Astra Superior Platinum new packaging, or counterfeit??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jfever311, Nov 13, 2009.

1. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Attached Files:

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I would not consider them counterfeit. They just aren't in the US packaging.

3. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Please elaborate, JoAnna.

4. Queen of Blades

Elaborate what? They came from Turkey. If the packaging was completely in English it wouldn't exactly help sell the product. The lack of plastic may be some sort of Turkey environmental thing. I don't know, but I just wouldn't consider them counterfeit.

5. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Good point.

Have you seen other blades that were packaged different, depending on what country they were going to? What you said does make sense, I am just very skeptical. About everything.

6. Queen of Blades

Just shave with them. That'll tell you all you need to know.

Wilkinson Sword seems to have 5 zillion different package styles.

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've seen the American Personna blades in a variety of packages and dispensers, all depending on where they're being sold.

Not quite the same as your package of blades, but it does indicate a precedent.

8. BullGoose

BullGoose Well-Known Member

The lack of plastic is not a worry at all...it is the new environmentally friendly packaging. I carry these exact blades in my store (although the wording is slightly different on my cartons).

Attached Files:

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've seen the two different packages, both plastic and cardboard in pictures from people who I trust and love these blades. If you notice any problems in how they shave, let us know. It's always good to watch out for conterfeit blades, though I say it's not likely in this case.

10. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Wow. Quite a response. I reckon you guys know more about this than I do.

So, then it seems that the lie of global warming is finally seeping into my shaving gear.

11. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I've bought the Astra blades from BullGoose and they are the same blades as the plastic boxed ones.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Global warming isn't a lie. Global temperatures have a definite upward trend over the last 30 years. The real question comes into the cause of that trend and likelihood that it will continue. It's the over-reaction to various speculation related to global warming that has crept into your shaving gear.

13. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

I will not get into this on the forums, for I know where it will lead. We can discuss this further via PM if you would like.

No offense or anything, but we all know where discussions like this eventually lead. I rather enjoy a good debate!! :D

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

he is related to Rolls, after all...

15. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

yeah, that...analysis can show a slight warming of the planet over a large period of time

when I hear the phrase "global warming", to me it's a catch-phrase that means you accept that this is somehow something we've caused in only the last 100 years

...which I don't buy

but, ChemErik has a valid point :D

and the blades look genuine to me

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Back to the blades... I have received from in the cardboard box and some in plastic. I don't think that there have been any difference in performance.

17. Goby

Goby New Member

Counterfeit? Are you serious?

I can't believe that anyone would make counterfeit blades, except MAYBE Feathers or Swedes, right?

What is the cheapest blade in the world? Maybe $5.00 for 100 for really terrible blades. And you bought yours for $10.00? So they counterfeit the box and someone has machinery to counterfeit the blade markings too? For a mere $5.00 per box?

That doesn't seem to make economic sense to me.... but of course I could be wrong. Do counterfeit blades really exist?

18. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

I don't think they exist in any great number. I only ever heard one legitimate reference to some counterfeit Lords almost two years ago, and nothing definitive regarding any other blades being counterfeited. But "are these counterfeit" type posts always pop up and anything slightly different is always suspect. I think like you, the money to be made wouldn't warrant the enterprise of counterfeiting.

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Although this isn't a pure case of counterfeit, the following is an actual case of copyright violations:

In 2007 Dorco and a US importer (Pace) got in legal trouble due to some of their DE blades being marked with ASR patent numbers and packaged too similar to Personna blades and being sold in similar packaging. If you look close enough, you can see the differences in the packaging and the blades. However, if you weren't looking, you could easily grab the cheaper Dorco blades. You can still find them in some dollar stores - just look for the cardboard box that says made in Korea. They don't have the ASR patents on them anymore. http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/torts-business-torts/5279330-1.html

20. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Those are the real things.. I have the same packaging but just with English.