are shaving brush stands important?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Slow Joe, May 7, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very nice work, Ed! :happy088:

2. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

While a stand most likely is not mandatory, I prefer to use stands. I believe I have been blessed with a talent of woodworking and I like to put that talent to use. I built this stand specifically for my Barbear Classico brushes. It is constructed of "live edge" walnut. "Live edge" refers to the bark that is left on the edge of the stand. It is functional - allows me to hang the brushes and provides easy, compact storage. Also, I work left to right rotating shaves. I am building a similar stand to hang a Semogue 2010 (Pure), a 2020 (Best), and a 2015 (Silvertip) using reclaimed wormy chestnut barn wood. It is kinda, sorta what one prefers. (Note: I some how deleted a post and had to repost. I apologize for any inconvenience...Ed)

BC Stand_a.jpg
    BC Stand_b.jpg

3. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Beautiful work :happy088:

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Absolutely beautiful Ed.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  5. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Beautiful work Ed! I love the Black Walnut super rich looking and the "live Edge" is MONEY! :signs107:

6. Wes Murphy

Wes Murphy Well-Known Member

When I made my brush handle and stand, I put silver magnets in the handle and center of the stand. I use to store the brush upright on the stand, but for some reason I've hanging the brush to the bottom of the medicine chest. Works out well either way.

7. boxerman

boxerman Active Member

Wow nice brush stand.

8. William232

William232 Active Member

Very impressive stand there Ed. I salute you.

So about the original question about stands.... I'd say its how you define "important". If its important to have a stand to dry a brush then no. I'm new to the wonderful world of the wet shave. But from what I've seen, there's plenty of guys who've been at this for many a year, and don't always insist on a stand.
    If you want something like we've seen here with some woodworking skill that will make for a spectacular visual display....
    I think we have an answer.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Now see we can discuss the technical issues and the pros and cons of hanging brushes versus not hanging brushes, but Ed puts it all clearly into perspective as to why they should be used!

Great work Ed! :cool:

10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

These are your brushes, and you can treat them however you wish. For me, I like a more thorough method of drying the bristles. That's why I use the 1mm towlettes instead of the larger 1 cm (10 mm). ;)

burnout961 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  11. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Good info! I still may buy a stand just to unclutter my sink area but good to know its not crucial..

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  12. I have been told on this forum, that there is no need to hang them and that makes perfect sense. However, yesterday I got my second brush in the mail, a tweezerman, and it specifically states on the package to hang it or lay it on it's side, do NOT stand it on the handle. So now... I'm like...Hmmm??? oh well, I don't own a stand nor am I likely to buy one so I guess I'll find out. :scared011::scared011::D

13. EPIC!!! :happy096:

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Loving your stands. Shame I don't your woodworking talents . I love the edge on it I have never seen anything like that before.

15. LookingGlass

Thanks for all of the kind comments. :) To hang or not to hang is the user's choice. Along as you shake them out good and store in open air I do not believe you will encounter any problems.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Slow Joe

I have been thinking the same thing, that I haven't come across anyone saying that their brush has gone rotten because they didn't hang their brushes.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. Slow Joe

So it would seem that hanging the brush makes no difference to the lifespan of the brush, but what about keeping the brush clean? I notice that their is soap residue that gathers at the bottom of the bristles and takes quite an effort to remove. Would hanging the brushes make any difference. Do people who hang their brushes still get soap residue at the bottom of their brushes?

18. LookingGlass

I do not get soap residue on the bottom of my brushes and I hang all of them that are in the active rotation. However, I do not know if hanging them makes any difference. Perhaps more experienced shavers can give you more objective advice.

19. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Dollar towlette club?

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  20. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I've got one too and have seen those instructions. My only conclusion is these are so cheaply made, hanging permits the water to not sit in the knots glue and handle - which could loosen the hairs (mine sheds worse than a collie in the summertime) or water damage the handle (somehow I doubt it's sealed inside the knot) causing it to crack. However these are so small, they seem to dry pretty fast. I have noticed though it dries in < 24 hours when hung and in < 48 hours when set on its handle.

Personally I think they should be hung, and think the handles are flat so you don't have to lay your brush on its side between passes for those that face lather. Flat bottomed handles are also likely more cost effective to produce and result in less material waste in mass where every inch of material and man hour counts.