Arko vs. La Toja

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 9, 2016.

1. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Not at all.

Spyder, PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  2. GatorJoe

Pet peeve of mine too. Proraso Green does that so I just wipe the razor down after use. I still like the Proraso Green though.

Spyder, Robyflexx and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. GatorJoe

Deal!

Spyder and Robyflexx like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yeah, me too. To various degrees, it seems like all of the non artisan, traditional soaps/creams do. My entire life is a messy chaos, and there are two very small places in my life where I am sort of obsessive about things. My gunsafe, and my shave cabinet.

I clean my razors after every shave anyway, but that damn white film is always staring at me. Between the teeth of open combs, inside the doors of TTO's, the base of my brushes where the knot meets the handle..... So I think I have everything clean, and a half hour later, white crap is dried on it. So I get a toothbrush out, and do it over. A half hour later things are dry, and the stain is on something else. It is like Ebola. [RANT OFF].

I agree with you on the Proraso. At least the Proraso Red. I would scrub a ton of crud before I would give up that sandalwood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :rolleyes005:

RyX, NCoxSTL, opsimath and 3 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I was planning on using La Toja Monday too. Even before reading this thread! I like La Toja and Arko pretty equally. Performance wise they are a dead heat to me. I think Arko tips the scales with price though as you can get twice as much Arko for the same price as a stick of La Toja. As a side note I wish I could get La Toja in a tub so I wouldn't have to grate it into a bowl.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NCoxSTL, GatorJoe and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Then you're joining us Monday! :happy036: You can get the shave cream tube on sale here

NCoxSTL and GatorJoe like this.
  8. ChinChopper

ChinChopper Member

Now I want to order both so I can participate in this conversation

RyX, Paul6506, NCoxSTL and 1 other person like this.
  9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

They are both cheap. Shipping is usually more then the soap. Arko, bought in 12 packs, is about $1 a stick.

NCoxSTL and Robyflexx like this.
  10. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I dig the veg, but as I said earlier in this thread, I'm a scent floozy -- they just gotta wink at me! My wife contends both that Lilac Vegetal smells nothing like lilacs in bloom, and that it pleases her not -- I don't wear it much, as a consequence.

NCoxSTL and Robyflexx like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well better than "sort of like purple". But not much. LOL

opsimath likes this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Excellent experiment and thanks for doing that. Interesting that the alum was quieter on the Arko side. Soaps definitely have an effect on irritation, or the lack thereof, so in this case it would appear the Arko protected better. Now, this was a one-time trial so I know no statistical certainties are even close to happening, but still quite an interesting bit.

opsimath and Paul6506 like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That may be the quote of the day so far. :eatdrink047:

opsimath likes this.
  14. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I just ordered this:
    arko.jpg

a bit more expensive than the stick ... 2,50 € for the 90g tub, the stick is 1,50 € for 75g

PickledNorthern, opsimath and NCoxSTL like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have one of those plus a stick on order. SWMBO uses the puck, I use the stick.

opsimath and Marverel like this.
  16. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I'm really curious about the Arko ... at the moment La Toja is one of my favorites. It is an absolute winner in terms of price vs. performance. No problems whatsoever with lathering, very good slickness and nice post shave feel. And SWMBO loves the scent ;)

Robyflexx and NCoxSTL like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I do enjoy ARKO stick, especially when combined with a dollop of Cremo.
    Haven't tried LaToja, yet. I found the stick for $3.95 plus the same for shipping HERE.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

All this Arko talk makes me want to use mine tomorrow morning. Now the question is should I use the stick or the stick I mashed into a tin?

PLAla and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Rub the stick on your face Mark!
    upload_2016-4-10_15-4-55.jpeg

20. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Arko is a decent soap but La Toja wins in my experience. Performance is better, it has a pleasant scent, and comes in sturdier packaging. Arko is the better value unless you live in Spain and can pick up La Toja at the corner store.

Spyder and Robyflexx like this.