ARKO appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Jan 24, 2014.

1. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I think it's outstanding, and I like the scent.

Omelmad and Darkbulb like this.
  2. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

My brother just sent me a stick the other day when he returned my razor. I used it today mashed it into an old tobs tub. Is there a trick my first pass was pretty good but the second the lather got thin and dry. More product? Other than that I like it smells soapy not at all like a toilet deodorizer

Omelmad likes this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I can't help you. I've had trouble with it too.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

I finally purchased my first stick of Arko from Merz Apothecary in Chicago. I just test-lathered it...and WOW! This stuff just explodes into lathery goodness. I am truly impressed with this stuff- especially at only $1.49/stick. I may just have to pick one up every time I frequent Downtown Chicago from now on. I'm looking forward to shaving with this.

I know a lot of people can't stand the scent of Arko. Here are my thoughts on the scent: It reminds me a lot of Williams Mug Soap- Fresh, lemony, and clean. It's nothing fancy or great, but not bad either. For as cheap as it is, I am not expecting a wonderful scent. Also, most shaving soap scents do not linger on your face anyway; and the vast majority of us wet-shavers promptly apply some sort of after shave right after shaving. So, the scent is a non-factor for me. While I do enjoy soaps that smell great, in the end, it really comes down to performance for me. And Arko seems like it's going to excel in the performance category.

Omelmad and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I love Arko. It is a magnificent soap and last time I used it the scent reminded me of summers and vacations.
    And no, I do not spend my summers in the public lavatory. I can not explain it. But after two years in an IKEA tin can the scent might have changed for the better :)

Lovely soap nonetheless

tuxxdk likes this.
  6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

what is MWF?

7. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Mitchell's Wool Fat.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I tried to use it twice. no dice for arko.
    I donated my stick to the box tour.
    sorry no love for arko

9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Since starting to use it a while back I find myself reaching for it almost every day now.

tuxxdk, RaZorBurn123 and Omaney like this.