Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I do use synthetic for reasons I've stated before, but that said, I do enjoy my boar brushes. As for Badger I can't give a fair opinion yet. I have 3 lower quality badgers and need one of superior quality to form a reasonable and fair opinion.

clint64 likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have 1 Synthetic, 1 Boar, 1 Boar/Badger mix and 9 Badgers...I like them all, but I have to admit that my favorites are the Badgers. :)

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes. If you're looking for one brush.

4. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Well based on some of the pictures I've seen on here, of folks who are obsessed by purchasing brushes and creams and razors and so forth, yes, I only really need one.

Having a back up is valuable and that's the reason why I recently bought a second razor. It was just to have a back up.

I suppose I will probably at some point by another brush as a back up, but I'm not going to fill shelves with 30 or more of each – That's just plain "nuts," (forgive me ye collectors) in my opinion!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nuts? I like nuts.
    Peanuts. Almonds. Walnuts. Pecans. All kinds o' nuts.

ninjack, BigMark83 and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

That's what I used to tell myself, too... ;)

7. Bama Samurai

A synthetic offers performance in a low price range that is unmatched. Some people collect brushes, but I took your question from the practical use standpoint. You can't put $25-$50 into anything that will come close to synthetics.

8. Bama Samurai

I have one boar from newbie, two synthetics and a super Badger. I am a pragmatist, and use the synthetics all the time.

9. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I think synthetics are just a different experience than a boar; badger or horse. Each have their own characteristics and I enjoy them all. I would say that I have purchased a Switchback 400 and the Duro knot is really wonderful. It's the synthetic I like the most, so far.

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Terms like "obsessed" and "nuts" don't make a guy any friends at any hobbyist or collector forum, regardless of the topic.

Nuts is spending money on stamps you can't mail. Or tea cups you don't touch, or, ooh ooh wait: little spoons that you don't even use to stir sugar cubes into your tea cups you don't use...... Or wait.... Am I being judgy?

You asked an honest question, and have been getting honest answers, even from some of the obsessed nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Both work fine for me, but I prefer the way a good badger feels, and I only have good ones. I'm sure there are bad, cheap ones, too. I haven't been able to realize some of the advantages of synths that other guys have: I am using the same amount of soap with both, and I don't get a better lather with either one. One thing that is for sure is that synthetics dry much faster, but I now have six badgers and a synth, so they all get plenty of drying time in between uses.

stuartganis likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I like using a variety of brushes in rotation. Is any one style 'best'? Depends upon what characteristics one likes & seeks in a brush.
    If I had to use only ONE type of brush (how sad!), it'd probably be a boar brush as I do favor a stiffer brush, all things being equal.

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've had my H.I.S. synthetic for at least 3 years, and has been used virtually every day since purchased. No loss of bristles, and they are as good as ever. I have never had a high end badger, and really don't see the need. My synthetic is vastly superior to any boar. Want to lather up some Williams? No problem for the H.I.S., with no overnight soaking.

14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I have found the opposite to be true, but that may be partially due to the fact that I face lather.

Enrico likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:
    I've been using synthetics almost exclusively for the past 10 months with no troubles lathering.

BamaT likes this.
  16. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I suppose the "animal rights" folks might have something to say about natural animal hair items for humans, but it's kinda like the old joke about a farmer who was once asked about his three-legged pig; to which he responded, "I only eat a good pig like THAT, a little at a time!!!"

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Then your in the right place.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

oscar11 and swarden43 like this.
  18. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I suppose I should ask this question then, how long will a boar brush last before I have to replace it?

Depends????

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There are many vintage boar hair brushes that have been around for 75 years+ and still functioning. If cared for properly, a well-made brush will provide a lifetime of service.
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz017.jpg

BigMark83, BamaT and dbersh like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. I have several vintage brushes with original knots, boar and badger. They still work so I still use 'em.