Aristocrat, Sheraton, & Senator: Gillette's TTO Open Comb Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol

PLANofMAN, brit and jmudrick like this.
  2. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Just in from Back Roads Gold. Looks really nice in person, much more depth to the color. She cleaned up real nice. Looking forward to the (second) maiden shave. Outstanding result for an 80 year old razor. Great work by BRG!
    Sheraton 24k.jpg

PLANofMAN, BigMark83, gorgo2 and 9 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

looks awesome..

Number six and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Thanks. Still waiting for the first shave... I hate to get it wet!
    [​IMG]

Chuck Naill, brit and Linuxguile like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Proof the Sheraton was still being sold in 40 and Senator in 40 and 41 even though I would say they discontinued the Senator by Dec of 1940.

First ad is for the Sheraton this one is from the Daily Messenger June 19th, 1940. Which Aristocrat they are referring to is uncertain. Also notice the price for the Sheraton and in the main 1pc razors except for the Aristocrat almost always sold for around a $1.
    Sher_Jun_40.jpg

Next up is the Senator first ad on the left is from The Anniston Star May 30th 1940 a
    ad on the right is from The Evening Review Dec. 12th 1940
    notice the price drop.
    Sen_May_40_a.jpg Sen_Dec_40_b.jpg

Finally here is an ad from the Missoulian Oct 14th 1941 for a the Senator still being sold at the same discounted price while other 1pc razors like the Ranger are at about $1.
    Sen_Oct_41_c.jpg

I think we can conclude they were not only selling but manufacturing both the Senator and Sheraton for at least part of 1940.

Here are the full page ads.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Love these old ads!!

brit likes this.
  7. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Does a re-plated senator in Rhodium increase value to lose value? Is a aristocrat worth the extra cost over a Sheraton or Senator? I’m going to bid on one of these just trying to decide which one I should go for. Any help would be appreciated.

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb you are going to spend more on a razor that has been re plated than not especially if the seller has $ invested in that re plate.

Also it depends the Aristocrat.

brit likes this.
  9. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

The Aristocrat I’m talking about is the same kind as the Sheraton and Senator. Are you just talking about condition?

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There are 3 types of Aristocrats that are open comb like the Sheraton and Senator. RTFT a page or so back first. The short answer without knowing is open comb Aristocrats sell in a pretty well defined range regardless or variant, condition or with/without cases on a certain auction site. Go check their sold listing for the razors and you'll get an idea what you will wind up paying when fairly priced and such.

brit likes this.
  11. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I understand stand n I’m limited on which OC Aristocrat due to price on Ebay. I was looking at buying the senator replated for $110-120. Just making sure I’m not wasting my money

Zed117 and brit like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You shouldn't pay $$$ for a Senator or Sheraton unless they are mint condition collector pieces with the originally packaging or if you want a restored razor and don't care about paying the premium for it. User grades ones can be had at half if not more the price you are looking at depending the condition.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  13. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Rgr that thank you

brit likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Picture that should be posted here.
    These are all the style razors I know they produced between 34 - 40 photographed together.

GOC6.jpg

Dates are approximate

1. 34 - 35 Aristocrat
    2. 36 - 37 Aristocrat
    3. 38 - 40 Aristocrat
    4. 37 - 38 Sheraton
    5. 38 - 40 Sheraton
    6. 38 - 40 Senator

15. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I wished I had a collection that looked like that

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  16. ItalianShaver77

ItalianShaver77 New Member

Good Day to all Gents!
    sorry to shake an old thread like this - but I'm sure you're familiar with it happening when a fella gets an antique store find.
    I read on the price tag "1938 Gillette", It looks like a Sheraton/Senator, from the OC TTO doors, but I want as detailed a timeline pinpoint on this as I can get - so I don't misrepresent it. I'm gambling the guess, against my better interests, but more closely a better judgement - that I grabbed a '39 Senator - Why? - It's not riveted doors it's "strapped" doors. My question, more specifically is, what's my year, and what's the model to the mechanism design?
    I'm not ignorant of the fact that we've all learned that Gillette has used spare parts from one year in next year's models, or in the lesser price-point models of the same year - for economical reasons of manufacture. I can accept that. I can accept that it may be a Gillette factory Franken-razor. Still. I'd love to know those finite points.
    [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

See my post here
    Which one of the 6 does it look like.

If it is not riveted it is either razor 3, 5 or 6.

If it looks like 5 or 6 the way to distinguish for sure besides the plating is by the screw in the handle.
    Here is what the screws look like

Razors 4 and 5
    sherb.jpg

Razor 6
    senb.jpg

ItalianShaver77 and brit like this.
  18. ItalianShaver77

ItalianShaver77 New Member

From the standup profile pic, it's going to be a#5, same thing with the bottom screw. I don't know why, but I want it to be a 1938, in a crazy way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There is nothing wrong with posting in a model specific thread, no matter how old it is.

ItalianShaver77 and brit like this.
  20. Cearball

Cearball Member

When you say the Sheraton had three different heads do you mean the original 37 sheraton has the same head as the flatter profile 34 us aristocrat?

Or are we just talking about the hinge assembly mainly?

The photos don't work anymore.

Thanks

PLANofMAN likes this.