AS Balm / AS Splash / Cologne??

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rene, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Since I read the topic about Shower or Shave of the Day more often, it seems that several members use an ASB and and AS (and sometimes even and EdT or Cologne) after the "enjoyment of the day"

I myself use only an AS (Aqua Velva, Musgo Real, Proraso, La Toja) or a Cologne (Penhaligon's Racquets), but never on the same routine...

I mean, one day I use the AV, the next day Penhaligon's, then Musgo, etc. but some of you guys use several items after each other post-shave.

Can anyone tell me what his purpose is in this routine?

Can it be that ASB is for the skin care, splash for the coolness/anti/sceptic and cologne for the fragrance??

Thanks for the info!

2. Razor&Pens

Razor&Pens New Member

I often use witch hazel or an alum block before an aftershave splash or balm. I only use cologne if the a/s is unscented or matches the a/s (ie., Burts Bees bay rum aftershave and cologne).

3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

That is my reasoning. Many A/S don't last long enough in the scent department.

4. freddy88

freddy88 Member

I only use a scented AS or an EdT. Never both after the same shave.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I find that the splashes generally don't linger too long. And if they do, they seem to go OK with what ever cologne I put on... I really can't say I've had any issue with scents clashing on me....

6. SilverB

SilverB New Member

I use Thayers Witch Hazel too. I spash it on my face rather than using a cotton swab. The scent doesn't stay too long. But shaving is usually the first thing I do to get ready and putting on cologne is one of the last things I spray on before leaving the house. So theres a good amount of soak time for the Witch Hazel to do its thing before I put any other product on me.

And its a little funny cause my cologne is not cologne at all...its Kenneth Cole Black After Shave Splash. Its not as strong as the cologne scent, which is what Im going for.

7. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I can only answer for myself, but you nailed it.. Most days I only use a splash and that is enough, but sometimes I feel like I need the extra moisturizing of a balm or milk.

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I just started dabbling in cologne and EDT. Generally though, I'll use WH and some sort of moisturizer (aloe vera mixed with WH or Corn Huskers Lotion applied after straight WH). After that a splash (aqua velva, clubman bay rum, etc.) most of the AS splash type products generally have a very short linger time so the cologne is added just for longevity of the smell good. Since some AS splashes seem to last longer, I can either choose a capatible cologne or skip cologne all together when using stouter AS splashes. Sometimes I'll even double up on the AS splash (i.e. Osage Rub followed up by AV) However, Aqua Velva tends to have a bit more linger time so I guess in that one, it's pretty much functioning as a cologne because Osage Rub (while a great menthol blast and very refreshing) is pretty smell neutral. What little smell there is seems to disappate fairly quickly.

9. saltypete

saltypete New Member

For me the alum, ASB or AS splash is to soothe the skin I've just passsed a very sharp blade over. The cologne or EDT is for scent and I apply it to my neck , behind my ears, my chest and other pulse points (wrists). I NEVER put cologne on my freshly shaved face. I find that my ASB's and splashed don't have much scent anyway so they never interfere with my cologne.

Pete

10. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

I have a different theory. Just like some wines pair up with different foods...so are AF balms, splashes and colognes. For example, when I use Proraso soap, I like to end the shave with AV. When using TOBS cream; I like to end the exercise with Musgo Real. However, this applies to the person and should not be taken like the laws of the "Pedes and Persians that changeth not"