artisan bath bars

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Hersh, Jul 19, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

ALL tallow bath soaps leave a residue. That's what causes the "squeaky clean feeling". It's not a feeling I like but Stirling bath soap is very low on this feeling compared to Ivory or Irish spring. My guess is the excellent moisturization masks it. If you want no squeak at all use a detergent soap such as Dove.

2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Are there any others that have been tried? Anything other than Stirling? Im curious about Tiki or Cold River maybe...

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

How are your kitchen skills? It's not that hard to make a high quality (and well-scented) Melt & Pour soap yourself. There are a number of us here, who do just that, in order to get precisely the soap we want.

4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Me too. I haven't purchased bath soap for a number of years. I have been using strictly cold process soaps I have made in my kitchen. Making soap is easier than a lot of recipes out there...especially CP or Melt and Pour. Actually, come to think of it, hot process isn't very difficult either. Costs climb though when essential oils and such come into play. Some of that stuff is expensive. I can't say I make soap for the $aving$ though, I just do it because it's kinda neat.

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

With essential oils, the costs do rise, but less so, if you buy them in larger quantities. (At least here in the US- I don't know about other parts of the world.)

BTW, the actual amount of scent per bar isn't that much. I use 1 tsp (5ml.) per 4 oz (114 gm.)

6. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Trader Joes has a 2 pack of 4oz pucks that have as legit and short ingredient lists as Stirling and with Tea tree oil for $1.99

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Mystic Water bath soaps are extremely good and her scents are divine! :)
    Mike's and Cold River also make some lovely bath soaps.

MarshalArtist likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I LOVE Mike's shampoo bars...but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the one bath soap bar I got from him. The scent was very faint and it for some reason didn't last very long at all. But man...his shampoo bars just can't be beat :)

9. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

I'm using a Cold River bath soap in the shower just now, it's a lovely soap leaves my skin feeling good. Larry seems to have removed the listing for them the last time I looked.
    Before using soaps I used the common supermarket shower gels in bottles, these gave me no end of irritation on my legs, leaving very sore feeling.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The overwhelmingly main ingredient after water in these products and most commercial "soaps" is SLS which is an industrial degreaser. The cosmetic industry dilutes it for lather making purposes. But, the main effect is that it strips your skin and hair of natural oils, hence the irritation you get.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Sara-s and 782sirbrian like this.
  11. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Razorock makes bath soaps and now they are the only ones my wife will wash her face with. They come in many flavors and are not very expensive

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I joined Queen Charlotte Body Soap of the Month Club. Two bars sent to my house every month. Great stuff and great fun.

They have a choice between vegan and tallow both with shea butter.

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have used Stirling, QCS and Mikes. All are excellent but Stirling is my favorite over QCS by an tiny margin. Great moisturizing and I don't feel any residue on my skin.

14. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

A question and comment -

For the bar soaps do you use them just as body bars are do you also use them on your face?

I have been using the Peppermint Leaf Bar Soap from Wm. Neumann & Co. They sent me the bar free when I ordered some shave soap. It has a great scent and a scrubbing texture. Leaves my skin feeling good. - At $6.50 though it is a bit pricey.

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Body, face, and hair.

Jostalli likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

All of my "body soaps" contain glycerin & shea butter, so they are great for my face, too.

17. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I use and really like Yardley's - Oatmeal & Almond soap. Its primary ingredient's are sodium tallowate and glycerin. It is very moisturizing and soothing on dry skin. It also gently exfoliates the skin as it contains oatmeal and the scent is a subtle almond. The best part of it is the price at about $1.29/bar. I usually stock up when it's on sale at Wegman's for $0.69/bar! Great soap!

18. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Did you know that most all grocery and big box store "soap" is not soap at all? You'll rarely find one labeled as such because they are actually "syndet" bars (synthetic detergent) bars and not true soap. By law, they cannot be labeled as soap so you'll usually find them tagged as moisture bars, cleansing bars, body bars etc. During production, large manufacturers remove some or all of the natural glycerin that is created during the soap making process (it's a valuable commodity in other markets, especially the cosmetic industry)... it's then replaced with synthetics to boost lather etc. A true handmade soap is comprised of mother nature's plant or animal butters, fats and oils and retains all of the natural glycerin that occurs during the soap making process.

Usually when you feel "squeaky clean" it's because your skin has temporarily been stripped of it's natural surface oils...thus the tight, dry after feel you may get. This is not to say all syndets are bad...there are good ones, and certainly all handmade soap is not good. What's important is a well balanced formula that is kind to your skin.

MarshalArtist likes this.
  19. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

What about stuff like Kiss My Face or Dr. Bronner's? I use bar soap to wash my entire body, even my hair. I'm tired of chemicals.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My go-to and favorite 'artisan' bar....
    SafariScreenSnapz015.jpg
    It does, however, contain a preservative, the use of which has caused some concern: See Here
    Ingredients: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Perfume, Sage Leaf, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxyde, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Rosemary Extract, Sunflower Seed Oil