Are Fatboy's Worth......

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Dec 28, 2022.

1. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I will see if she still has it when I am there next. Honestly I was there looking for something else...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

absolutely.:):eatdrink047:.. cool razors,wilkinson sets are cool as well.
    look at what brit fb techs go for today..there are a few folks here that have them now.and rfb'sbrit aristocrats and populars were always expensive.:)

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I'll say no at this time. Got 1 the other day and another on the way.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Nice stapler!
    I’ve got one good older one but it’s only from the 70’s.

Your comment about your stapler reminded me of my early 20th century Challenge eyelet press. Works great but not worth anything.

I also have two excellent condition FatBoy’s (with cases) that I picked up for 10 bucks each. Just strolling through a shop with more craft items than antiques and one of the vendors had them with her stuff and obviously didn’t know what they sell for elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    1_Irqbz57ypBnuGTuqmbkBXw.jpeg

John Beeman likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'd ask what you think of it, but since you ordered another after getting one, that kind of answers the question. :)

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’m not sure that’s the kind of prayer God is listening for but I will tell you that I didn’t find my 10 dollar minty FatBoys until after I’d given away two other FatBoys for free.
    Try some sacrificial giving and see if that brings the eye of favor to gaze upon you.

gorgo2 and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Well my brother-in-law is a razor collector too, and suffers from depression and suicidal thoughts. I don't think that is how I want to end up with an add-on Fatboy to my collection.

I'm pretty much over RAD anyways, but wouldn't say no if something cool fell into my lap.

John Beeman and gorgo2 like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool.i have seen a fatboy or 2 recently at antique shops in the $40-50 range,though no cases.,razors in good shape.i chose the super 84 out of the bunch as i hadn't tried one before..i passed along both of my fatboys some time ago as i preferred my slim adjustable shave wise..i bought the stapler 10 years ago for office/waiting area of my auto repair shop.found 5 boxes of staples from the original Markwell factory as they still had nos original stock for it.only fits this stapler apparently.boxes are date stamped 1947-8.works excellent.:):eatdrink047:

John Beeman likes this.
  10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

The jury is still out on the 1st one. Getting the other to compare.

11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I’ve passed on a good looking Fatboy for $25 at a local antique mall for the past two weeks. Might have to go pull the trigger on it tomorrow. But I must say that I recall being underwhelmed by the shaves I got from the one I purchased about 7 years ago and gifted to one of my sons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. brit

brit in a box

to be honest i think if i were to get another fatboy i would search out a caseless executive.i have seen the odd one around in nice shape,though pricy..i like the slim type knurling.:)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

For what it's worth...I've had several Fatboys and honestly, there's nothing special about the shave. Clunky, overly large for no apparent reason...but it was well made. I have a Hone SS razor that's quite large and heavy but it shaves really well and is fun to use.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Fatboy is positively svelte and petite when compared to a Rockwell Model T. The Gillette Slim is the better razor of the two, but I still prefer the look and feel of the Fatboy better.

DaltonGang, twhite and brit like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Fatboys are definitely overhyped. With that said if you have to have one to use keep away from the $100+ collector pieces and buy one without a case. Nothing special about the shave with one of them and you can get close to the same experience with a Slim adjustable for less money spent. Frankly the best of the adjustables are the Super 109 and 84 black handle versions, they also tend to be overpriced too unfortunately.

brit likes this.
  16. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

revisiting this thread...... although not a Fatboy 195, discussing the concept of "worth it" came up. I submit the following thumbnail-13.jpg

brit and Herm2502 like this.
  17. BillyP

BillyP New Member

Wow!!

brit likes this.