Art of Shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PloDrr, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

AoS hardware has a significant markup, but then again you get to buy in a fancy store.

The AoS tallow soaps are legendary, sadly they changed the formula. I think their creams are excellent. You can find the same quality cream for less but you can also pay more and get worse quality. You look for the cream to go on sale.

Frijolero, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Keithmax likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't used it myself in a little while. Good stuff but the weird pump dispenser.

I tried a sample set of AoS preshave oil, shave cream, & post shave balm, all in lemon. The product performance *for me* was above Meh into very average. I found the scent lesser than what I want. The retail price of the three piece samples was more than a full puck and regular size AS in a "lesser" brand.

Frijolero, Primotenore and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've had enough bad experiences with the pump bottles that I bought a glass pump bottle from the bathroom section of Wal-Mart, peeled the sticker from a KmF pump bottle and stuck it on the glass bottle. I've been using it with no issues for about three years and more than a few refills.

*Always save the pump from your last bottle of Kiss my Face until you test the new one. Out of about 20 bottles I've purchased over the years, I've had about three that refused to pop up when I went to use them.

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've decanted AS, makes sense to do a SC as well. Probably have a suitable glass bottle w/ better pump already. Thanks for the tip Ryan!

PLANofMAN and Frijolero like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

After reading the thread...What they said:)

Bama Samurai and Frijolero like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi! Art of Shaving is overpriced. It's also owned by Gillette and designed to keep you in the cart ecosystem. The products are good, but the selection is limited and you'll do better elsewhere.

8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My take is that Art of Shaving products are top quality in every way. Besides their own products, they also sell Merkur and Muhle safety razors and Dovo straights. That comes with a hefty price tag, however, so their products are not the best value for the money. Art of Shaving is a luxury shaving goods retailer, and high prices and fancy stores are expected. The very upscale British stores - Taylor of Old Bond Street, Truefitt & Hill, Geo. F. Trumper, and D.R. Harris - have similar prices and quality. For some reason, the British brands are widely praised by traditional wetshavers, but Art of Shaving is often slammed. I think that a lot of it has to do with the perception that the British companies are small businesses and AoS is large corporation.

There is a strong anti-big business undercurrent in online shaving communities. It is partly a David vs. Goliath kind of thing, although I think the sentiment is often misplaced. Time and again, I have seen men come into an AoS store looking for a better shave. One person came in looking for relief from razor bumps. Another was visiting from Australia, and made it a point to get a jar of AoS shaving cream. He went on and on about how it was incredible, wonderful and the best he had ever used. There are still many people out there unaware of anything other than canned gel and mass market cartridge razors from the local drugstore or supermarket. Art of Shaving is a gateway to a whole new world for these folks. As you noted, convenience and being able to see the products firsthand is also a big plus.

tl;dr High prices but some of the very best products around

Primotenore, brit, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

brit and Frijolero like this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Its good stuff, just waaaaay overpriced.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Their stuff is about 20% higher priced than equivalent brands, which isn't terrible when you consider thier overhead has got to be way higher than their competition (Italian Barber, Maggards, Amazon, etc.). Mall space rental isn't cheap.

Enrico, Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

True but thats not my problem. Honestly, Id be more than happy to buy their stuff if they would sell it online or in grocery stores for a competitive price. Im not going to pay $30 for a puck of soap when it shouldnt cost any more than $15.

PLANofMAN, Frijolero and wchnu like this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    I could live with the high prices IF they hired knowledgeable sales people. Believe it or not, I tried to get a sales position at the Indianapolis AoS store. I went in, introduced myself to a salesperson, who told me he was leaving (BTW, he had a lumberjack shirt on, scruffy beard and blue jeans. I asked him about a few products and he had some, but not much knowledge and ZERO shaving enthusiasm) and there would be a vacancy. He seemed very interested in me and said that he would gladly inform his manager. She NEVER called me. I repeatedly attempted to secure an interview, to no avail. I finally just showed up and she and I spoke, cordially, and I, very enthusiastically (which I truly was), gave her my pitch. She never got back to me. I love their stores. They are beautiful. I have been back to see them in action. They, compared to the other stores in this VERY upscale mall, have relatively little traffic. I am not sure how much longer they can survive.

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  14. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Logic 101. AOS is owned by Proctor and Gamble. I own P and G stock. Everyone should buy AOS products.

Seriously, that fancy mall charges high rent. The cost gets passed on.

Maggard, West Coast, IB and others offer better prices.

Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

AoS is pricey. That's really the only bad part.

16. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Marshall's had a few 2.5 oz tubes of AoS lemon shaving cream a few months ago for $7.99. I grabbed myself one of those. It is an excellent cream. Not better than so many other excellent creams that I have/had. But worth trying once for sure.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Flash!

I am at the Indianapolis Keystone mall, and the Art of Shaving store is closed. I predicted it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. Michael W

Michael W Active Member

My wife bought me some soap and aftershave balm. I think there was a brush too but I can not find any here with there logo so maybe not.
    It wasn’t cheap, I remember thinking I wouldn’t have bought it myself, I do appreciate though. It smells great. Special shaves only and there has only been one about 2 years ago.
    I thought I had not used it but just thinking back I do remember using it to shave for our anniversary date night around 2 years ago. I don't recall it blowing me away but I'm sure it was awesome (my memory sucks)

5B18F7BD-8FA9-4D1F-A96D-D3D8247AD3AA.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They have a store at the mall here in Baton Rouge. I will have to check and see if it is still there.

Primotenore likes this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just waking up and being able to walk to the bathroom to shave is a special enough event.

Keithmax, Frijolero and Michael W like this.