No rust, no pitting, no cracked scales, and fully shave ready...

This Full Custom Wade & Butcher sets off February...

wnb1.jpg

wnb2.jpg

wnb3.jpg

wnb4.jpg

This is a 6/8 Very Heavy near full wedge, note the shoulder cuts, there is hardly any there at all...
    The blade has been polished to a near perfect mirror but being over 100 years old there are still some very tiny imperfections on there, if you look real hard you can find them...
    The scales are a brand new color I just got in called Gold-n-Ruby with flashes in the Gold that gives it a 3D effect in the hand... All new bearing washers, pins, and stacked lock washers hold it together with a black acrylic wedge...
    You don't find them this close to being a true wedge often, so if you like the Heavy Sheffielders this is a razor for you...

www.Gemstarcustoms.com
    Thanks for looking...

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Superb Restoration Glen. That is going to make someone very happy!

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Looks nice.

I like that scale material.

Good job.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Looks good Glen, another thumbs up.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet indeed! :happy088:happy088

You're making it very hard for me to wait until May (my birthday) when I plan to send you another blade to restore. :D

7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I have loaded up the "For Sale" page again on the website

Please take a look if you need a razor or a Barber's Hone

http://gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/for-sale.html

This one is the "Custom of the Month"

This is a 6/8 Full Hollow Grind razor stamped "Reliance" Trade Mark on the front the back side of the tang reads WH Compton Co. Newark NJ USA and Germany.. The scales are Cocobolo and I have been saving this set for a special blade, as the front side is showing two eye whorls and the rear has one... The finish is done with CA and I used an unbelievable number of coats so it is very protective.. The wedge is Amber recon, pins are brass...The Spike Point blade is near perfect, showing no hone wear, and a smooth satin finish.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Reliance.jpg

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

wow that is a very beautiful razor you got there.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Fan.Dam.Tastic! As usual Glen!

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Updates for March !!!

Added to the website ...

DFS razors there are 4 available right now..

Damn Fine Shavers are always between $45 and $95 they have no rust , no pitting, no patina, they always have near perfect satin finishes... They are chosen for having near zero hone wear... All scales have been cleaned and polished in and out... All razors sold from Gemstar Customs are Fully Shave Ready...

This series of razors are designed for someone starting out, that wants a near mint vintage razor to shave with, and doesn't want to take a chance with E-bay or other unknown sources...

Blue Steel Peoria.jpg

Blue Steel Portland.jpg

Kinfolks.jpg

Hetees.jpg

There is a new custom listed today also, this is a Full Vintage Restore in Ivory scales
    A Sheffield near wedge...

Warranted.jpg

005.jpg

VR Warranted SS.jpg

11. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Two more Customs added to the website

This is a 5/8 George Wostenholm Full Concave razor. This razor has been completely rebuilt and the Streaked Buffalo Horn scales were custom fit to it..The razor has a minor amount of hone wear, and there is still one spot of pitting on blade face... The horn scales were finished to a 12,000 grit Micromesh then polished, they simply gleam in the hand...

Razor is honed up, finished on a Select Grade Coticule, stropped and ready to shave....

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

Wostenholm Pipe.jpg

Another full custom restore going on the website...

Made in Germany a W. H. Morley *Clover Brand* 5/8 spike point
    Decked out in a brand new color acrylic Cookies n Cream...

The steel is near perfect satin showing no visible hone wear and the stamps are clear and crisp..
    These Clovers are silk on a stick when it comes to shaving, so if you are looking for a full hollow ground razor to add to your collection go look at the website for a price...

IMG_1861.jpg

Acrylic Cookies n Cream.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

W H Morley.jpg

12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Guys I have been keeping some lower priced razors up on the website, always priced between $50 -$95... I try and put only what I refer to as DFS (Damn Fine Shavers) up there... They have NO rust inside or out, the scales are near perfect, and they are honed to shave ready...

Of course there are some Customs up there too...

But this one I just put up is a near perfect Beginner's razor

http://gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/for-sale.html

Look at #128

Make: Trenton Razor Co.
    Name:

Size: 5/8

Point: Round

Grind: 1/2 Hollow

This razor has no visible hone wear, no rust, just bright shiny steel
    I have taken this one completely apart and cleaned the razor in and out...
    This one is a near perfect starter razor the Round Point at least makes you feel safer The 1/2 hollow will give a bit stiffer feel for those first tentative shaving strokes...
    This razor was finished to a buttery smooth feeling edge on the German Thuringen in the pic....

Trenton Razor Co.jpg

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Great razors. I am shocked they aren't sold out! I mean the prices are low considering what one see's from other restorers, customizers. Must be the economic times I guess.

14. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Just up on the Website today

Tuckmar - Full Custom in Thuya Burl...

This is a true 11/16 Full Hollow grind Spike point Tuckmar Razor made in Germany of the Finest Silver Steel.... This razor has been completely customized with Thuya Burl scales finished with multiple coats of Super Glue and polished to a liquid glass. The wedge is Recon Amber and it is all pinned with Nickel Silver pins and Bi-metal washers.... The steel is a near perfect satin glow finish, with clear crisp stamps and no visible hone wear.... Tuckmar razors will take a super fine edge and hold it smoothly... I would call the steel on this razor NOS as I don't think it has been honed, and if it has you sure can't tell... There are no blemishes on it either, I will wait for the new owners decision on the honing...
    Original Box in fair shape included

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

pricing info and order info here

15. NoahG

NoahG Member

she's purdy!

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another beauty there, Glen!

17. NoahG

NoahG Member

I'll have to have a resto by Glen some day. Every time I go to his site, I start to drool over all the pretties.

18. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Noah you need to try and make it to the Spokane meet up on Sept 25th :D it is gonna be even bigger this year

And TY all for the compliments gents...

19. NoahG

NoahG Member

There's a (semi) local meet? Sweet, I could do Spokane definitely! What are the details, if any yet?

20. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    So I bought this set on a whim and finally got around to fixing them both up

Before

Shapleigh before.jpg

The Razor:
    A Celluloid Tortoise Shapleigh Hardware Co. No. S5 11/16 razor that has been completely restored, there is no visible hone wear, nor was there before I shined her back up, the razor was completely torn down, cleaned, polished, and even the gold in the name was replaced... Honed to shaving perfection on my Nakayama Midori stone... These are probably the best known name of the "Hardware Brands" of razors...

The Brush:
    I don't know :rolleyes:
    I refinished the wood (Walnut I think) cleaned the White turned part, ripped out the old knot then re-drilled it and fit a 22mm Super Silvertip overstuffed knot in that I got from the Golden Nib.... I set the loft at 52mm so it should have plenty of backbone too, overall, length is 132mm (5 and 3/8 in)

Here are the pics,,, it is on the "For Sale" page on my website...

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

Shapleigh Razor set.jpg

Thanks for looking