AsylumGuido's Guide to Super Speed Identification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Mr.Gentleman

Mr.Gentleman New Member

I'm amazed how I was lucky! :happy005

TNX for answer!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. APC

APC Member

Gillette codes

What vintage does an F1 code indicate?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

An F-1 would be 1st quarter of 1960.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

I have a Notched no date SS, but how do I get mine that shinny?

Thanks for the notching pics, it really helps bc I have nothing for comparison.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Try using MAAS polish. You may find some at Walgreens or Wal-Mart.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. newmikemac

newmikemac New Member

I am now going to be able to look at my razors differently

Thanks. This is really great. I had no idea there were so many different variants. I guess that's a good excuse to have a whole lot of different ones.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Found and bought a Super Speed at an antique mall this weekend. The date code is D-1. From doing research am i correct that this means it was made in the 1st Qtr of '58?

Thanks

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yes you are. Is it a standard 50's style as shown in the opening post in this thread, or perhaps the '58 TV Special which was also produced with a D-1 date code?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I think it is probably a standard 50's style rather than the TV Special but not sure...I only found this post today. When I was researching last night I didn't see any good picture detail like yours above so I didn't quit get the difference but can see it here! I should have brought it to work with me today. :) It came in a tan and clear case unlike the tv special one shown here. I know that doesn't mean thats the original case...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup. The tan case is a standard 50's Style case. The heavy red tips used a maroon case that matched its tip and the lite weight blue tip came in a powder blue case.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. Special_K

Special_K New Member

yup it's a 50's style...has the horizontal lines that make the squares. this sticky is great for identification thanks.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Fantastic informative thread

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. herbnerd

herbnerd New Member

That explains a lot.

Thanks.

I bought a Blue Tip from a member on another site. I got a good shave with it, but felt I wanted something a little more aggressive. I even tried opening it up a little so the blade wasn't screwed down tight - BIG MISTAKE!

OK - perhaps I need to look for a standard Superspeed or a Red Tip. The Blue is probably a little too mild for me.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

An Unusual Red Tip???

I've not seen this kind of red tip before - have you???

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. Teiste

Teiste New Member

thank you so much for this wonderful thread.I love the 40s SS.Great razor.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. I've seen that there are codes on these. Mine says 'B'.
    Does anyone know the significance of the codes? I've heard that a B-2 was manufactured at some point in 1956.

Sorry about the crap quality of my pictures, but I've been putting off buying a new camera so I can buy more shaving stuff. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Thanks for this superb thread with great pictures. :happy096:signs154 I now know that my Super Speed is a '48-'50 version.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. rainman

rainman New Member

Never realized the differences from the 50's to the 60's SS flare Tips before. Great post. How similiar is the 60's head compared to the 70's version? I know that they both have a low profile.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. stubblefree

stubblefree New Member

The writeup is real good.Red Tip should take the cake for its sheer peformance and handling.
    Mr.Gentleman found a cool deal with that RT from Ebay.Wish I could find one.
    I'm open to buying one from any member off B&B for a fair price.Do I hear a call somewhere??

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. GrimRep_er

GrimRep_er New Member

Cool thread, I'll be coming back here. I just got a gillette superspped on ebay, don't know the year though.

PatrickA51 likes this.