*Archived* GemStar Customs

Discussion in 'Vendor's Corner' started by gssixgun, Jun 22, 2009.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

The sign above your shop door should read, "Gemstar Customs: Turning chicken sh1t into chicken salad since I began."

Another fine example of you doing what you do Glen. Really nice man, really nice. :happy088

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

More fine work, Glen. :happy088:happy088

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Rooty Tooty Fresh And Frooty!

4. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Very Nice - I love to see your work!

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    It has been awhile since I have had new razors and items up on the website but you need to go look..
    http://gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/for-sale.html

New and exciting changes !!!

Antler Brushes will be available on a limited basis as I have time to make them, here are the first two I made [​IMG]

Also I just picked up almost 70 lbs of Bison leg bones yesterday to work into scales, if you are interested please contact me on the website so I have an idea of how much I need to start processing...

There will be some DFS razors coming soon on there priced between $45- $95...
    I am trying hard to get more Barber's hones up but the ones in good shape are "tuff" to come by..

Also I am thinning out some my personal razors, so there will be some of those appearing for the next few months [​IMG]

Here are some pics for fun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

battle.munky, swarden43 and alpla444 like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Glen, WOW. Simply WOW! :happy096:

gssixgun likes this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful!

gssixgun likes this.
  8. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    The cleaning process begins !!!!

The Bison bones have been put into the first part of the process to make them into scales...

Thought ya'll might be interested on how it all starts off [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep every one around this house helps out :taunt002:

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It's a win win for everyone...except the Bison!

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    So are there particular animals' bones that are better than others for such things as scales?

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Beautiful work Glen, as always, and I find it even more incredible since this isn't your day job.

12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Top job, well done, The puma looks really nice. i do like the blue scales and the shape of the 2nd razor though very stylish.

13. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Somewhat, the thickness of the bone itself can be a limiting factor unless you are willing to use a backing material, Camel and Giraffe are popular because of the pattern they can have.. I used Elk before and really liked that, Cow of course is good as well as Buffalo and Bison... I am after Moose this year if I can get the Game processing guys to call me :)

I'll cut the big joints off, of these, then process the flatter parts of the bone this weekend, If I am lucky I will get 4 -6 actual Blanks out of each bone...

14. swarden43

Bee-u-tee-full! Well done, Glen.
    Love the shot of the pups.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:signs011:

16. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Gemstar Customs Razor For Sale Page !!!

I am going to be putting up about 10-15 razors in the next two weeks or so, many are full vintage restores and very sought after names...

This Dubl Duck Wonderedge is the next razor up.. read all about it on the "For Sale" page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    October Deals at Gemstar Customs

I just put up a few more razors on the for sale page For Sale - Gem Star Customs Go take a look when you get some time..

The Dubl Duck is about as perfect as they come a 6/8 Special #1 here are more pics of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a better shot of the Tang and Spine I re-blued [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. swarden43

Another great job, Glen!

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Acrylic Midnight Blue is oh so very nice!!!

20. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    This is going to fill up rather fast as I have every intention of offering not only these Customs but also I have quite a few of the DFS razors that will be presented between $45 and $95...
    I will just add the razors as they finish up but please check back especially on Sundays and Tuesdays as those are my days off work, so I spend them in the shop...

http://gemstarcustoms.com/index.php/for-sale.html

Full Custom Set: #42

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7/8 inch wide, Square point Solingen steel imported to Providence RI for Ernest Hunold this is a "Hunoldine" Razor that has been completely customized...
    Amber and Brass accents this entire set, the Brush handle was turned by my good friend Griz/WillN to resemble the old Eveready style in Olivewood... While Will turned the handle I built the scales from the other side of the Olivewood..
    The razor was lightly polished to a near perfect mirror then the spine and tang were blued, I decided on the Brass and Amber theme after I saw the brush handle and the scales together... I used a piece of .010 brush finished brass on the bottom of the handle then added a piece of recon Amber on that..
    The scales got a matching theme with a Amber wedge lined with .005 brass.. The scales also have a decorated Brass center spacer and Brass Conchos, all pins and washers in and out are also Brass...
    The Brush and Scales are finished in multiple coats of Teak oil, The razor will be made shave ready on the stones/hones of choice for the new owner, at no charge...

The brush is a 24mm Low Loft Overstuffed Silvertip, it makes for a brush with the soft feel of the Silvertip badger hair but with a bit of backbone...

Full Custom Razor #43

This is an HMC Cutlery Co. razor it is stamped "The Bossing Razor" It is also stamped Providence but HMC is out of Boston..The razor has the Hammer stamp on the tail and is stamped "Hand Made" on the back side... These markings normally designate a hand forged blade... Size wise I am calling it a 6/8 minus as it is just a smidgen under 6/8 and has the slightly heavier spine of a 6/8 razor.. The tang is polished to a satin finish and the blade is a near perfect mirror...

The scales are Amber Flame acrylic with and Amber wedge all the pins and washers in and out are Brass, the razor shows no visible hone wear and will be sent home shave ready on the stone/hone of the new owners choosing... This is a beautiful example of American Steel...

IMG_2626.JPG HMC Bossing Razor.JPG IMG_2628.JPG

Griz, tomnat and battle.munky like this.