artisan bath bars

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Hersh, Jul 19, 2014.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Some shave soaps have that. I know that Proraso for sure has that. I think it's to make it easier to lather in hard water.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Added purely to prevent unwanted mold or bacteria growth in soaps and cosmetics; a formalydehyde-derived preservative.

3. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Just checked the ingredient decks on both. They are "true soap" and labeled as such per FDA regulations. Dr Bonners is a liquid soap, not detergent. Liquid soap can be made by using potassium hydroxide instead of sodium hydroxide and a different process than bar soap. Kiss My Face is also a true soap, and interestingly enough a sea salt bar! Sea salt bars always contain high amounts of coconut oil, as it is the only oil that once saponified will lather in salt water. The drying effect of high coconut oil soap is offset by using a much higher superfat level. Sea salt soaps are my favorite to make and the only body soap I use. Like a dip in the ocean for your skin:)

Interestingly enough, the FDA does not consider "true soap" a cosmetic and therefore does not require an ingredient deck on the packaging. A wise soap maker (is selling or gifting) will always include one due to the various allergic reactions people can have. Syndet bars must display an ingredient deck and should not be labeled or advertised as soap. They fall under FDA cosmetic guidelines.

Boojum1 and drjenkins like this.
  4. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I must have read multiple things about it then.

5. Salty Belle

EDTA is added in soap to aid lather in hard water as HolyRollah said....think water softener. We have super hard water here, thus my love of sea salt soap...salt is a natural water softener:)

MarshalArtist likes this.
  6. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

I've been using Stirling for the past 5 months now and won't use anything else. I use Sharp Dressed Man, Bay Rum, and Vanilla Sandalwood.

7. Salty Belle

On second look the Kiss My Face soap is probably not a salt bar. Looking at the ingredients again, salt is last on the list, so was used at the lowest percentage. Salt is probably used as a in place of EDTA to assist lather in hard water. Sea Salt soaps usually have 5o% or more in relation to the total weight of oils used.

8. Salty Belle

I believe Rue de Provence brand is a "milled soap".

9. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

I do not tolerate strong scents very well so I prefer Mystic Waters and the like because the scents are not overly done. I use her "Dry Skin Soap" unscented.
    One thing to remember is that the calcium in hard water will form water insoluble salts with the fatty acids in true soaps. If you have hard water, you must use a soap with EDTA or added sodium salt to counteract this. Otherwise your soap will form a hard shell around itself and stop working.
    I have been curious about Nancy Boy's bath soap too. Has anyone tried it? @Darkbulb?

10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I juts ordered myself some Calendula soap from this little family run place. I hope it is good.

http://goatmilkstuff.com/

11. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

For me, the best soap at the best price available is Amish Farms.
    [​IMG]

It isn't pretty, but man, it works well. It cleared my dry skin right up. It's all natural and I find it great as a shampoo bar too (note, I have a no. 2 buzz cut, so I cannot confirm it works on longer hair). It states they are 4oz. bars, but the bars are rough cut, so some are much bigger, but I don't think any are smaller. The price point rocks for good soap also, as a bag of 5 bars is 11 bucks on Amazon. Here's the ingredients and a little about it:
    http://amishfarmssoap.com/amish-soap/

And no, I don't work for these people and am not affiliated, just a fan.